Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times

Advertisements

Think of Chicago as New York and Miami on a budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 PM

157 posts, read 186,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Think of Chicago as New York and Miami on a budget.

The Red Roof Inn across the street from where I live in Chicago was nearly $300 a night before it closed for renovations (or maybe condemned... I'm not sure.) AirBnB is >$200 a night for a private room to... So maybe not such a bargain in season.

But the real estate prices are certainly better and you can do a lot for free (Millenium Park/Concerts, Cultural Center concerts and programming, beaches, etc. There are half price tickets to a lot of things on hottix and goldstar... but the major sites and museums and restaurants are sadly as pricey as most cities.

Chicago extracts its share out of its 55 million annual visitors as well most cities.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:21 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Red Roof Inn is practically on Michigan Avenue, which people from all over the world come to visit. And it's a stone's throw from Navy Pier, which is Chicago's single biggest attraction (how how HOW?). Clearly it, along with the other downtown hotels, are going to be expensive but not New York or Boston expensive, outside of the occasional major convention. And don't forget Red Roof is by Second Story bar, so what you spend on a hotel, you can make up for on some damn strong and well-priced drinks.

Are our restaurants as expensive as other cities? I really have no idea if Benny's or Morton's prices are comparable.

As for museums, I agree they're expensive - especially to DC where the Smithsonian's are free. I also don't know how they compare elsewhere. I remember Mutter Museum in Philly was $18 and the International Surgical Museum is either $20 or $25, but that's my only frame of reference.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Absolutely! Anyone that says otherwise is narrow minded. In regards, to what particularly is distinctive about Chicago?

1. Well, while New York is on a grid in many places, it has some areas, like Lower Manhattan, that aren't completely. Chicago is almost perfectly laid out that way, in fact I think many claim it is one of, if not the best designed cities in the world.

2. The Waterfront: Certainly, the Hudson Riverfront makes for very picturesque views, and the ocean isn't too far, but Chicago's urban waterfront might be the best of anywhere in the world. Doing the Lakefront Trail by bike is a must, with all the incredible views and park spaces you'll see (like Millennium)

3. Wrigley Field: There are other sports pilgrimages to make here (Soldier Field has a beautiful exterior, Michael Jordan's arena (United Center), etc.), but this one (from what I've heard, haven't actually been), is truly almost a life changer. The oldness and intimacy of the stadium, the atmosphere, the Ivy/organ, the surrounding neighborhood bars and pizza joints, etc. Definitely something worth checking out.

4. The Architecture: I know this was kinda touched on in regards to the waterfront, but so many of the buildings in Chicago over the past century have become world famous and started new architectural trends on a global basis altogether. The two most famous architects, Daniel Burnham, and Frank Lloyd Wright, who are globally famous, have their base here.

5. While I think NYC is probably still entrenched as America's (and the world's possibly) cultural capital, Chicago is outstanding on a global scale as well (likely top 10), and in some ways matches (or exceeds) NYC.
The AIC I believe is widely beloved, ranked perhaps only below the Met, but definitely world class. The theater scene is outstanding as well, and I believe the Symphony and MOSI outrank any similar ventures in NYC. Also many free museums.

6. The George Lucas Museum, and Obama Museum in coming years will also likely be appealing. But, in the meantime, history of the prohibition movement, and Al Capone, in Chicago is likely top notch and worth seeing.

7. Beyond the city, there are some cool offerings also. Due west, you will run into leafy suburbs and park spaces of Chicago, wide prairies and farm country (which has it's own type of beauty and experience worth seeing), and if you get far enough (about 3 hours I think), the Mississippi River, stunning topography, and towns like Galena and Dubuque. If you go East, especially along Lake Michigan, there are also outstanding sights. The Dunes around Lake Michigan (Indiana Dunes, an hour without traffic, is closest) are incredible on a global scale. The water is so clear, and the dunes are much bigger than you could ever expect. Nothing remotely on their scale exists on the East Coast that I know of.
Great post, except #6. The Lucas Museum got shut down.

Concur on Wrigley - it is unmatched. Fenway can't touch Wrigley. And I'm a White Sox fan.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Thanks, Friends of the Parking lot!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 PM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
Chicago is the best summer city in America. From June- early September no city is better and this is thought by many many people.

That said, if I was from Europe or anywhere overseas i would visit NYC first no matter what time of the year. In the summer I would visit Chicago second.

If you are looking for a "city" experience those are the best, esp in the Summer for Chicago.

L.A. is of course a city, but laid out where it is not walkable.

Now if you are talking February, Chicago would not be on my Top 10!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Chicago is big fun. You can be in Chicago, and not even think about NYC unless you're downtown. The cultures are different, the layout is different, architecture is different, vibe is different, Deep Dish is pretty damn good (better than any pizza that I had in NYC), Chicago is cleaner, structurally dense, yet has elbow room.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Lots of Great Post .... but on a budget and if alone and want to do it on the cheap? Do a hostel.

I did last summer in Lincoln Park. A dorm with rest room but common shower area. Average $33 a night for 10-days and free breakfast and coffee with some nights free food on the grill. Clark St bus to downtown or Brown/Red line L.

Only was in the room to sleep my buzz off and got up early enough to be alone in the shower and sink. Met people from around the world and nation. Most young yes.

If I'm gonna do a $200 a night motel? It ain't gonna be a Red Roof. You can do them deals on priceline or Expedia and such. Choose a neighborhood and star level motel and they give you a price ..... but THEY choose the motel. Or a bid your own price and try you much. Been there and done that with no problems. AARP can gain discounts too if a member. Also avoid large convention weeks.

Luv the positive Chicago post though ....

Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
If you visited New York City, do you think it is worth it to see Chicago?
Everybody is beating up on the OP, but I get what he's (she's?) saying: if you revel in certain aspects of New York: crowds, culture, walkability, great neighborhoods, old style buildings, density, great shopping and restaurants, awesome public transit, etc... then why seek out Chicago which, on many levels, duplicates these aspects. But the OP is being more rhetorical than literal to spark discussion, and I get it...

Of course, Chicago is different in many ways than New York despite their aforementioned broad similarities. I love them both, but the things I noted are what I consider foremost when I'm evaluating a place to visit and/or live. And Chicago and New York obviously have more of these aspects than any other American City. To me the beautiful Chicago Lakefront, a greater sense of cleanliness and a less pretentious attitude makes Chicago a bit more desirable to me, personally, but clearly, I love them BOTH.

note also: Chicago is considerably cheaper than NYC.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Yeah, using Priceline or Hotwire you can get a nice hotel in the downtown (Loop or Near North) for about $175 a night after taxes, which is not bad all things considered. You halve that if you are willing to stay farther out and use public transportation. Metra is $8 for a weekend pass, and kids are included for free. The water taxi is also a good deal compared to traditional tour boats. And you can go to the Signature Room on the Hanckock's 95th floor and skip paying for an observation deck. Also lots of good cheap walking tours. Millenium Park free concerts are great and the Cultural Center and many Lincoln Park attractions are free (the zoo.)

So no doubt Chicago can be done on a budget. But you'll still have pass on some of the best known attractions like the Willis Tower viewing deck, Art Institute, Aquarium, Field (although lots of free days), Architecture boat tour etc. But you can easily swap in a lot of good sights that are cheaper or free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City