Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
I love both Atlanta and Miami. A lot of my extended family lives in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta a few years ago for over 4 years. I'm well aware of what both cities offer.
I don't believe you.

Quote:
Do you really want to get into a debate about the Atlanta area having more worldwide influence than the Miami area? I think the people on this forum already know which one would win in a blowout.
I could care less to engage with you over the type of 'influence' you are speaking of. And I've already seen your condo skyline videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Atlanta is the unrivaled hegemon of the South, a region of 80,000,000 people. Dallas isn't even the undisputed hegemon of Texas.

Atlanta is also the cultural capital of African Americana for the entire United States. That's 45,000,000 people who have strong cultural connections to Atlanta.

I certainly consider Atlanta above Dallas. And Boston assuredly so.
Clearly, Atlanta is influencing West Virginia, Virginia, Louisiana, and Kentucky...

Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Clearly, Atlanta is influencing West Virginia, Virginia, Louisiana, and Kentucky...
Not the Virginias...Atlanta's influence in the Virginias is relatively minor. Almost the entirety of the Virginias, probably 90%+, is in DC's sphere. Atlanta is not a big deal here compared to not only DC, but even Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York...

Raleigh-Durham is probably close to a 50/50 DC/Atlanta split. Atlanta may have a slight advantage, but it certainly is not the "unrivaled hegemon" in that area...the rest of North Carolina is all Atlanta, though...

Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm talking in terms of business and government more than anything else. In terms of business, Atlanta has a virtual lock on the State from the I-4 corridor North - and yes, I am absolutely including Orlando and Tampa Bay. As far as the Federal government, Atlanta's influence covers the State.

On a social level most Floridians outside of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties don't really have much love for Miami at all.
How does ATL have a lock over the I-4 Corridor as far as businesses go? I'm not understanding this? Florida's economy is a mix of tourism, construction, and medical/geriatric care. I guess if you mean tourist from GA flocking the state, than I'd guess. But again, outside of Jurisdictional power via banking and the court of appellate, I don't see ATL having that much more influence. If we're merely speaking from a political standpoint, or a banking standpoint, than I see it a tad bit. But then you'd have to concede that Miami has a larger influence over Latin-America than saay, Mexico City and Sau Paulo, in which that case, most of this board would consider that non-sense.

But if we're speaking culturally and or in terms of where residents of the state tend to flock to, to experience a weekend getaway and nightlife and shopping, than Miami certainly has a larger influence on I-4 than Atlanta does.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It has hardly any pull at all. Miami influences the Caribbean and Latin America way more than it does it's home State. Period.
That showcases Miami's importance on a foreign scale. But I'm sure many on here would disagree with you.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
This Miami-Atlanta thing needs to end. I'd say both cities excel at what they do and are great assets to their region.

Comparing them is like apples to oranges.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:10 AM

617 posts, read 552,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
This Miami-Atlanta thing needs to end. I'd say both cities excel at what they do and are great assets to their region.

Comparing them is like apples to oranges.

Or peaches to oranges

Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM

1,122 posts, read 925,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ocala probably is more Miami than Atlanta. Gainesville is more Atlanta than Miami. Gainesville is actually a little closer to Atlanta than it is to Miami. Jacksonville I would say Atlanta but Daytona Beach is bit more tricky. I can hear an argument for both Atlanta and Miami influencing Daytona Beach.
Ocala, Winter Haven, Lake City, etc.... ain't Miami anything; they're as redneck as Valdosta. Joseph Milteer would have felt right at home. And why not? He was from Valdosta.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Or peaches to oranges
Exactly.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Ocala, Winter Haven, Lake City, etc.... ain't Miami anything; they're as redneck as Valdosta. Joseph Milteer would have felt right at home. And why not? He was from Valdosta.
That's really not the point. The question asked which one is more influenced by between Atlanta and Miami and Miami influences Ocala more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City