Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 178 54.27%
Kansas City 150 45.73%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:29 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

I don't understand that statement. Everyone "struggles to stay relevant". We live in a competitive, mobile country where cities in different states and regions compete directly with each other for business and residents.
KC does well enough in that regard. Texas does better. The latter benefits more from the current southward trend that exists thanks in no small part to the invention of air conditioning. Texas is also extremely business freindly. KC is too, just not as much and it's not on as many people's radars for various reasons.
Austin and San Antonio happen to be the only cities I somewhat tolerate in a state that I otherwise loathe. Therefore to me, perhaps me only, they feel far more disconnected and isolated than Kansas City. Houston is a level of awful unto it's own, and Dallas is a place I would only pass through on my way out of Texas if I lived in Austin. Houston and the Gulf Coast would be as good as non-existent.
For those of us who don't like Austin or Texas in general, it's not so much that they do things horribly wrong, it's that they do things in ways that we don't like or understand. I feel the same way about Indiana and Virginia so don't take it so personally. Just another place I choose not to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie 2010 View Post
Only on CD would people chose KC over Austin. Austin is the capital of the second largest state and is growing rapidly. KC is struggling to stay relevant.
Perhaps some people's criteria for desirability goes beyond capital status and growth rate. Otherwise, we would all be heading to Sacramento and Tallahassee.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 PM

404 posts, read 456,928 times
Quote:
Only on CD would people chose KC over Austin. Austin is the capital of the second largest state and is growing rapidly. KC is struggling to stay relevant.
If kc is struggling to stay relevant then Austin is struggling to become relevant.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Perhaps some people's criteria for desirability goes beyond capital status and growth rate. Otherwise, we would all be heading to Sacramento and Tallahassee.
The only reason people move to NYC is to springboard to Albany. What can possibly be better than the capital of the world except the capital of the capital of the world? Everyone knows that.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I don't understand that statement. Everyone "struggles to stay relevant". We live in a competitive, mobile country where cities in different states and regions compete directly with each other for business and residents.
KC does well enough in that regard. Texas does better. The latter benefits more from the current southward trend that exists thanks in no small part to the invention of air conditioning. Texas is also extremely business freindly. KC is too, just not as much and it's not on as many people's radars for various reasons.
Austin and San Antonio happen to be the only cities I somewhat tolerate in a state that I otherwise loathe. Therefore to me, perhaps me only, they feel far more disconnected and isolated than Kansas City. Houston is a level of awful unto it's own, and Dallas is a place I would only pass through on my way out of Texas if I lived in Austin. Houston and the Gulf Coast would be as good as non-existent.
For those of us who don't like Austin or Texas in general, it's not so much that they do things horribly wrong, it's that they do things in ways that we don't like or understand. I feel the same way about Indiana and Virginia so don't take it so personally. Just another place I choose not to live.
Lol. Dallas & Fort Worth do share some similarities with Kansas City.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 PM

146 posts, read 223,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
If kc is struggling to stay relevant then Austin is struggling to become relevant.
Too perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Lol. Dallas & Fort Worth do share some similarities with Kansas City.
OK but doesn't every city in America have some similar qualities to another?
KC is very, very different from Dallas and I'm glad about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The only reason people move to NYC is to springboard to Albany. What can possibly be better than the capital of the world except the capital of the capital of the world? Everyone knows that.
THAT is deeeeeeep

Last edited by rumba77; 06-07-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Only on CD would people chose KC over Austin.
So you're saying that only on a website forum dedicated to learning and discussion about cities where people highly interested in urban design, architecture, nightlife, QOL, COL, dedicated transit and other issues related directly to cities would people vote for KC over Austin?

OK, I'll take it

Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
So you're saying that only on a website forum dedicated to learning and discussion about cities where people highly interested in urban design, architecture, nightlife, QOL, COL, dedicated transit and other issues related directly to cities would people vote for KC over Austin?

OK, I'll take it
Nightlife and QOL are highly subjective. So is architecture.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
KC is very, very different from Dallas and I'm glad about that.
Some of the older architecture here is very similar to what you find in Tulsa & KCMO.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:51 PM

KC blows Austin away in almost every category

Quote:
America’s Favorite Cities
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-favorite-cities-2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City