Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I still hate it that Houston has no active rock station. I wish we had something like KEGL in Dallas, WMMR in Philadelphia, or KUPD in Phoenix.

But what I think were seeing is that major metro areas where whites are less than 40% of the total population are not able to support active rock formats.

You're going to have to educate me a bit as to the difference between "active rock" and lets say what "The Buzz" format is about ?

And do you have any figures on Celestial Radio subscriptions in these markets ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You're going to have to educate me a bit as to the difference between "active rock" and lets say what "The Buzz" format is about ?

And do you have any figures on Celestial Radio subscriptions in these markets ?
The Buzz is an alternative rock station. Youll hear some rock, but mainly what you will get is something on the order of Imagine Dragons, Cold War Kids, the Black Keys, and Cage the Elephant. You will get some actual rock bands like Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Rise Against, etc., but its mainly just alternative.

An active rock format like KEGL in Dallas focuses solely on rock. Youll get bands like Alice in Chains, Five Finger Death Punch, Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, etc. as well as bands like Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith.

The later is much better...

Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The Buzz is an alternative rock station. Youll hear some rock, but mainly what you will get is something on the order of Imagine Dragons, Cold War Kids, the Black Keys, and Cage the Elephant. You will get some actual rock bands like Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Rise Against, etc., but its mainly just alternative.

An active rock format like KEGL in Dallas focuses solely on rock. Youll get bands like Alice in Chains, Five Finger Death Punch, Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, etc. as well as bands like Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith.

The later is much better...

I agree, that's why I'm interested in what effect celestial radio is having on the Houston market It's hard to believe the "Active rock" constituency has vanished in Houston. This was KLOL's format in essence and when they went under in 2004 there really hasn't been a real rock station on terrestrial radio in Houston sense.

How do you keep up with the "active rock" genre now that you live in Houston ?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I agree, that's why I'm interested in what effect celestial radio is having on the Houston market It's hard to believe the "Active rock" constituency has vanished in Houston. This was KLOL's format in essence and when they went under in 2004 there really hasn't been a real rock station on terrestrial radio in Houston sense.

How do you keep up with the "active rock" genre now that you live in Houston ?
I dont really listen to the radio here. Mostly I have the bands I like and I find out about similar bands through itunes. I also have the iheartradio app. That helps.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I dont really listen to the radio here. Mostly I have the bands I like and I find out about similar bands through itunes. I also have the iheartradio app. That helps.
I did a little digging and I don't know if this is where you got your ratings list in your OP but I found this from Radio Online

RADIO ONLINE ®

It seems after perusing the entire market list both DFW, and Houston-Galveston, only have one classic rock formatted terrestrial station each, and only one either active or alternative rock station, that plays any kind of new rock music each, which seems pretty pathetic. But after looking at other similar sized metros like SF which only has 2 classic rock formatted stations and 1 Alternative and 0 Active Rock stations, and Chicago which has 4 Classic rock stations, 1 alternative, and 0 Active Rock stations as well, it seems DFW was the only top 10 market I could find that has a "Active Rock" formatted station period.

It seems Rock music is in a serious state of decline. I remember a time just about 20 years ago when a much smaller Houston market had 6 stations that would now be called "active rock"!

It appears terrestrial radio sucks all over.................

Old 07-08-2017, 04:22 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
I did a little digging and I don't know if this is where you got your ratings list in your OP but I found this from Radio Online

RADIO ONLINE ®

It seems after perusing the entire market list both DFW, and Houston-Galveston, only have one classic rock formatted terrestrial station each, and only one either active or alternative rock station, that plays any kind of new rock music each, which seems pretty pathetic. But after looking at other similar sized metros like SF which only has 2 classic rock formatted stations and 1 Alternative and 0 Active Rock stations, and Chicago which has 4 Classic rock stations, 1 alternative, and 0 Active Rock stations as well, it seems DFW was the only top 10 market I could find that has a "Active Rock" formatted station period.

It seems Rock music is in a serious state of decline. I remember a time just about 20 years ago when a much smaller Houston market had 6 stations that would now be called "active rock"!

It appears terrestrial radio sucks all over.................
You can research all radio stations in any particular market here:
https://radio-locator.com/

Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Proof that Active Rock can thrive in extra-large radio markets if only a) radio executives would bother cultivating the format for a change, and b) record labels would devote a nonzero amount of A&R resources to mainstream rock/metal bands for a change.
Just fyi, Detroit's 'active rock station' (89x) is Canadian (if that makes any difference). Until April Fools Day this year, they had a popular morning show where the hosts would discuss weird news and such. They'd play 2 or 3 songs, like 10 minutes of commercials, then back to 10 minutes talking. So I'm not sure it was so much the music that was pushing the station so much as it was the personalities (which is also quite true for Detroit's other top radio stations).

The thing I found odd is that they would often (and still do) play Eminem and Beastie Boys which didn't seem like alternative rock. Other than that, it was fairly common to hear Canadian bands as well as the typically popular American mainstream ones.

Billy Talent, Smashing Satellites, Bleeker, Arkells are some examples of some Canadian bands they often play. Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Rise Against, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Imagine Dragons, X Ambassadors, etc, is what typically makes up the mainstream American side. Lots of Green Day, Panic at the Disco, Incubus and Yellowcard. Occasionally Sublime and other ska bands are thrown in there. Sometimes some metal. It's a decent variety of modern rock music. I enjoy it.

My only complaint about the station is that big commercial blocks. Some morning it felt like half my commute was just nothing but commercials. And not with just this station but pretty much all the popular stations.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Just fyi, Detroit's 'active rock station' (89x) is Canadian (if that makes any difference). Until April Fools Day this year, they had a popular morning show where the hosts would discuss weird news and such. They'd play 2 or 3 songs, like 10 minutes of commercials, then back to 10 minutes talking. So I'm not sure it was so much the music that was pushing the station so much as it was the personalities (which is also quite true for Detroit's other top radio stations).

The thing I found odd is that they would often (and still do) play Eminem and Beastie Boys which didn't seem like alternative rock. Other than that, it was fairly common to hear Canadian bands as well as the typically popular American mainstream ones.

Billy Talent, Smashing Satellites, Bleeker, Arkells are some examples of some Canadian bands they often play. Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Rise Against, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Imagine Dragons, X Ambassadors, etc, is what typically makes up the mainstream American side. Lots of Green Day, Panic at the Disco, Incubus and Yellowcard. Occasionally Sublime and other ska bands are thrown in there. Sometimes some metal. It's a decent variety of modern rock music. I enjoy it.

My only complaint about the station is that big commercial blocks. Some morning it felt like half my commute was just nothing but commercials. And not with just this station but pretty much all the popular stations.
Detroit's active rock station is WRIF, 101.1. Its transmitter is in Southfield.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Looks like KYLD (Wild94.9) is behind their Top 40 rival at 99.7FM. That station was once a great station.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Active Rock is mainstream hard rock and metal, mostly contemporary. The majority of the playlist focuses on the 1990s to the present, with a little bit of classic hard rock and metal from the 1970s and 1980s scattered in.

Some of the more famous contemporary hard rock and metal bands that you'd hear on Active Rock include Slipknot/Stone Sour, 3 Doors Down, Disturbed, Chevelle, Seether, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat and The Pretty Reckless. Some of the better-known classic hard rock and metal bands you'd hear are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Guns N' Roses and Pantera.

The one subgenre of rock music that Active Rock and Alternative still have in common is 1990s "grunge," such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots, as well as other bands that were not part of the scene but still closely associated with it, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, The Offspring and Foo Fighters.

More controversially, there's still "nu metal" on the playlist like KoRn, Staind, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and Drowning Pool, "rap metal" like Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, 311, Limp Bizkit and P.O.D., and even the "butt rock" that everybody claims to hate like Buckcherry, Creed, Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd and Theory Of A Deadman. Be that as it may, such bands no longer dominate Active Rock playlists like they did during the 2000s.

Interestingly, even rappers with hard rock and metal cred like Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, House Of Pain and Eminem get occasional airplay. Many Active Rock stations also have late-night shows with an hour or two of more extreme metal, such as Slayer, Ministry, Cradle Of Filth, Lamb Of God and As I Lay Dying. Popular syndicated shows on Active Rock include Skratch 'N Sniff, Dee's House of Hair, Eddie Trunk Rocks, and Hard Drive with Lou Brutus.

Along with Volbeat, The Pretty Reckless and Red Sun Rising, other bands that have had recent success on Active Rock include Pop Evil, Mastadon, A Day To Remember, Royal Blood and Highly Suspect. If you want a good idea of which bands have current music on Active Rock, just take a gander at the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 07-11-2017 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Getting rid of the clutter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City