Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It seems pretty hard to get an urban appartment anywhere for under 800, unless it's in a bad area. Charlotte and Nashville are getting just as bad, but they still aren't and never will be D.C level bad.
I know, that's what I said. Even as small as Charleston is, a place for $800 downtown is not the best idea either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM

617 posts, read 552,394 times
You can forget about anything in the City of Atlanta or the majority of its Northern Suburbs for anything under $800. Atleast anything that is safe or desirable. That price point your best bet would be on the south side suburbs.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Chicago to be honest is the only Midwestern city that has really piqued my interest. Again the cold is big concern, but its very urban and seems to give a mini-NY feel without the NY price.
As a midwesterner and former Chicago resident, I understand. Living in a place with continuous subzero wind chill factor and snow on the ground 2 or 3 months a year can be challenging. Chicago has a sense of hustle to it that smaller cities don't have. That can be appealing to people who have strong work ethic and who like big city living.

If Minneapolis was further south and wasn't so cold I would be therre.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:50 AM

20 posts, read 18,157 times
Quote:
$800 seems like a good starting point, but with how expensive the south is getting, I've noticed that $800 is about what you're gonna get for a complex out in the exurbs/suburbs, or for tight shack in the city. Everyone thinks you only need roommates or s/o's to live with in the north and west, but same is true for the south.

From what I've seen, Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all starting at comparable levels, which I guess could be seen a little high. Still much better than the asking prices up north though.

What's considered high in Chicago? Could you live anywhere near the loop or fringe areas for say $900-1,000/mth? I've heard that Chicago typically pays well.
Yeah I believe Chicago jobs pay well for it being the biggest city in the Midwest and would guess $1,000 a month and above considered high there.. Other cities in Illinois probably about $500 or $600 a month lol.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
You can forget about anything in the City of Atlanta or the majority of its Northern Suburbs for anything under $800. Atleast anything that is safe or desirable. That price point your best bet would be on the south side suburbs.
I think we're all in agreement here.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
As a midwesterner and former Chicago resident, I understand. Living in a place with continuous subzero wind chill factor and snow on the ground 2 or 3 months a year can be challenging. Chicago has a sense of hustle to it that smaller cities don't have. That can be appealing to people who have strong work ethic and who like big city living. If Minneapolis was further south and wasn't so cold I would be therre.
Yep, curse that lake effect weather. For southerners, I think that's the biggest thing that holds us back from those cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar X View Post
Yeah I believe Chicago jobs pay well for it being the biggest city in the Midwest and would guess $1,000 a month and above considered high there.. Other cities in Illinois probably about $500 or $600 a month lol.
I see. Yeah I wish there was a definite line to what is "cheap", what is "expensive." I thought looking at the national average then comparing from that was a good idea, but Nashville is right on the average, yet everyone keeps calling it expensive.

So either the calculators are completely unreliable, or America as a whole has turned into Monaco.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I see. Yeah I wish there was a definite line to what is "cheap", what is "expensive." I thought looking at the national average then comparing from that was a good idea, but Nashville is right on the average, yet everyone keeps calling it expensive.

So either the calculators are completely unreliable, or America as a whole has turned into Monaco.
I'm wondering if people basing their assessment of Nashville being expensive on the price points of the newest apartments. They aren't going to be much different than what you'll find in Charlotte or Atlanta.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm wondering if people basing their assessment of Nashville being expensive on the price points of the newest apartments. They aren't going to be much different than what you'll find in Charlotte or Atlanta.
This is exactly what I said a page or so ago, about word for word. We're completely on the same page. DC is DC, but all 4 of these other cities have their fair share of luxury places going up everywhere, and that is what you'll see first when you start searching online.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Where can you find cheaper older apartments in Nashville that aren't in bad neighborhoods?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I said a page or so ago, about word for word. We're completely on the same page. DC is DC, but all 4 of these other cities have their fair share of luxury places going up everywhere, and that is what you'll see first when you start searching online.
Absolutely. Hell, they all even look the same, more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Where can you find cheaper older apartments in Nashville that aren't in bad neighborhoods?
Not familiar with Nashville on that level, but I know you can definitely find them in Charlotte and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City