Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 16,158 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate within a year or two. We are looking for a lush green area outside of a larger city. Would like to own a few acres. Family friendly. Would like someplace with four seasons unlike where we are now. We do a lot of hiking and the kids love being outdoors. We love the lush green look of Portland but wonder about the nine months of green skies. Don't mind some show but don't want to buried all winter either.

Also looking for a decent size arts community as live theatre is a must!

Suggestions between those mentioned above or elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:33 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatre nut View Post
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

NYC, Boston, LA, SF too, but those don't really fit as much.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
I forgot to add in my previous response that Cleveland has five performing arts centers under one roof in the heart of downtown. Its theater distort is considered to be second only to NYC. There are also many neighborhood and suburban performing arts centers as well. I know cold is an issue but I felt I was being remiss if I didn't also bring up your second want.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,943,765 times
Asheville and Bend are at least 2-3 hours from a major city- is being close to one a requirement set in stone? Lush and green don't really go hand in hand with CO... Western WA and Western OR certain fit that description, though.

It kind of sounds like you're interested in exploring the west, but there are still a lot of other areas in the country that could work. What other requirements do you have? What's your budget? Work situation? I've lived in Central FL, Western NC, several locations in CO, and several places in Western Washington. I could probably give you suggestions and feedback if you give us a little more info....

Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
Quote:
We are looking to relocate within a year or two. We are looking for a lush green area outside of a larger city. Would like to own a few acres. Family friendly. Would like someplace with four seasons unlike where we are now. We do a lot of hiking and the kids love being outdoors. We love the lush green look of Portland but wonder about the nine months of green skies. Don't mind some show but don't want to buried all winter either.

Suggestions between those mentioned above or elsewhere?
Check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC which is a beautifully green/lush area of the NC piedmont with a good deal of low density homes in a very highly rated public school district in close proximity to neighboring Durham which has a great arts scene and a state-of-the-art theater that attracts touring productions year-round. The outdoor recreational opportunities are definitely present as well with places like Duke Forest, Jordan Lake, the Eno River and the Haw River offering lots of variety. The climate is moderate and about perfectly balanced with four distinct seasons with very little snow and plenty of sunshine.

https://www.visitchapelhill.org/things-to-do/
https://www.dpacnc.com/suntrust-broadway-series-2017-18
https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-...eation/trails/
https://www.thehaw.org/

Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

NYC, Boston, LA, SF too, but those don't really fit as much.

Are there more rural areas with acreage outside of those cities. Those are way larger than we want.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I forgot to add in my previous response that Cleveland has five performing arts centers under one roof in the heart of downtown. Its theater distort is considered to be second only to NYC. There are also many neighborhood and suburban performing arts centers as well. I know cold is an issue but I felt I was being remiss if I didn't also bring up your second want.

Oh good to know! Didn't realize they were so into the arts over there. That's great. How much snow does the winter typically get? And for how many months?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Asheville and Bend are at least 2-3 hours from a major city- is being close to one a requirement set in stone? Lush and green don't really go hand in hand with CO... Western WA and Western OR certain fit that description, though.

It kind of sounds like you're interested in exploring the west, but there are still a lot of other areas in the country that could work. What other requirements do you have? What's your budget? Work situation? I've lived in Central FL, Western NC, several locations in CO, and several places in Western Washington. I could probably give you suggestions and feedback if you give us a little more info....

A super large city isn't a huge must. We just want to be close enough to a somewhat bigger city because that's typically where the jobs within the arts and theatre realm are. I do not want to live in a city. We've looked st the outskirts and more rural area outside of Portland. My only hesitation there is the constant grey sky. Other than that we love that area. I am more familiar with the western states just because I've been there. I know nothing of the east coast. Also I know the east coast gets humid summers which I really don't like.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC which is a beautifully green/lush area of the NC piedmont with a good deal of low density homes in a very highly rated public school district in close proximity to neighboring Durham which has a great arts scene and a state-of-the-art theater that attracts touring productions year-round. The outdoor recreational opportunities are definitely present as well with places like Duke Forest, Jordan Lake, the Eno River and the Haw River offering lots of variety. The climate is moderate and about perfectly balanced with four distinct seasons with very little snow and plenty of sunshine.

https://www.visitchapelhill.org/things-to-do/
https://www.dpacnc.com/suntrust-broadway-series-2017-18
https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-...eation/trails/
https://www.thehaw.org/

Thanks! I'll give it a look. My only reservation about nc is the humidity. Are the summers miserable? Other than that I've always thought that area was gorgeous.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
Quote:
Oh good to know! Didn't realize they were so into the arts over there. That's great. How much snow does the winter typically get? And for how many months?
It almost depends upon what side of town on which you are living. When I lived on the east side, Cleveland Heights which borders the city of Cleveland we got quite a bit. Last year I moved to the west side last and last winter we got very little. There was one big one and that's about it. I'm told that's usually the situation; east side gets more than west side.

I have to say I've only lived in the Cleveland area for three years now, I relocated from Portland, OR so I might not be the best person to answer questions regarding Cleveland weather. With the seasonal weather conditions changing as they have been these past few years, I don't know if it's really possible to predict which area will get what weather. I think Portland last year actually got more snow than my side of town, Lakewood, which is just across the border from Cleveland on the west side. But that's pretty rare.

There are lots of websites where you can look at weather conditions in different cities and get a general idea of what they are. Or you can check out the Cleveland forum on CD.

I am a big theater fan too and used to perform. Actually I still do with my senior center play readers group. Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs and small towns have an amazing amount of theater. It's not really well known for some reason. I researched that before I moved and was very pleased to learn there was so much offered.

Well, just for the heck of it. hope this is helpful. These are a few of the theaters around town.

PlayhouseSquare

PlayHouseSquare | Concerts, Operas & Broadway Shows

Beck Center for the Arts | Lakewood, Ohio

2017 Long Range Weather Forecast for Cleveland, OH | Old Farmer's Almanac

Seriously, how bad are Cleveland winters? - Executive Arrangements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City