Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm an active, educated, type A-ish single female. At this point I'm looking for a city with predominantly the best social and dating scene for a early 30s SWF.

I've traveled throughout most cities in the US, and the biggest trouble I'm having is finding people I can relate to. I'm more traditional in a sense that I'm not into the whole hipster, skinny jeans, tattoed up, "hanging out" culture which is common in a lot of the larger cities. On the other hand, smaller towns, while more traditional, lack the cultural amenities and a well-educated population. My new job offers me a choice between SF/East Bay, San Diego or DC area. Salary will allow comfortable living in each city. Which would be the best option?

Other criteria include:
Air quality
Recreational opportunities (San Diego!)
Cultural opportunities
Weather (I prefer warm climates)

I don't think I'll be able to find perfect place unfortunately, so I'm willing to sacrifice one of the parameters that I'm looking for. Most importantly, I'm looking for a social scene that I'll be able to fit in.

Last edited by Flavia84; 07-08-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 07:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
I hear very bad things about dating in DC but have also heard men out number women in the west

Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM

520 posts, read 610,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm an active, educated, type A-ish single female. At this point I'm looking for a city with predominantly the best social and dating scene for a early 30s SWF.

I've traveled throughout most cities in the US, and the biggest trouble I'm having is finding people I can relate to. I'm more traditional in a sense that I'm not into the whole hipster, skinny jeans, tattoed up, "hanging out" culture which is common in a lot of the larger cities. On the other hand, smaller towns, while more traditional, lack the cultural amenities and a well-educated population. My new job offers me a choice between SF/East Bay, San Diego or DC area. Salary will allow comfortable living in each city. Which would be the best option?

Other criteria include:
Air quality
Recreational opportunities (San Diego!)
Cultural opportunities
Weather (I prefer warm climates)

I don't think I'll be able to find perfect place unfortunately, so I'm willing to sacrifice one of the parameters that I'm looking for. Most importantly, I'm looking for a social scene that I'll be able to fit in.
I think DC is likely to have the most "traditional" people as you describe them for dating prospects. Most of the lawyers and political types in DC are pretty traditional, as you describe them. SF is probably a little better than San Diego on that front, because it has more of a professional scene. SF is weirdly both type-A and into hipster/hanging-out culture. For example, there are a lot of people who are very type-A about their obscure hobbies. It's a mistake, however, to view SF is only filled with hipsters and tech bros. Yes there are a lot of those people, but it's also an old-money, fast-paced city, more like the East Coast than anything else on the West Coast. San Diego is much more stereotypically Californian, without the extremes of SF. Culturally, San Diego is closer to Midwestern cities than SF, more traditional but not as professionalized or fast-paced as SF.

As for your other factors:

Air quality -- SF and SD are pretty good, I don't know about DC.
Recreational opportunities (San Diego!) -- It depends on what recreation you're talking about, but I think SF is best for hiking, access to skiing, and cycling. SD has the best surfing, unsurprisingly. All three cities have good recreational opportunities, although you may overrate SD here.
Cultural opportunities -- DC and SF are both pretty great here, then SD.
Weather (I prefer warm climates) -- SD is likely ideal, although it's not as warm as you might think right along the coast. DC has a hot (and humid) summer, cool winters. SF is pretty temperate all year round, although rainy in the winters. However, if you head east into the East Bay past Oakland/Berkeley, you get pretty warm/hot summers, with temps commonly in the '90s.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
As a woman, what you will like is it is a military town, Navy and Marines, mostly. So that means its population skews toward male and should be in good shape.

D.C. is hot and humid. I found that out on a summer business trip then moving there. I realize now why Congress leaves in August. lol

Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
If you're a type A looking for another type A then DC is your best bet. Love DC but it's full of educated type A's, which makes the scene a little bland.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 AM

520 posts, read 610,969 times
The tl:dr version of my post: DC has the most type-A people; SF has the most type-A people pretending to be type-B. SD has the most type-B people.

In all three metros, locals are more laid back than transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City