Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM

397 posts, read 319,251 times

Advertisements

New York City's growth never ceases to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
They probably could care less.
I think they would care.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think they would care.

Nah. Charlotte has three urbanized areas within its MSA, so it's not all that surprising.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
That was done because the density used to define the UA was not actually interrupted it was contiguous but it extended into the Providence, Worcester and Manchester MSA's so was not previously included. Now it is included because it is contiguous physically even if by commute patterns it is stuck in with a different metro area. However most of the additional people added in the Boston metro have actually been added in the urban core and very little development has happened at the suburban fringes compared to what is happening in the core.

Everything in orange and brown on this map that is contiguous to Boston is now included in the UA whereas previously it was cut off at the MSA borders. The US census definition of an urban area is also very generous and is part of the reason that the Boston UA is so large.

Here is the same type of map for NYC and Philly since they are connected.
For the record, I don't have any problems with Boston or how Demographia defines its UA when including the satellite communities around it.

I favor that.

I was just explaining to someone that some areas like Boston and New York, the added population that their UA's have accumulated since 2010 is a result of both natural population growth, as well as territorial expansion. I don't have a problem with that, was just explaining what it is to someone else. New York, for example, got two-thirds of its new population naturally but also acquired a third of it from territorial expansion as a result of the UA's definition being revised to what it is now. I don't have a problem with that at all. These things will bear themselves out on their own, it'll show. You'll see that when you sort through the details.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM

382 posts, read 488,658 times
Quote:
Save for a few on CD forum, of course.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:19 AM

108 posts, read 143,343 times
I thought Nashville would be in the top 5 in percentage. Interesting...

Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think they would care.
I doubt it, I don't think there is any ill will, but they are not concerned with what Raleigh is doing.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Quote:
You aren't from around these parts are you?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM

504 posts, read 616,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
For the record, I don't have any problems with Boston or how Demographia defines its UA when including the satellite communities around it.

I favor that.

I was just explaining to someone that some areas like Boston and New York, the added population that their UA's have accumulated since 2010 is a result of both natural population growth, as well as territorial expansion. I don't have a problem with that, was just explaining what it is to someone else. New York, for example, got two-thirds of its new population naturally but also acquired a third of it from territorial expansion as a result of the UA's definition being revised to what it is now. I don't have a problem with that at all. These things will bear themselves out on their own, it'll show. You'll see that when you sort through the details.
I am not saying it's a bad thing either. I actually think it is a more accurate representation of the UA for both Boston and New York because although the commuting patterns break the developed areas up the UA is contiguous. I would even suggest combining NYC and Philly's UA at this point.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
You aren't from around these parts are you?
Ain't nobody in Charlotte worried about Raleigh, if that's what you're insinuating. And if also say the reverse is mostly true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City