Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Quality of Growth ( Nashville or Atlanta )
NASHVILLE 21 48.84%
ATLANTA 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What else is there? Im just confused on exactly what type of developments youre talking about.
I named them. Serenbe, Peachtree City, the Beltline, and PATH400 specifically. The last three are transportation-oriented developments which are just as important as office/retail/residential developments.

Infill development like Glenwood Park is worth mentioning as well.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:40 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Nashville has been growing, but not so much throughout the Metro area where it's significant, especially compared to Atlanta. I've always said that Nashville is one of those cities with a lackluster Metro area; not to mention they're missing a second principle city.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
not to mention they're missing a second principle city.
Murfreesboro?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Nashville has been growing, but not so much throughout the Metro area where it's significant, especially compared to Atlanta. I've always said that Nashville is one of those cities with a lackluster Metro area; not to mention they're missing a second principle city.
That's simply not true.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Most of that growth can be due to this...

Quote:
Murfreesboro (the fastest growing city in Tennessee), Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet and Nolensville have benefited from the inflated downtown rents and are welcoming retail expansion and newcomers.
Which is not exactly bad, any growth is good growth; but at the same time I don't see how this changes the outlook on the Metro Area from my perspective. Same goes for Murfreesboro, it might be a principle city, but it doesn't seem like it's making any noise. I mean Atlanta has Decatur/Marrieta/Sandy Springs, Phoenix has Mesa/Glendale, Minneapolis has St.Paul, Seattle has Tacoma/Bellevue, Dallas and Fort Worth, etc.

You really think Franklin/Murfreesbro is on par with those cities, nevertheless with Metro Atlanta?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

Which is not exactly bad, any growth is good growth; but at the same time I don't see how this changes the outlook on the Metro Area from my perspective. Same goes for Murfreesboro, it might be a principle city, but it doesn't seem like it's making any noise. I mean Atlanta has Decatur/Marrieta/Sandy Springs, Phoenix has Mesa/Glendale, Minneapolis has St.Paul, Seattle has Tacoma/Bellevue, Dallas and Fort Worth, etc.

You really think Franklin/Murfreesbro is on par with those cities, nevertheless with Metro Atlanta?
Atlanta really doesn't have a secondary principal city within its metro. Sandy Springs is mainly just a "paper" city as it is just the incorporated suburban northern extension of Atlanta. Franklin and Murfreesboro are probably more like Marietta and Decatur, which are suburbs as opposed to true secondary cities.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Small Business are even making noise in Nashville Amongst all the Rapid Growth!!!

Nashville#

Old 06-07-2017, 11:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:

Murfreesboro and Franklin are gaining their own office space and already have their own jobs. It's not that big of a spillover effect. Nashville is not that expansive. Matter of fact, Franklin is more expensive than Nashville, so if anyone is escaping Nashville for Franklin, it's for more space.

You linked an article talking about inflated rents, yet some companies are choosing to build office space in both Nashville city and in Franklin.

Metro Atlanta is 3x as large. It's edge cities have total office space that rival the entire downtowns of other cities. Of course Nashville isn't gonna compare with that, but in a general sense, Murfreesboro and Franklin do come close to be edge cities. They're booming because they're doing things right on their own, not because Nashville is now Manhattan expensive while they're Detroit cheap.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Quality Metro Growth, in terms of Type of Commercial Developments, Housing, Etc. We both know Atlanta and Nashville are two of the Fastest Growing Metros in the South, but which one does it best as far as steady quality Growth which has nothing to do with size. Nashville at Nearly 2,000,000 and Atlanta with well over 5,000,000 in it's Metro, which one is managing it's growth the best. Atlanta is clearly larger but they are both sprawl giants and Traffic Is horrible in both Cities. The question here today though is who does it better with what's going up as far as Housing in the inner city, office towers, new suburban housing being built. Who is throwing up the most quality and least Cheesiest developments, stores, housing, etc. Quality of people and creating a sort of new and unique culture of it's own as they reinvent themselves in the 21st Century? We are going to have those who have never been to one and will favor the other so we need some true opinions of people who have been to both, seen the change in both and can fairly judge the two, but of course all are opinions as always.
I visit both cities several times a year but have never lived in either one. The new development looks the same in most cities. It is not any different with Atlanta and Nashville.

It would be a different story if we where talking Portland and Nashville or Seattle and Atlanta.

As far as people go, atlanta has taken pride on branding itself on tolerance like the city thats too busy to hate. I am not sure Nashville wants to be a black mecca or a magnet for gays. That does impact demographics and what type of people are attracted to the two cities.

I dont think this is a good comparison because Atlanta is much larger and is futher accustomed to high growth. Atlanta does have fancier buildings but Nashville will have just as many given time. Edge cities don't tell me anything. Building 20 and 30 story highrises 3 or 4 blocks from suburban style homes without consistent sidewalks is tacky to me and represents poor planning. TOD is smart planning and Atlanta is ahead because of HRT and the Atlanta Street car. imho

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 06-07-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City