Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Is that really true? More than half of Toronto is foreign born? Seems a bit high, even with Canada's liberal immigration policy.
Yes it is true

A snapshot of Toronto: 51% of residents were born outside Canada, Vital Signs Report finds | National Post

The vast majority of Toronto's growth comes from immigration. This has been the case for decades now. That is why I said in another thread that Toronto doesn't have a Quaker feel - at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
And mostly highly Educated immigrants to grow Toronto as Canada's immigration policy HUGELY favors the Skilled immigrants. Exceptions are another process with less success.

Guess the rest will have to settle for the US? As it doesn't chose BY FAR the Best Educated desired. But we are beneath smarter Canada in this..... pun intended. Someone needs to alert Trump on this out-smarting of the US for the elite educated too.
The U.S seems to do well in terms of highly educated immigrants. A lot of Silicon Valley's success has been as a result of immigrants as well as Seattle etc. I think what you're getting at here is that Canada doesn't get nearly as much representative percentage of illegal immigrants and this is absolutely true and a big part of that is Geography unless they become really amazing swimmers and very adept at handling the cold.

That said - Canada has seen a LARGE percentage increase in illegal immigrants from the U.S since Trump's election. Ask Emerson Manitoba about that.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The U.S seems to do well in terms of highly educated immigrants. A lot of Silicon Valley's success has been as a result of immigrants as well as Seattle etc. I think what you're getting at here is that Canada doesn't get nearly as much representative percentage of illegal immigrants and this is absolutely true and a big part of that is Geography unless they become really amazing swimmers and very adept at handling the cold.

That said - Canada has seen a LARGE percentage increase in illegal immigrants from the U.S since Trump's election. Ask Emerson Manitoba about that.
My sympathy to Manitoba. Maybe the Big Earthquake is coming to Cali or Pacific US Northwest some know? A US bubble to about burst, or Alaskans seeking a bit warmer climate to go a bit more south?

You can ask Botticelli for the comparison stats on the % of US immigrants highly educated. He cleared that up in a thread months ago....

But all this is off topic now.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My sympathy to Manitoba. Maybe the Big Earthquake is coming to Cali or Pacific US Northwest some know? A US bubble to about burst, or Alaskans seeking a bit warmer climate to go a bit more south?

You can ask Botticelli for the comparison stats on the % of US immigrants highly educated. He cleared that up in a thread months ago....

But all this is off topic now.
I'm not familiar with his stats tbh but anyway - attracting skilled immigrants Is something I don't think should be used against any country including the U.S - have at it!

I will not post anymore on this topic either

Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Strange that DC metro population is being sort of downplayed here by you. When all know DC proper's population alone iis virtually irreverent in city vs. city comparisons.

Metro DC -- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area
-- Population - 6,098,283

Metro Chicago -- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI
-- population 9,427,676

We all hear the CSA's add Baltimore to DC metro to come much closer to Chicago's CSA
So the 4-times bigger then Chicago is just as irreverent here as if CSA vs CSA. Arguments are fought for which number gives your region or city the most bang. Here you want to DOWNPLAY IT for DC?

Philly closer to Europe? Not getting that either. There have been discussions on which US city is most European. There were arguments for DC.

For international tourist. Just as Chicago struggles by the MIGHTY NYC PULL and even LA for Hollywood. Even DC's. Free National museums do not draw them as US politics has little interest in out political in-fighting and our international policy to lure more to DC. We just THINK they all want to see the White House and US Capital.

But you trying to claim DC's lower International visitor count has something to do with its population and DC proper smallîsh? Is kind of false.
I don't think size of city or metro is end all be all in this discussion, because this seems to be related to airport traffic to and from these cities from international destinations. So we must take it with a grain of salt, but nonetheless, Chicago is well ahead of all DC-Baltimore in passenger traffic volume:

Chicago: 99,277,247
Washington DC-Baltimore: 66,669,853

Yet is behind DC (i don't know what metric is being counted here MSA, CSA etc), in international visitors.

Washington D.C.: 2.18 million international visitors
Chicago: 2.08 million international visitors

For Chicago this doesn't add up well.

The point about Philly is that, it too is closer to Europe than is Chicago, and it's international tourism numbers are no where near Chicago's or DC's. Therefore bringing up a point about DC being physically closer to Europe than Chicago makes no sense.

Also if this is strictly from airport traffic, then actually the contrast to Bajan's comment earlier could apply here. DC's numbers might actually be deflated honestly due to proximity to Newark and JFK. One could easily fly in and out of the country and then domestically travel to DC via bus/train and not be counted in DC's international tourism numbers. This is assuming the report is going by strictly air traffic.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-26-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm surprised that Houston is as high as it is. Good for Houston. But these aren't strictly vacationers right? This could be folks in town for business.

Explains Houston punching above its weight with expenses. Those strip clubs getting major business.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:35 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't think size of city or metro is end all be all in this discussion, because this seems to be related to airport traffic to and from these cities from international destinations. So we must take it with a grain of salt, but nonetheless, Chicago is well ahead of all DC-Baltimore in passenger traffic volume:

Yet is behind DC (i don't know what metric is being counted here MSA, CSA etc), in international visitors.

The point about Philly is that, it too is closer to Europe than is Chicago, and it's international tourism numbers are no where near Chicago's or DC's. Therefore bringing up a point about DC being physically closer to Europe than Chicago makes no sense.

Also if this is strictly from airport traffic, then actually the contrast to Bajan's comment earlier could apply here. DC's numbers might actually be deflated honestly due to proximity to Newark and JFK. One could easily fly in and out of the country and then domestically travel to DC via bus/train and not be counted in DC's international tourism numbers. This is assuming the report is going by strictly air traffic.
It is clear Chicago to Philly suffer in the fight for international Tourist from Mighty NYC's pull and the west coast California mystique and LA with Hollywood and SF Romanticized. Chicago is seen as merely a smaller NYC. So why not chose other varied cities as large as our Nation is.

DC is the Nations Capital with Free National museums. Some claimed it WAS AWEFUL in DC to be so low as a Capital city in International Tourism? I added most in the world today HATE our Politics and our policy's abroad as to have LOW INTEREST in seeing DC with our Capital building and White House. So I DO NOT merely blame Mighty NYC's draw as a reason.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Is that really true? More than half of Toronto is foreign born? Seems a bit high, even with Canada's liberal immigration policy.
51% of Toronto Residents Born Outside of Canada

This was the census from 2014, and I'd imagine that number is now even higher given that the Canadian government increased permanent resident immigrant quotas to 300,000.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yes I responded to him/her before you with the exact same link that you used showing that 51 percent of Toronto residents were foreign born but izz ok

Add as well that domestic migration levels before 2014 were really being chipped away by the oil boom in Alberta. Now that the boom is over, I don't expect Calgary and Edmonton will attract as many as they were so the big 3 in Canada should resume being the largest magnets of domestic migration in the country again so I think the next census will capture that.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-27-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Chicago is a huge domestic hub (particularly UAL hub) in the U.S. There are also a lot of people who connect in Chicago to go to all points in the U.S Midwest. In a similar vein to how a lot of people connect in Atlanta (DAL's fortress hub) to go to all points in the U.S S.E though I suspect the O/D percentage in Chicago is higher given its population and prominence.

I'm not surprised D.C is strong in terms of international visitation given it is the capital of the U.S. A lot of iconic points of interests that would be on a more global conscience are located in the city along with the fact that as the political capital of the largest and most influential country in the world, people are going to go there. Philadelphia on the other hand just doesn't really resonate with people around the world and most probably don't know a lot about it. Chicago is a huge business city and a big hub so its going to get its name out there because of those reasons. NYC is just NYC lol..

Quote:

DC is the Nations Capital with Free National museums. Some claimed it WAS AWEFUL in DC to be so low as a Capital city in International Tourism? I added most in the world today HATE our Politics and our policy's abroad as to have LOW INTEREST in seeing DC with our Capital building and White House. So I DO NOT merely blame Mighty NYC's draw as a reason.
2.18 million isn't bad at all for International visitation but when it comes to the U.S I think that most people in the world think of NYC as THE city to visit. I don't think it has that much to do with politics or anything against D.C tbh. Most people in the world have a way of sort of separating politics from people. It is foolish to not travel to a country just because you have a difference with the politics of it. Politics are well - politics and people are people. I personally separate them as much as I can. It will have some impact though, the international market share of tourism to the U.S is down since Trump and some people may actually be afraid or uneasy for whatever reason(s).

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/24/fo...e-u-s-is-down/

Last edited by fusion2; 05-27-2017 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City