Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least insular rust belt metro?
St. Louis 7 10.61%
Cleveland 8 12.12%
Kansas City 10 15.15%
Cincinnati 7 10.61%
Milwaukee 7 10.61%
Pittsburgh 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I lived in Cincinnati. Very insular place.

That said, I can't imagine that any of these cities are exactly bastions of cultural extroversion, either. However, Pittsburgh would seemingly be the least insular of these six cities, given its increased desirability in recent years and the presence of Carnegie Mellon University and University of Pittsburgh.

The most insular of all these cities, though, is Louisville, KY. Holy crap. And, it's more Midwestern in personality and character than Southern (I don't care what some die-hard Ohioan or Wisconsinite tells me, I know what I speak of, I also used to live there.) Louisville should most definitely be included in this poll!
I thought hard about it, but ultimately I opted not to. Including Pittsburgh almost derailed the thread from the start, putting in another border city would probably have killed this thread before it started. Also, Louisville is by far the smallest among the metros discussed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 01:44 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pittsburgh also has the advantage that there are two great research universities, one public and one private, and they're about two miles away from downtown. St. Louis's premier university of Washington University is about six miles out from downtown and the majority of it is part of another municipality altogether.
WashU is odd in the sense that its main campus is technically straddling Clayton, University City, and St. Louis proper. Still, they sell the university quite literally as "Washington University in St. Louis." It's medical campus is all in St. Louis proper in the Central West End, and they've been investing pretty heavily I believe in the Cortex Innovation District that itself is straddling the CWE and Midtown.

From a geographic standpoint though, SLU is sitting much more prominently in the city with its primary campus in Midwtown, its law school downtown, and its med school nearby in Tiffany just south of Midtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Well, WashU more so than SLU. SLU has really only torn stuff down.
That might be changing though. SLU is ready to help pour $1 billion into Midtown and some of the surrounding areas if the city gives it control over 395 acres between its primary campus and medical campus the same way the city had previously given WashU and the Cortex control over their areas.

With $1 billion poised to flow into projects near campus, SLU wants development control | Business | stltoday.com

I'm not sure if anything has been made of this yet though.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
The best part of not living in Cincinnati anymore is nobody asks what High School you went to?
This is more of a thing among the catholic high school people, you can even be buried in a purple elder panthers casket.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Man, you sure know how to ask a question guaranteed to tick off everyone.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I agree, but there's a fine line between unique culture and "where did you go to high school?"
Being Asian, I've NEVER been asked that as they almost always assume I'm a transplant.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM

638 posts, read 624,192 times
Kansas City is not in the rust belt

Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Kind of interesting. I have looked at properties before in Pittsburgh, but for the first time ever, I am looking at several on this list...not STL, though. I was checking out some of the 1940s homes in Cleveland....so well made...just perfect smaller houses on great lots. I grew up in Nova and owned five homes in Arizona. Been living in SE Asia for four years. There are no property taxes here and I get excellent health cover for 100 bucks per month. High taxes on wines, cheese, and cigars are about the biggest negatives. I only need internet to work. Phoenix is a Hellhole...and housing costs are nothing near as low as Cleveland, Cincy or others. What is set to turn around more in the region? Mining or Manufacturing or Energy? As much as the Left would hate to admit it and give proper credit...there is suddenly hope in these places. A year ago I would have chosen Cuba or Burma over Detroit....well now I am actually looking at homes in the Rust Belt. But is Texas a safer bet? NoVa was a good place to grow up, but there are more people relying on the government for work than in Paris...it has turned into a bunch of nanny staters. I like city life, I like going carless, I like living near universities...and I love cold beer and football. I can rehab houses, and do most of my own work. I would appreciate some good suggestions for living and investment. I thought Over The Rhine was interesting in Cincy.....I also like being near the water.and I don't think you could do it for much less than Toledo. Some of the most significant and interesting aspects of post revolution America took place in those cities.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is more of a thing among the catholic high school people, you can even be buried in a purple elder panthers casket.
To be fair, that is a decidedly WEST SIDE phenomena.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Kind of interesting. I have looked at properties before in Pittsburgh, but for the first time ever, I am looking at several on this list...not STL, though. I was checking out some of the 1940s homes in Cleveland....so well made...just perfect smaller houses on great lots. I grew up in Nova and owned five homes in Arizona. Been living in SE Asia for four years. There are no property taxes here and I get excellent health cover for 100 bucks per month. High taxes on wines, cheese, and cigars are about the biggest negatives. I only need internet to work. Phoenix is a Hellhole...and housing costs are nothing near as low as Cleveland, Cincy or others. What is set to turn around more in the region? Mining or Manufacturing or Energy? As much as the Left would hate to admit it and give proper credit...there is suddenly hope in these places. A year ago I would have chosen Cuba or Burma over Detroit....well now I am actually looking at homes in the Rust Belt. But is Texas a safer bet? NoVa was a good place to grow up, but there are more people relying on the government for work than in Paris...it has turned into a bunch of nanny staters. I like city life, I like going carless, I like living near universities...and I love cold beer and football. I can rehab houses, and do most of my own work. I would appreciate some good suggestions for living and investment. I thought Over The Rhine was interesting in Cincy.....I also like being near the water.and I don't think you could do it for much less than Toledo. Some of the most significant and interesting aspects of post revolution America took place in those cities.
Sounds like you should give Cleveland a try at least.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Asking people, where they wasn't to school is common worldwide, people that think you want to know where they went to high school is a bad sign....but there are many, many places like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City