Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Let me ask you a question, because I honestly don't know better:

North of I-4, does Miami or Atlanta have more pull in the following regions: Ocala, Gainesville, Daytona, Jacksonville?
Spade said it best, Gainesville and areas North are more influenced by Atlanta. Although the argument can be made, that Miami's influence kinda extends to Tallahassee. HONESTLY, there's so much traveling between Miami and Tallahassee because of FSU, and FAMU, that ALOT of students from those schools tend to be from SoFla. So even from a cultural standpoint, alot of the music, slang, and all around fashion that's found in the streets of Tallahassee, Gainseville, Jacksonville, and other North Florida locales. Honestly, I'd say Miami's and Atlanta's influence over the Florida panhandle are equal, while Miami has FIRM influence over all cities along and below the I-4 Corridor. I had to rethink my first post where I said that Atlanta has MORE influence over the Panhandle than Miami does. Because honestly, just speaking from a Black perspective, Miami's overall culture has spread(even if in little increments) to other urban areas of NoFla.

I know we're not discussing the streets, but back in the 1980's migratory drug-dealing was the wave. And alot of the drug-dealers from Miami would work their way up the I-95, 1-75, and I-10 corridors and traffic drugs to other cities throughout the South. The local police in alot of these small towns and even in the larger cities like ATL, would put an umbrella term over any and EVERY drug dealer who was from Miami. They'd call them "The Miami Boys".

But stepping away from Drug Dealing, musically Miami had a large influence over GA and the rest of the South through Bass Music. Miami Bass and Uncle Luke were the soundtracks to Atlanta's Freaknik Fest in the 90's. All of what I'm saying may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it's jus showing the cultural turnover between the two states and specifically between the two cities(Miami and Atlanta). I'm just trying to show how Miami may have had just as much influence over certain parts of GA, as Atlanta did certain parts of FLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
You've got to be joking. Please name some ways in which Atlanta influences the daily lives of people outside of Georgia. I bet you're going to say Home Depot, rap videos and an airport. All large cities have things that influence the rest of the world. Atlanta doesn't somehow have more than usual for an urban area of it's size. I mean we're not talking New York, L.A. or Silicone Valley here. People are seriously overestimating the daily influence certain cities have on other places. It's just human nature to do so.
Ever heard of a little organization called the CDC? You know, the same one that is saving you from the Zika virus?

Or how about The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta? The same one with branch offices in Jacksonville and Miami? They, along with the Atlanta office of the FDIC manage and supervise all of the banks in Florida along with processing the checks your write and ensuring your ATM dispenses cash when you need it.

Speaking of which, every single Federal Court and Agency that touch your life are here, not in Florida. You can't even get to the Courts or Agencies in D.C. without wending your way through their Atlanta counterparts first.

Shall I go on?

And no, I had no intention of bringing up rap music, Home Depot or our superior Airport.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It has more influence on the panhandle than Miami does. But the bulk of the population of Florida lives along I-4 and below. And Miami firmly has more influence on the cities along I-4 and down. Most of the consulates are in Miami, so immigrants who live all over Florida have to flock to Miami to get their immigration status situated. Any large scale event that happens in Miami or any large scale festivals or concerts that are geared towards a certain ethnic group, will draw thousands of that group to Miami from the surrounding cities in Florida and the greater Southeastern US, even drawing folks from GA, NC, and VA. For instance, the annual Haitian Flag Day concerts in Miami featuring some of the premier Haitian artist, drew thousands of tourist from as far North as NYC. I knew plenty of Haitians in NC, and Atlanta going down there annually. Sports-wise the Dolphins go pretty far North into the state, as do the Miami Heat. Outside of Atlanta having a little bit of jurisdictional power over many states in the Southeast(admittedly including Florida) I don't see how it influences most of Florida outside of the panhandle, more than Miami does.
I'm talking in terms of business and government more than anything else. In terms of business, Atlanta has a virtual lock on the State from the I-4 corridor North - and yes, I am absolutely including Orlando and Tampa Bay. As far as the Federal government, Atlanta's influence covers the State.

On a social level most Floridians outside of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties don't really have much love for Miami at all.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm talking in terms of business and government more than anything else. In terms of business, Atlanta has a virtual lock on the State from the I-4 corridor North - and yes, I am absolutely including Orlando and Tampa Bay. As far as the Federal government, Atlanta's influence covers the State.

On a social level most Floridians outside of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties don't really have much love for Miami at all.
Wwll you're nust wrong there buddy. Atlanta hardly influences Tampa and Orlando. They turn more to Miami. Only thing those cities have is a lot of Georgian license plates frlm the Atlanta area tourists that flood the area. Stop trying to oversell Atlanta's sphere. Miami has a big pull on most of Florida.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wwll you're nust wrong there buddy. Atlanta hardly influences Tampa and Orlando. They turn more to Miami. Only thing those cities have is a lot of Georgian license plates frlm the Atlanta area tourists that flood the area. Stop trying to oversell Atlanta's sphere. Miami has a big pull on most of Florida.
It has hardly any pull at all. Miami influences the Caribbean and Latin America way more than it does it's home State. Period.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM

307 posts, read 330,569 times
Quote:
Ever heard of a little organization called the CDC? You know, the same one that is saving you from the Zika virus?

Or how about The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta? The same one with branch offices in Jacksonville and Miami? They, along with the Atlanta office of the FDIC manage and supervise all of the banks in Florida along with processing the checks your write and ensuring your ATM dispenses cash when you need it.

Speaking of which, every single Federal Court and Agency that touch your life are here, not in Florida. You can't even get to the Courts or Agencies in D.C. without wending your way through their Atlanta counterparts first.

Shall I go on?

And no, I had no intention of bringing up rap music, Home Depot or our superior Airport.

But the same could be said about all large cities influencing each other. The idea that Florida is somehow influenced by Atlanta more than cities such as Dallas or Houston or any other large urban area comparable in population to Atlanta is crazy. Every large city has ways in which they influence the world. It's the same as saying that Miami influences places vulnerable to hurricanes since the National Hurricane Center is located there. Or that Miami influences the whole Spanish speaking population of the U.S. since the majority of the Spanish television programs are filmed there. No one in Miami would claim Miami has influence because of those things because they are insignificant in the daily lives of people and they don't project the culture of Miami onto the U.S. The things you named fall into exactly the same category.

Most people have no idea the things you named are located in Atlanta. It's like you are just naming things Atlanta has just to prove it somehow has more influence than other cities of its size. All large cities can name off thousands of things just like the ones you named. You might as well start naming companies located in Atlanta at this point. You act like Atlanta is some mega city or something with far reaching influences​ in the daily lives of people. It's really just becoming comical. But please feel free to start naming everything else Atlanta has so we fully understand how influential it is. I would also love to hear how Atlanta has a "virtual lock" on business in Tampa, Orlando and North Florida as you claim it does.

Last edited by pinytr; 06-12-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
But the same could be said about all large cities influencing each other. The idea that Florida is somehow influenced by Atlanta more than cities such as Dallas or Houston or any other large city comparable in population to Atlanta is crazy. Every large city has ways in which they influence the world. It's the same as saying that Miami influences places vulnerable to hurricanes since the National Hurricane Center is located there. Or that Miami influences the whole Spanish speaking population of the U.S. since the majority of Spanish television programs are filmed there. No one in Miami would claim Miami has influence because of those things because they are insignificant in the daily lives of people and they don't project the culture of Miami on the U.S. The things you named fall into exactly the same category.

Most people have no idea the things you named are located in Atlanta. It's like you are just naming things Atlanta has just to show it has influence. All large cities can name off thousands of things just like the ones you named.
Oh, really? Name Miami's top 10 then. And isn't influence being discussed here? Try to keep up.

Quote:
You act like Atlanta is some mega city or something. It's really just becoming comical. But please feel free to start naming everything else Atlanta has so we fully understand how influential it is. Make sure you don't forget Coca Cola and the Olympics. Those two are huge influencers.
Wow, you sure are threatened by Atlanta. I can see why you would be though, with your claim to fame being Burger King and Carnival Cruise Lines.

As you have proven in the past, you can't be reasoned with when it comes to Atlanta. You almost had a stroke when Atlanta's visitor numbers were posted, and in your desperate attempt to discredit them you claimed the City was using connecting passenger numbers to inflate the count, LOL!

Maybe you should post more condo skyline videos to prove Miami is really super influential again?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 PM

307 posts, read 330,569 times
Quote:
Oh, really? Name Miami's top 10 then. And isn't influence being discussed here? Try to keep up.

Wow, you sure are threatened by Atlanta. I can see why you would be though, with your claim to fame being Burger King and Carnival Cruise Lines.

As you have proven in the past, you can't be reasoned with when it comes to Atlanta. You almost had a stroke when Atlanta's visitor numbers were posted, and in your desperate attempt to discredit them you claimed the City was using connecting passenger numbers to inflate the count, LOL!

Maybe you should post more condo skyline videos to prove Miami is really super influential again?
I love both Atlanta and Miami. A lot of my extended family lives in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta a few years ago for over 4 years. I'm well aware of what both cities have to offer.

Do you really want to get into a debate about the Atlanta area having more worldwide influence than the Miami area? I think the people on this forum already know which one would win in a blowout.

Last edited by pinytr; 06-12-2017 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 PM

304 posts, read 324,833 times
Quote:

Notice how he can only put down Atlanta but can't come up with a single thing his city has to offer over Atlanta. Probably because he knows there isn't much there. I have already asked the question to another poster to name their cities influences on the rest of the world as compared to Atlanta, and crickets...

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM

304 posts, read 324,833 times
Quote:
I love both Atlanta and Miami. A lot of my extended family lives in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta a few years ago for over 4 years. I'm well aware of what both cities offer.

Do you really want to get into a debate about the Atlanta area having more worldwide influence than the Miami area? I think the people on this forum already know which one would win in a blowout.
I think it's you that doesn't want to get into a debate. Tell us how Miami influences the rest of the world. Not saying it doesn't, but list some things. What famous people from Miami have gone on to influence the world, what institutions have, places, people, culture, etc. I would be willing to say both Miami and Atlanta are on about the same level, but you seem to think Miami is miles ahead, so it should be easy to point out all those areas that make Miami the clear winner. I mean shouldn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City