Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeIn99 View Post
Here's one of the sublists that I had deleted from my original post so it wouldn't seem so long:

Cities across the US that make artisanal, small-batch chocolate that sell for $10+ per bar (checked in hipster grocery):
-Winston-Salem, NC
-Asheville, NC
-Seattle (several brands)
-Oakland, CA
-SF, CA (many brands)
-Salt Lake City, UT (all cities can have their hipster pockets, even in Mormon-heavy SLC)
-Brooklyn
-Portland, OR
-random town in Pennsylvania
Mormons eat chocolate? Who'd a thunk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Portland, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, and Denver are where I see counter-culture being the most "mainstream" (yes, even with the wealthy tech bubbles)

Las Vegas, Phoenix and Oklahoma City are places where counter-culture is especially minimal and marginilized.
Denver? Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Denver and Portland
Again, pls explain Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Boulder, CO is like a mini San Francisco
Very "mini". Boulder is barely over 100,000.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM

17 posts, read 23,025 times
Well well well. As soon as I come out as a non-white female, I'm getting all these nasty remarks. I was automatically defaulted to white male in my original long post, so I got praise and a wink-nudge "one of us" vibe that I don't usually get. Thank God this is one of the few forums where you can hide your other posts so people don't have a record of who you are from your other posts.

Stop your implicit/subconscious biases. Is it shocking and disgusting that the person here with the most comprehensive list, praised initially as "funny," unbeatable, etc. - is an Asian American female? We're actually some of the most funny, fun, cerebral, educated, open-minded, creative, and American of all - in contrast with your stereotypes about us.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:38 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeIn99 View Post
I've known Cleveland was a bit "counterculture" (broad use of the term) since "The Drew Carey Show" and "Whose Line is It Anyway?" days. It's such an awkward TV show name, by the way. Drew Carey had the hipster glasses since before they became very mainstream. Kurt Cobain was wearing those same hipster glasses in 1992 - the earliest I've seen it worn after the 60s or so. The Drew Carey Show's self-effacing jingle with "Cleveland rocks" already told me that Cleveland rocked and had its fringes of counterculture even back then.

The hippest person I knew in the late 90s, who had the Drew Carey glasses and was in a band, was straight from Cinncinati.

Today, when I think 2005-era hipster, I think Philly. SF has moved a long way from the classic late-2000s hipster. It keeps reinventing itself - the core hipster look keeps changing. It's a very annoying look these days. I can barely describe it - it's so different from other places, but the closest equivalent these days are the hipsters in LA. SF has been becoming so soulless brogrammer that its hipsters seem more similar to LA's than to Berkeley's.

Places that you think of as bland and conservative are, in some ways, the most open-minded, most radical places of all. Same with people.
Funny you mention those Drew Carey hipster glasses. Those black horned glasses were military issue regulation prescription glasses that servicemen wore from the 1950's upwards. Back then mostly servicemen or ex servicemen only wore those glasses. I still have mine that were issued to me in boot camp at Parris Island. I kept wearing mine kept after I became a civilian again because they were comfortable. I still remember someone said to me "Oh I see you still got your birth control glasses" when I was wearing them one day when I was not wearing my contact lenses.

It's funny how what was considered hideous and unflatterable can become mainstream and fashionable in the passage of time. I think because the popularity of some items are due to the ideal that they are counter to what is considered mainstream at that time that they are adopted by certain people considered to be cool that are looking to differentiate themselves from the masses, ironically making mainstream and popular something that was previously obscure.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Denver? Please explain.

Again, pls explain Denver.

Very "mini". Boulder is barely over 100,000.
I don't view any Colorado city as counter culture.

And LOL at the Texans who get angry when Austin is mentioned.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 08-11-2021 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 08:17 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
DC lowkey still has a large h/c scene, pretty counter-culture if you ask me. Pittsburgh has a nice little counter-culture scene also.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:22 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
DC lowkey still has a large h/c scene, pretty counter-culture if you ask me. Pittsburgh has a nice little counter-culture scene also.
Agree. It's buttoned up and stuffy, but there's definitely a counter culture vibe.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:31 PM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
I’ve visited many cities in the last 25 years and only Portland struck me as resembling the 80’s counterculture vibe, I saw growing up.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:13 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Baltimore has a sizable counter-culture mostly of theatre/urban pioneeer/lgbtq folks with some graffiti artists/BLM flare in there.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Baltimore has a sizable counter-culture mostly of theatre/urban pioneeer/lgbtq folks with some graffiti artists/BLM flare in there.
If the dark web was a city, it would probably be Baltimore lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City