Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live?
Denver 9 26.47%
Portland 3 8.82%
Seattle 14 41.18%
San Diego 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:12 PM

828 posts, read 699,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
I personally would pick Seattle, but Denver seems like a better fit for you. You have family there, you've been there and you're more into mountains. It's also much sunnier there than Seattle or Portland.

No place is gonna have everything you want. That's the reality. Every single city in the US has pros and cons. If you want water, just take vacations to fulfill that need.
I agree. San Diego is my personal favorite of the 4, but I think you will do best in Denver given what you have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,000,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Alonso View Post
Hi there,

I have to choose between two job offers: one in Denver, CO, and the other in Portland, OR. I came across your post and am wondering what your final decision was. I just returned from a visit to Denver and the surrounding area/mountains. I have not visited Portland, but I am from the East Coast (Miami, FL), so I do have an affinity to the ocean. Although, I am fond of the mountains as well. Portland has access to both, but I am also concerned about the cost of living. Never been on a pair of skis a day in my life, but am the adventurous type and I'd try anything at least once. I'm a surfer, and have tons of friends who live out in Hawaii and California- but the cost of living in those places are outside my pocketbooks right now. I am very outdoorsy, and have to make my decision this week since I have been offered a job in both cities. Did you ever get a chance to visit Portland, Oregon? If so, what did you think?

Happiness,

Patricia
Depends on whether you like four dry seasons, or generally medium-cool temps and often drizzly.

Also they're two styles of cities, even while both are similar sizes and both examples of successful urbanism. Denver is more wide open (flat, dry, sprawlier), while in Portland everything feels like its own little room due to the trees and hills, sprawl has a hard boundary, and the urbanity is more cohesive. Both have a ton of infill. Denver feels and acts bigger in some ways.

Both are very active and outdoorsy. In Portland the woods are within walking distance for a lot of people, while in Denver they're a long trip.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:23 AM

130 posts, read 123,908 times
I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
I personally would pick Seattle, but Denver seems like a better fit for you. You have family there, you've been there and you're more into mountains. It's also much sunnier there than Seattle or Portland.

No place is gonna have everything you want. That's the reality. Every single city in the US has pros and cons. If you want water, just take vacations to fulfill that need.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Alonso View Post
Hi there,

I have to choose between two job offers: one in Denver, CO, and the other in Portland, OR. I came across your post and am wondering what your final decision was. I just returned from a visit to Denver and the surrounding area/mountains. I have not visited Portland, but I am from the East Coast (Miami, FL), so I do have an affinity to the ocean. Although, I am fond of the mountains as well. Portland has access to both, but I am also concerned about the cost of living. Never been on a pair of skis a day in my life, but am the adventurous type and I'd try anything at least once. I'm a surfer, and have tons of friends who live out in Hawaii and California- but the cost of living in those places are outside my pocketbooks right now. I am very outdoorsy, and have to make my decision this week since I have been offered a job in both cities. Did you ever get a chance to visit Portland, Oregon? If so, what did you think?

Happiness,

Patricia
The Oregon ocean is not like the Florida ocean, aside from being large and wet. Oregon is pretty cold in comparison. Its certainly tolerable, but as a visitor to both places, I enjoyed the FL water more than the OR water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City