Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Somewhat of a misleading title. Charlotte was NEVER the second largest banking center / city. Bank of America, which is based in Charlotte, was the second largest bank in the US based on total assets. That's all the ranking is based on.
Well that's what the Charlotte Observer said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 PM

266 posts, read 277,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This is true.

I'm also shocked that Houston has more of the world's largest public companies than Los Angeles. LA is tied with DFW? That's insanity.
That's not surprising at all. LA isn't really a corporate HQ city.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,365,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Also to the Boston posters a few posts above, Boston is really on a roll these days. First General Electric and now maybe Aetna. You can easily see why Boston is highly regarded by the academic and research communities worldwide now.
GE is going to Boston but Aetna is going to NYC.

Really neither move is that big of a deal; in both cases it's the top execs moving, not the majority of staff.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:22 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
GE is going to Boston but Aetna is going to NYC.

Really neither move is that big of a deal; in both cases it's the top execs moving, not the majority of staff.
Has Aetna confirmed a move to NYC?

It's a pretty big deal even if the majority of the jobs stay put. The highest earners move out that way and attractive, high-paying positions that can attract top skilled employees would be weakened. Given the cities and states GE and potentially Aetna are moving to, it's also evident that taxes aren't the overwhelming reason for the shift. Connecticut's largest cities have been none too attractive and it seems relatively little investment has been put into making them more attractive. It also seems like there'a constant friction among the many little municipalities especially with the suburbs versus their cities.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 13,833 times
Aetna announced they're moving to NYC:

Insurance Giant Aetna Will Move Corporate HQ From Hartford, CT To Chelsea: Gothamist

So I guess NYC's count is now 105.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:50 AM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.XTTX View Post
Aetna announced they're moving to NYC:

Insurance Giant Aetna Will Move Corporate HQ From Hartford, CT To Chelsea: Gothamist

So I guess NYC's count is now 105.
It hasn't moved yet and the plan is for 2018. I wonder if there's any chance the city and state can convince Aetna to go back on this. In an era where the average US CEO to worker pay ratio is 200/300 to 1, moving 250 of mostly the top brass is going to hurt.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,365,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It hasn't moved yet and the plan is for 2018. I wonder if there's any chance the city and state can convince Aetna to go back on this. In an era where the average US CEO to worker pay ratio is 200/300 to 1, moving 250 of mostly the top brass is going to hurt.
Aetna's CEO has already moved to NYC, and Aetna has already signed a lease for all the office space in a new building on the West Side. I'm guessing the answer is no.

There are rumors that The Hartford could be leaving for NYC too. And this follows Travelers moving HQ to NYC years ago.

This would mean the three major Hartford insurance firms (Aetna, Travelers and the Hartford) could all be in NYC. But it isn't all bad news for Hartford, as the vast majority of employees are staying in Hartford.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM

83 posts, read 84,050 times
Angry XPO Logistics Sucks

Wow, XPO Logistics is a horrid company. Didn't realize they were that large, but now I can see why their customer service is so bad. They do large deliveries for Ikea, Lowes and some Home Depot. I've had problems with them at all three companies. I will go to Ikea and pick up large orders sometimes just to not have to deal with XPO Logistics Sucks.com, lol.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM

389 posts, read 331,370 times
Interesting list. A lot of fortune 1000 companies didn't even make the list.

Last edited by ms12345; 11-28-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City