Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:52 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Your posts in the Western NC forum tend to be very negative.
If you say so...I tend to think they're more realistic of the day-to-day issues faced by a non-retiree. Even so it does a body good to not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
As to theatre- if one is an amateur, participation (other than that of enthusiast), will be very limited in a "theater great city". Being in Asheville, one can see the full spectrum, and have the chance to participate without as much competition. One can also find package deals to London, for great shows, at least a few years ago, cheaper than NYC. Just my opinion.
What world do you live in where people fly off on a whim to London just to attend the theatre?

Unless the OP comes back to state whether they are a participant or enthusiast we won't know for sure (another post seemed to point to enthusiast, but then they said they wanted to be were the jobs in the arts were so...?).

I'd imagine competition would be less so in NYC due to there being a greater number of jobs. However, I only know one guy who works in that field in NYC.

If Asheville theatre jobs are like most of the other jobs in the area the competition is going to be very high and the pay low. Seems everyone wants to be here, because...well, it's nice and all, but there are lots of nice places in the states.

Anyway, the main point that I'm getting at is you can live in Minneapolis for the same COL as living in Asheville and Cleveland/St. Paul for much less. So if theatre is one of your top priorities and you can handle the cold it's a no brainer that you would head to Minneapolis/Cleveland.

There are reasons to come here, but theatre isn't going to be the top one not even the top one in the area if cost of living is a concern. Honestly any city worth its salt is going to have some theatre presence even if the quality is all over the map.

If you've been traveling for 50 years I'm assuming you ended up in Asheville as one of the retired folks who was able to sidestep a lot of the concerns with living in the area.

Also as far as the owning a few acres the usual scenario that plays out for Asheville transplants is people come here and look around town, but refuse to pay the prices. Then they look outside of it around all these small towns, find something they are willing to pay, but end up irritated by the high degree of republicans in those towns. Some end up moving, some stay, and most end up pissing off the neighbors by trying to make their new home just like where they came from last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre nut View Post
We are looking to relocate within a year or two. We are looking for a lush green area outside of a larger city. Would like to own a few acres. Family friendly. Would like someplace with four seasons unlike where we are now. We do a lot of hiking and the kids love being outdoors. We love the lush green look of Portland but wonder about the nine months of green skies. Don't mind some show but don't want to buried all winter either.

Also looking for a decent size arts community as live theatre is a must!

Suggestions between those mentioned above or elsewhere?

Greenville SC, about 1.5 hours south of Asheville, is an idea. Near Blue Ridge mountains, and has a little mountain, Paris Mountain, 10 minutes from downtown. There are also 3 nice lakes nearby. Lakes Jocasee and Keowee have been called the Lake Tahoes of the east.

Not a lot of snow, usually no more than 2 or 3 snowfalls a year, and it is warmer and sunnier than these other places discussed.

The downtown has a 30 foot drop waterfall with a massive pedestrian bridge over it with a great park around it.

I'm not an expert on live theater but my impression is Greenville has a good scene in it. Check out VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Gville is only 3.5 hours from beaches and Charleston as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City