Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Actually the same group of like 5 guys.
What group? There is no group, it was just one guy. He's had national interviews since that video hit YouTube. If fact, CBS interviewed him last year during the RNC in Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's sorta true, in certain neighborhood. Detroit has a BIG problem with feral packs of dogs.

I would be much more scared of the dogs than any "bad dudes" if I were to walk or bike Detroit ghettohoods. You wanna face down a hungry pack of feral pit bulls, in a half-vacant neigborhood, in a city where the police take 1 hour to respond?
I'm in all parts of Detroit day and night a hell of alot more then you are and I can't remember the last time I seen a pack of wild dogs running the streets so I know for a fact you haven't experienced any of the bs in your post. Hell I haven't been chased by a stray dog since I was a young teen.

Also, emergency response times in Detroit average 15 minutes... not an hour. Which brings me to your other post which is also false saying 95% of the city is as bad as ever. That is not even close to being true. Improvements has happened in way more than 5% of the city rather big or small. I would elaborate more on this if I was at my computer instead of my phone.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I'm in all parts of Detroit day and night a hell of alot more then you are and I can't remember the last time I seen a pack of wild dogs running the streets so I know for a fact you haven't experienced any of the bs in your post. Hell I haven't been chased by a stray dog since I was a young teen.

Also, emergency response times in Detroit average 15 minutes... not an hour. Which brings me to your other post which is also false saying 95% of the city is as bad as ever. That is not even close to being true. Improvements has happened in way more than 5% of the city rather big or small. I would elaborate more on this if I was at my computer instead of my phone.
Just another story out there to make Detroit sound like a terrifying place.

If people would actually visit downtown Detroit, they would find it an enjoyable experience and see that there are revitalization projects going on.

I lived there for 10 years and while the city is not perfect, it isn't the dark and dangerous place that people make it out to be. Yeah, it has its issues with crime but look at places like D.C. and Memphis which are typically given a pass.

Rust Belt cities are typically picked apart while the cities on the East Coast are romanticized. I've been to the major cities on the East Coast and in the Midwest; the unsafest I've felt was in D.C. Cleveland and Chicago are clean compared to NYC and Philadelphia.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

If people would actually visit downtown Detroit, they would find it an enjoyable experience and see that there are revitalization projects going on.

I lived there for 10 years and while the city is not perfect, it isn't the dark and dangerous place that people make it out to be. Yeah, it has its issues with crime but look at places like D.C. and Memphis which are typically given a pass.

Rust Belt cities are typically picked apart while the cities on the East Coast are romanticized. I've been to the major cities on the East Coast and in the Midwest; the unsafest I've felt was in D.C. Cleveland and Chicago are clean compared to NYC and Philadelphia.
Amen . And not just downtown but other parts of the city and metro area as well. It's good to see people on the coast that are not on some coastal high horse and over exaggerate negative stereotypes. East coast cities have came back strong and part of the reason is because people started looking at the positives of those cities and built on it. For this guy to say that Detroit gets a balanced share of good and bad press is beyond laughable.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Actually the same group of like 5 guys.
That's false.

Mike Polk Jr. Where do you get this from? Common knowledge in Cleveland.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the fact that Rust Belt cities are picked apart, but I think both Coasts get romanticized not just the East Coast. The West Coast gets its share of romanticizing too. Why does the Coasts gets romanticized so much?

I've been to D.C. and I didn't feel too safe there while I been to Chicago, I felt a little safer there. Some people think that people from Rust Belt cities are take the criticisms seriously, but all we're saying is that we're tired of being the Coasts or the national media's whipping boy for all what's wrong with America. It's almost like we're the scapegoat, the only Midwest city that doesn't get that treatment is Chicago.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's false.

Mike Polk Jr. Where do you get this from? Common knowledge in Cleveland.
Listen to the song there are harmonies, it's not one person.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Listen to the song there are harmonies, it's not one person.
It was Mike Polk and a couple of backup singers. It's not a group just one guy, that's it. I know that New Kids on the Block don't make up songs about trashing Boston lol. I know that a lot of you Coasters got a big laughs out of this song because you big city people can all say, "At least that ain't my city." Everybody (especially Bostonians) gets a kick out our sports failures because at least y'all can say, "We've won pro sports titles almost every year it seems. Glad we're not Cleveland." It's OK. LOL!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Detroit is definitely improving. Downtown is night and day compared to even 5 years ago, and much more is in store. Lots of activity, foot traffic, restaurants, re-purposed office buildings converted into apartments and buzz... Midtown is also beginning to flourish and is one of the few honest-to-goodness living/walkable areas of the city outside downtown. There have always been good living areas in the city like Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Lafayette Park (sterile though it may be), Rosedale Park, Boston-Edison and Indian Village, among others... Yes there are horrific areas of open weed-choked fields, burnt houses and decay. But much improvement is being made. Very exciting times for the city.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
It was Mike Polk and a couple of backup singers. It's not a group just one guy, that's it. I know that New Kids on the Block don't make up songs about trashing Boston lol. I know that a lot of you Coasters got a big laughs out of this song because you big city people can all say, "At least that ain't my city." Everybody (especially Bostonians) gets a kick out our sports failures because at least y'all can say, "We've won pro sports titles almost every year it seems. Glad we're not Cleveland." It's OK. LOL!
Wait, now Boston sports fans are singled out for hating Cleveland sports teams? That seems odd, I hated the Cavs for a few years when the Celtics and Cavs were good at the same time, then the Celts got old and Lebron went to Miami and I went back to "nothinging" the Cavs. I think I'll always hate the Lakers, Steelers, Ravens, Jets, NY Giants, but I have no strong feelings for Cleveland sports teams.

I still like Tito once the Indians beat the Sox I was actually hoping you won the World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City