Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Of These Coastal Southern Cities Offers The Most Pleasant Winters?
Charleston, SC 4 13.79%
Savannah, GA 2 6.90%
Jacksonville, FL 13 44.83%
New Orleans, LA 4 13.79%
Houston, TX 6 20.69%
Other (Please Mention) 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:29 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,311,607 times

Advertisements

For this thread, I include all cities in the South in proximity to the coast, with the exception of those in peninsular Florida (Central/Southern Florida) and the southern reaches of Texas (Rio Grande Valley, the coast from Corpus Christi southwards): these two areas are already well established for having warm winters, so I purposely excluded them for the purposes of more engaging debate.

Simply select your city of choice, then provide evidence (data, reasonable anecdotes, etc) for support.

Last edited by Texyn; 06-03-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,323,352 times
If your goal is to avoid winter as much as possible, Jacksonville would be your best bet. New Orleans and Houston are at similar longitude to Jacksonville but they seem to have more 50 degree rainy days in the winter than Jacksonville does.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Avoidance of winter is indeed the theme of this discussion.

Now, what this means will vary depending on the individual, but the terms include:
- The least amount of freezes
- The most reliable/stable warmth in temperature
- The greatest potential for gardening tender plants
- The least amount of snowfall
- Greatest amount of sunshine (or cloudiness)
- Greatest amount of dryness (or rainfall)

Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 AM

As of now, Jacksonville has the lead, with Houston in second place.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
As of now, Jacksonville has the lead, with Houston in second place.
And now Houston is just 1 away from tying at this point.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:04 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
What about Mobile?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,232,837 times
The western South tends to get hit by strong winter cold fronts a little sooner and more intensely than the eastern South, so I'd have to go with Jacksonville, which also has the advantage of being further south than Charleston and Savannah. Of course anywhere on the Gulf or southern Atlantic coasts, temperatures usually rebound to pleasant levels within a few days. Sometimes the cold fronts stall out before reaching the Atlantic seaboard and it can stay very balmy for weeks even as the majority of the nation is in the depths of winter.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What about Mobile?
Forgot to list it. It can then count as one of the "Other" options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The western South tends to get hit by strong winter cold fronts a little sooner and more intensely than the eastern South, so I'd have to go with Jacksonville, which also has the advantage of being further south than Charleston and Savannah. Of course anywhere on the Gulf or southern Atlantic coasts, temperatures usually rebound to pleasant levels within a few days. Sometimes the cold fronts stall out before reaching the Atlantic seaboard and it can stay very balmy for weeks even as the majority of the nation is in the depths of winter.
I'm out right now, but when I get back, I will elaborate more on this trend, and how it actually puts forth a scenario where one has to deem a "lesser of all evils."

Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 4,323,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Yeah I know those Harsh Canadian cold fronts which occasionally bring snow to the Dallas area can occasionally drop down to Houston and New Orleans. I feel like Jacksonville is less prone to something like this.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,425,968 times
Jacksonville for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City