Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 PM

243 posts, read 228,605 times

Advertisements

hey so pretty much ive been living in San Diego the past year almost and while I do enjoy it here there's a possibility this might not be a long term place for me. im a 22 M and im currently trying to get into the electricians union and im flying out for interviews in all 3 of these cities I listed.

now all 3 have a very strong union market share with good pay to cost of living. this is a very nice career in the construction field if you can get into it.

I also still have yet to interview here in SD ( march) and while I feel very confident that im a good candidate with a strong construction background, good ambition , a letter of rec, and qualify for the helmets 2 hardhats program, that all still might not be enough to get in down here in San Diego.

they take on a very small pools of guys only twice a year and the market share here in SD is low. its a big city and there's work but it can take a very long time to get in if at all with a really good interview score.

until recently I would've just rode it out because I almost left before but I made some good friends and a safety net, atleast I thought so until recently so now im just like whatever. if I get into another local ill move , ill miss the ocean and palm trees but thats it. San Diegos mountains and outdoors are bland and very lackluster anyway compared to the states these cities are in.

things change , friendships go south, blah blah blah. this place honestly started to feel like home.

I won't say I like the mountains over the beach because I really do like both but I love the mountains and outdoors. The outdoor access is really important to me.

ive never lived in the pacific north west so I have no idea how the cascade range and the outdoor access compares to the rockies.

I was stationed in ft Carson , Co which is right outside of COS and I got a very good feel for the state. beautiful foothills , great access , killer sunsets over the mountains , brown during the dry months but it has its green season as well. it very much reminded of a much cooler, young and liberal version of Montana. I spent the very first 10 years of my life in Montana.

the way the rockies work is its got so many options and you can 4x4 and hike to so many great spots.

I hear things in the PNW are different. I like the fact the woods are very dense , lush and green and in the city the climate is much more temperate. I like my mountains with snow as well to get that majestic feel but don't get it twisted, they don't call commercial guys inside wiremen because you work inside all day.

the temperate climate might be better for me if I work outside a lot but I keep reading that when it comes to actual access the ranges are hard to get to. its mainly just wooded foothills until you get to the jagged peaks.

when it comes to actual city living im honestly scared of traffic and trying to park my pickup in Seattle. im worried its gonna be too much big city for me. I strongly prefer the smaller scale city feel in Denver or Portland but Portland doesn't have the topography Seattle does. its really just hilly with a volcano nearby. everything else is in Washington besides the beach.

it'll be a hard decision because I have a very good chance of getting into all 3 as far as work because all 3 are super busy with construction and taking on a lot of apprientices but am I right in the fact that Colorado sounds like the better fit ? I don't really know whether to pick the cascades/olympics or the rockies.

which has better scenery ? are the rockies really that more accessible than the cascades and olympic ranges ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 06:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Seattle > Portland if you want mountain ranges with snow. Portland is more rolling hills outside the volcano peaks.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:54 PM

115 posts, read 101,476 times
Denver doesn't have the same access Colorado Springs does, honestly none of the cities listed do. What activities do you like doing? I go seattle/pnw once a year for mountain biking, but hiking is just as enjoyable there.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Denver doesn't have the same access Colorado Springs does, honestly none of the cities listed do. What activities do you like doing? I go seattle/pnw once a year for mountain biking, but hiking is just as enjoyable there.

oh I know that. ive visited the city once. its furter from the mountains than people think , its on the prairie.

I meant the rockies in general are more accessible.

hike, camp , take my beater dodge truck off roading , I might even take up fishing. some days I like to just go for a stroll after a hard day at work and meditate in a nice spot just to relax and relieve some stress.

just stuff like that. not really into the whole skiing or snowboarding thing.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,214 times
Portland is gorgeous, with lots of outdoor hiking and adventure, the beach is only an hour away. Plus you can parasail in the Columbia River Gorge. It's one of the most green friendly cities in the country. It is also a bit sunnier than Seattle is but not by much. Colorado Springs is beautiful and has recreation as well, but it has single digit temperatures in the winter at times, which may be difficult. More snow there, of course.
PNW is more temperate year round by comparison.

Portland is a bit better than Seattle is for COL, too. Maybe go to where your best job prospects are, because all 3 cities you listed are great choices for mountain vibes and outdoors galore.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,001,020 times
If biking and fishing are your faves, good news, you can find those things not far from you

Reno
Sacramento
Bakersfield
Fresno
All cheaper metros with good biking and fishing.
Edit: slc and Albuquerque are two other spots.

I prefer Seattle weather over those spots, but the tsunami/earthquake risk is too much for me. Not worth it for slightly better weather.

Edit: if you do move to inland CA, don't drive that truck. Keep it for the weekends. Drive a cleaner vehicle(Prius/insight) , your lungs will thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_FZjKABbg

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-12-2020 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-12-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Portland is gorgeous, with lots of outdoor hiking and adventure, the beach is only an hour away. Plus you can parasail in the Columbia River Gorge. It's one of the most green friendly cities in the country. It is also a bit sunnier than Seattle is but not by much. Colorado Springs is beautiful and has recreation as well, but it has single digit temperatures in the winter at times, which may be difficult. More snow there, of course.

Portland is a bit better than Seattle is for COL, too. Maybe go to where your best job prospects are, because all 3 cities you listed are great choices for mountain vibes and outdoors galore.
honestly that would probably be Seattle, their union is the strongest , has the best pay out of all 3 and has the most work.

it could take me as little as a month to start working as an apprentice if I get the offer which is really quick for a trade union.

the pay starts at 23$/hr for a 1st year and goes up every 6 months until you journey out. journeymen make 55$/hr on the check , not including benefits and pension.

dunno where I could afford a studio or a shared place on the apprentice pay , since its much more urban and congested than SD I dunno what to expect for traffic and parking. im guessing a ****** nightmare.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post

OP was stationed in Colorado Springs while in the service, is considering Denver. He's got a pretty good handle on the area. It's rarely into the single digits in the winter. Denver has more snow than COS.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Probably Portland. Forest Park and the topography are prettt unique urban experiences, plus the Cascades and Coastals fqirly easy to get to for hiking.

Denver doesn't really have a "mountainous vibe" at all and access to the outdoors is only relatively easy if you're in the western suburbs (especially due to traffic). It's actually quite different than the Springs, much of which is itself in the foothills.

Denver has better weather, though.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,429 times
Seattle has the best of all worlds except for probably two of most important aspects of life: cost of living and traffic. You will be driving for work so that is worth considering. As an electrician, forget public transit unless your local has you on in town work. Likelihood is you will have to drive. Seattle is stupid expensive and you will never own a nice house in town. If you are OK with a dumb commute in thick traffic or a dinky condo, Seattle is alright. Mountains in Washington are larger more diverse than Oregon.

Portland beats Seattle in the two most important aspects. It is basically just as expensive as Denver and traffic is definitely better (still bad). If you have to drive, you won’t hate life quite as much. You could also afford a house here, although still expensive. Oregon Cascades are smaller, but much leas crowded due to less population. You can truly escape if you know where to go. Oregon is slower pace and more rural overall if that is something you value. Oregon coast is better known and more accessible than the Washington coast. Portland job market is spotty but your field should be OK.

Denver is, as you know, dry and continental, but sunnier. If you love sun, stay in Colorado or eastern OR/WA. Mountains are not as prominent as the Cascades due to high base, but they are still magnificent. Denver is a working city with lots of jobs.

TLDR: Seattle if you want the best and are willing to be broke, Portland if you want something like Seattle but want to buy a house, Denver if you want dry 4 season climate and a good job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City