Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times

Advertisements

Colorado is pretty stinking big and has a huge range of altitudes and a large number of hardiness zones, so you would need to be more specific of where exactly you are looking to get an accurate comparison. With that said, I seriously doubt anyone would typically include Colorado and lush/green together. There are urban areas that are pretty green thanks to irrigation, but far from lush in the typical sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I agree; Colorado is not typically lush/green. The original post also referred to only being okay with a little "show", which looks to mean snow. That would make CO a difficult match since the state gets more than just a little of the white stuff.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:30 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre nut View Post
Are there more rural areas with acreage outside of those cities. Those are way larger than we want.
That's a good question. I was focusing more on the 4 seasons, nature, and strong live theatre scene bits.

Portland is only so-so in the live theatre department and the schools are only so-so to poor in many places.

Asheville is also only so-so in the live theatre department plus it lacks decent paying jobs.

You know the more I think about the combo of affordable land, little snow, and strong live theatre scene the more I'm coming to the conclusion that you're probably out of luck if you're needing all three.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Quote:
We do a lot of hiking and the kids love being outdoors.
If you would consider a non-trendy city here are some theater companies and venues in Knoxville you can google.

Clarence brown theater (UT)
Theater Knoxville
Tennesse stage company
River & rail Theater company
70/30 Creatives
Carpetbag theater
Tennessee Theater (broadway shows)
Also Marville college and PSCC for student shows

Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
That's a good question. I was focusing more on the 4 seasons, nature, and strong live theatre scene bits.

Portland is only so-so in the live theatre department and the schools are only so-so to poor in many places.

Asheville is also only so-so in the live theatre department plus it lacks decent paying jobs.

You know the more I think about the combo of affordable land, little snow, and strong live theatre scene the more I'm coming to the conclusion that you're probably out of luck if you're needing all three.
I agree. I was involved in Portland theater for decades when I lived there. The theater heyday in Portland was during the 80's and a part of the 90's. It can't hold a candle to most other cities these days.

The four seasons and nature would be a plus there. As far as the gloomy weather goes, some like it some don't. I an definitely not a sun-liking person so it was fine for me.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
We chose Asheville-comfortably retired- job not an issue. Love the 4 seasons. Home on a mountain, 2 forested acres.

Theatre-

https://www.romanticasheville.com/arts.html

Many NYC Equity actors perform. Experimental plays open here before going to NY.

Wonderful restaurants and friendly people. Real Estate has become more "pricey" but that depends on where you are coming from-was much cheaper for us. Port pit doesn't like Asheville. He/she is only here because of relatives and having to pay off student debt .

Personally I enjoy visiting large cities: NYC, London, Chicago, DC. , SanFran- Miami- etc. ; but after living in one of them, know that we made the right decision for us to live full time in Asheville.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 AM

102 posts, read 123,862 times
I'd say look around Denver or Boulder CO. Not lush and green year round, necessarily, but fits all your other criteria (and the winter isn't bad, you'll get big snows but you'll get a lot of mild sunny days throughout the winter).

Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Port pit doesn't like Asheville. He/she is only here because of relatives and having to pay off student debt.
I didn't say I disliked Asheville, I just said it isn't a very good deal with the pay to cost of living if you have to work for a living.

I've traveled and it sounds like you have as well so you know it's disingenuous to say the theatre scene is great when compared to other places. Perhaps I'd grant you when compared to cities of its size, but overall not really.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
Default Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I didn't say I disliked Asheville, I just said it isn't a very good deal with the pay to cost of living if you have to work for a living.

I've traveled and it sounds like you have as well so you know it's disingenuous to say the theatre scene is great when compared to other places. Perhaps I'd grant you when compared to cities of its size, but overall not really.
I've traveled (as an adult) for more than 50 years. Your posts in the Western NC forum tend to be very negative. As to theatre- if one is an amateur, participation (other than that of enthusiast), will be very limited in a "theater great city". Being in Asheville, one can see the full spectrum, and have the chance to participate without as much competition. One can also find package deals to London, for great shows, at least a few years ago, cheaper than NYC. Just my opinion.

Last edited by funisart; 06-12-2017 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre nut View Post
We are looking to relocate within a year or two. We are looking for a lush green area outside of a larger city. Would like to own a few acres. Family friendly. Would like someplace with four seasons unlike where we are now. We do a lot of hiking and the kids love being outdoors. We love the lush green look of Portland but wonder about the nine months of green skies. Don't mind some show but don't want to buried all winter either.

Also looking for a decent size arts community as live theatre is a must!

Suggestions between those mentioned above or elsewhere?
Sounds like a good plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City