Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better dinning/drinking scene?
Boston 8 30.77%
Philly 18 69.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,306,439 times

Advertisements

Which city is better for the "yuppie hipster" foodie restaurants and cocktail bars? Not looking at sports bars, Irish pubs or old school Italian/seafood/business lunch scenes. More like the kind stuff you would find in Lower Manhattan/inner-Brooklyn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 AM

9,398 posts, read 9,384,835 times
I would say Philadelphia, simply because its a much larger city with more neighborhoods in transition, following the paths of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Center City is becoming a playground for the wealthy, but several outlying neighborhoods still provide an eclectic mix of new shopping/ eateries while still maintaining an industrial/ gritty feel to some extent. I also think Philadelphia has a lot more room for growth, so the offerings now may pale to the offerings 5 years from now, whereas Boston I think will more or less be the same.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Philly for hipster, and Boston for yuppie, IMHO.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,191,117 times
Never been to Boston, so I can't comment (but if all of the old money/trust fund babies/college nerd stereotypes are true, it should win the yuppie argument handily). But Northern Liberties and Fishtown are peak hipster areas--probably the most truly hipster areas on the East Coast after Brooklyn.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Never been to Boston, so I can't comment (but if all of the old money/trust fund babies/college nerd stereotypes are true, it should win the yuppie argument handily). But Northern Liberties and Fishtown are peak hipster areas--probably the most truly hipster areas on the East Coast after Brooklyn.
Northern Liberties has pretty much transitioned into a yuppie/ upper middle class enclave. Fishtown and now parts of Kensington are hipster areas.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,191,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Northern Liberties has pretty much transitioned into a yuppie/ upper middle class enclave. Fishtown and now parts of Kensington are hipster areas.
Yes, I can see that, but I still think there's a lot of overlap. I guess it depends on your definition of a hipster area; some people tie it intrinsically to wealth (i.e. struggling artist areas, dilapidated buildings), while others, such as myself, do not.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,306,439 times
For the record, since the city boundries are so different. I'm comparing close in urban core. So when I say Boston I also mean Cambridge/Somerville, Brookline.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,708,695 times
Philly/Yuppie is not really interchangeable. There's hipster bars and areas then there's yuppie bars and areas, like in DC here we barely have a hipster scene. SF on the hand has a huge hipster scene.

Philly - Hipster.
Boston/DC - Yuppie.
NYC is a pretty good balance.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Philly/Yuppie is not really interchangeable. There's hipster bars and areas then there's yuppie bars and areas, like in DC here we barely have a hipster scene. SF on the hand has a huge hipster scene.

Philly - Hipster.
Boston - Yuppie.
Boston certainly has more yuppies, but I would think Philadelphia has a better balance. Certianly close to/ in the core (Center City is yuppie central), then the surrounding neighborhoods have a good balance, but lean more toward hipster.

Plus, not to be a hater, but Philadelphia has a lot more to do then Boston.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,708,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Boston certainly has more yuppies, but I would think Philadelphia has a better balance. Certianly close to/ in the core (Center City is yuppie central), then the surrounding neighborhoods have a good balance, but lean more toward hipster.
Agree with you there. I just think Philly represents the hipster demographic best between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City