Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:25 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You did.

The premise of the thread is perception, not tourism. You said something silly, you were proven wrong, you said something else just as silly, and proven wrong again. We're done with the argument.
You're intentionally being obtuse. If you don't see how tourism was included in the very first post in this thread, then you're blind. And even if you disagree with that, the post you responded to in post #12 referenced tourism. In any case, saying that I introduced the concept is asinine.

And yeah, we're definitely done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I think you should put this in this thread on new projects coming ... not this one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...oming-263.html

What are you a cop?

I was asked a specific question and answered it as succinctly as possible.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,327,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post

Do others agree or disagree?
I spent a month there for work---I wanted to write to the Mayor and ask him to clean up his city. I call it Filthy Philly. It is sad--it is a wonderful city--but dirty. Italian Market area--dirty.

If you have to drive your car there---potholes everywhere. I never cursed so much in my car---surprised my car did not need an alignment after leaving there. After about four days I got much better about watching out for them.

I have waited many of times for a hotel shuttle at the Philadelphia Airport---dirty, dirty, dirty where people have to wait for transportation. I have been to many airports, I have never seen such filth.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,060,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What are you a cop?

I was asked a specific question and answered it as succinctly as possible.
No, he's not a cop. He's steeps, a strange pro-Chicago/Illinois, sometimes pro- and sometimes anti- Philadelphia/Pennsylvania with poor grammar.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:05 PM

306 posts, read 475,895 times
After being there a month or so ago, I think in 10-20 years it will be more of a destination. Now I live in the midwest, I have never heard of anyone(outside of me who loves cities) going to Philly for a vacation. I am sure when you are on the east coast with proximity that is different.

But I do know even when I talk to colleagues of mine all over the country whenever I say I go to Philly for work or in my case pleasure I always get the same reactions, "Why" "Im sorry" "On purpose" etc. I love history, that said I would say outside of the Freedom Bell and Independence Hall Boston and DC are much better history places.

What I do like about Philly are the neighborhoods, laid back vibe, proximity to some unbelievable destinations. Also for real estate your money goes a lot further than Boston and DC.

I would say Philly is rightfully known for these things in no particular order the most
Cheesesteaks
Rocky locations
Bell and Hall
Aggressive sport fans

Last time I did the bus hop on and off tour. I spent a day at eastern state. It was amazing, the history that went on there.

As I outlined in an old post the only real negative I found(again this is personal experience) is the large amount of homeless people. They were not aggressive at all, just everywhere.

That said, Philly has all the restaurants, shopping, many outdoor cafes, and wonderful neighborhoods in 2017 that the "filthadelphia" stereotype in my opinion is going to go away each year. Also as NYC continues to become more and more unaffordable for upper middle class, Philly will reap the rewards. Again just my opinion,

Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,198,898 times
^^^ Nice post that should not annoy some natives .
No one is bashing Philly. The thread is about possible perception problems. Best to note --- > this isn't the Philly forum either. No one need to get rude at questions and comments on the topic. You correct misconceptions if totally inaccurate, or outdated and why?

I always claim improvements in CC especially. But addressing negative past negative perceptions and why are clearly part of the topic. The OP wasn't negative but presented his question as others said it to him..

All are welcome to say why some perceptions still exist? Or if improvements prove they are totally irreverent today? I merely noted street cleanliness still can plague Philly? Especially outside of CC and why.

Just makes it harder to loose the "dirty" stereotypes entirely if street-sweeping was stopped outside of CC for a decade now. Too many links out there to show that the new Mayor has tried or desires to bring it back throughout the city of at least .... neighborhoods that want it? But new sweepers would have to be purchased. People see moving cars in such a TIGHT urban fabric? Too much to handle moving cars for cleanings again. Its your local politics to work out.

Most negative perceptions of Philly? Come from being in or seeing areas outside of the Greater CC or UC.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I spent a month there for work---I wanted to write to the Mayor and ask him to clean up his city. I call it Filthy Philly. It is sad--it is a wonderful city--but dirty. Italian Market area--dirty.

If you have to drive your car there---potholes everywhere. I never cursed so much in my car---surprised my car did not need an alignment after leaving there. After about four days I got much better about watching out for them.

I have waited many of times for a hotel shuttle at the Philadelphia Airport---dirty, dirty, dirty where people have to wait for transportation. I have been to many airports, I have never seen such filth.
Philly isn't the cleanest city in the country but you're exaggerating. I've flown out of the airport several times and I don't see how it's dirtier than lots of other airports.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:36 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,981,096 times
Philly is only a bit dirty. I would put its cleanliness on par with Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Trash on the streets is definitely a thing but not overwhelming. It isn't the thing one remembers most.

The Philadelphia countryside is beautiful. One of the advantages of being on the Piedmont.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
I am curious. I was just in Philly and have been many times. I find it to be a great American city. Yet anytime I talk to someone and tell them I am going to Philly the responses are always the same. "I'm sorry," "why," Filthadelphia?

I don't think it warrants it. Certain cities do. I live in the Chicago area and the stereotype of Chicago in the winter(outside of this past winter)is pretty spot on. I always tell people, don't come Dec- March if on pleasure, unless during Christmas time, its pretty well decorated and beautiful if into that .

Do others agree or disagree?
The Philadelphia area got over 40 million tourists/ visitors last year and the number continues to climb. So, who are you talking to? I bet they may be ex-Philadelphians who haven't been back in years and have very old idea about what the city is like today.

I live in Philly and that label was true 30-40 years ago but not so true anymore.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Philadelphia area got over 40 million tourists/ visitors last year and the number continues to climb. So, who are you talking to? I bet they may be ex-Philadelphians who haven't been back in years and have very old idea about what the city is like today.

I live in Philly and that label was true 30-40 years ago but not so true anymore.
The thing with tourism numbers is that they may be somewhat liberal in defining who is a tourist (e.g., people with long layovers at the airport who spend the night at a hotel but otherwise don't interact with the city at all) and they don't distinguish between leisure tourists and people who may be visiting on business. I know some of what we're saying in the thread is anecdotal but when several people have the same anecdotes, there's something to it. Philly does get the short end of the stick in terms of perception and thus leisure tourism, but it's probably doing better than some may think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City