Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

I think I've made a pretty solid argument for why Nashville is also a "little sister" to Atlanta and in a few ways, more so than Charlotte. Atlanta and Charlotte are both rapidly-growing business hubs of the Piedmont with lots of development happening, and that tends to be the main reason point of comparison. Nashville has that too but also has other qualities in common with Atlanta that Charlotte lacks.

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
I hate to say it, but it's true:

Chicago > Detroit

Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
This is the first I've ever heard anybody relate Nashville to Atlanta more than Charlotte. Having things in common with Atlanta notwithstanding, Nashville has less of a symbiotic relationship with Atlanta than Charlotte does. Charlotte functions and relates more to Atlanta than Nashville does, period. Nashville has stronger ties to the lower Midwest cities than it does to Atlanta, and possibly even Chicago, whereas Charlotte is attached to Atlanta to a higher degree. Charlotte looks and acts more the part of Atlanta than Nashville, too...

Ultimately, we know we can draw similarities between Nashville and Atlanta. Nashville isn't "like" Atlanta more than Charlotte is, though, nor does it have a stronger or sibling like relationship with Atlanta more than Charlotte--which for the purposes of this thread, means its less of a "little brother" to Atlanta than Charlotte is...

Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM

187 posts, read 214,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually the vibes in Dallas and Atlanta share some similarities. You'll often hear people talk about the 'flashiness' of both cities, for example.

I've laid out a few ways in which Nashville is like Atlanta that go beyond simply being state capitals. And understand, we're talking about big sibling/little sibling pairs, not cities that are clones of each other.
I would say Dallas is more subdued in it's flashiness but its wealth is deeper. There's a large difference in ethnic culture between the two cities. Dallas has almost no hip hop culture but you still see plenty of exotic cars, just not pimped out ones.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
I would say Dallas is more subdued in it's flashiness but its wealth is deeper. There's a large difference in ethnic culture between the two cities. Dallas has almost no hip hop culture but you still see plenty of exotic cars, just not pimped out ones.
Almost no hip hop culture in Dallas? I definitely do not agree with that.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Almost no hip hop culture in Dallas? I definitely do not agree with that.
It's nowhere near as pervasive in Dallas compared to Houston and Atlanta.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 AM

164 posts, read 170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is the first I've ever heard anybody relate Nashville to Atlanta more than Charlotte. Having things in common with Atlanta notwithstanding, Nashville has less of a symbiotic relationship with Atlanta than Charlotte does. Charlotte functions and relates more to Atlanta than Nashville does, period. Nashville has stronger ties to the lower Midwest cities than it does to Atlanta, and possibly even Chicago, whereas Charlotte is attached to Atlanta to a higher degree. Charlotte looks and acts more the part of Atlanta than Nashville, too...

Ultimately, we know we can draw similarities between Nashville and Atlanta. Nashville isn't "like" Atlanta more than Charlotte is, though, nor does it have a stronger or sibling like relationship with Atlanta more than Charlotte--which for the purposes of this thread, means its less of a "little brother" to Atlanta than Charlotte is...
I've always thought it was a curse that Atlanta was the ONLY Southern city with its **** together for decade after decade. Lack of competition, synergy, and commerce between Atlanta and the handful of medium sized southern cities hurt the region economically and perceptually. It would be great to build out and connect the Piedmont corridor, but Southern Governors generally lack imagination...

Raleigh-Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta-Birmingham-Chattanooga-Nashville

Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
It's nowhere near as pervasive in Dallas compared to Houston and Atlanta.
True I just took that as it was somehow devoid of it the area.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
More subdue? Not at all. In some ways, its worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City