Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There are declining industrial towns in Massachusetts, but not one person calls that the Rust Belt. Because the Rust Belt really only refers to the "Great Lakes" area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/r...-close-up.html
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/cle...e-arts-culture

These are the headlines about a city with 37% Poverty and losing population. Tell me again how the media glosses over East Coast Cities problems?

I've read most of those articles, but those are the only few articles that have praised Cleveland. Most of the media and people still view Cleveland as ugly, not glamorous, broke, struggling, no jobs, population loss, no pop. over 500,000. While people view the East Coast cities as prominent, diverse, center of the universe, go-getters, multiple pro sports titles, population rising in droves, with all of the top universities and hipsters sprinkled in so they get huge. But, nobody ever talks about the East Coast cities' racism, issues with police brutality or school system problems plus it helps when you have most major media networks on the East Coast. I also think Sunbelt cities get their passes as well too.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 08-02-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 AM

36 posts, read 34,982 times
What a ludicrous map.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter View Post
What a ludicrous map.
You're entitled to your opinion. I don't stand by it. I was just replying to a post where someone claimed "no one" would call those areas part of the (recovered) Rust Belt. Some people do.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Cities are only "in" the Rust Belt while they are perceived as struggling, eventually graduating out of it if they return to growth.

There was a time where not only Chicago, but Boston and even Seattle would have been considered to be Rust Belt. No longer of course.
You're misconstruing the word, Rustbelt is not synonymous with struggling (although uninformed individuals might think so) it just defines a certain region. Chicago to the northeast is pretty much all "rustbelt" because of their shared history.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. I don't stand by it. I was just replying to a post where someone claimed "no one" would call those areas part of the (recovered) Rust Belt. Some people do.
It's not a matter of opinion, "recovered" rust belt on that map implies all those areas in the yellow are depressed or something when much of what is colored in the yellow encompasses some of the wealthiest places in the United States and some of the most educated cities.

And how is Baltimore considered "recovered" compared to Chicago? That's just all sorts of stupidity, moronity, media propaganda, etc.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I've read most of those articles, but those are the only few articles that have praised Cleveland. Most of the media and people still view Cleveland as ugly, not glamorous, broke, struggling, no jobs, population loss, no pop. over 500,000. While people view the East Coast cities as prominent, diverse, center of the universe, go-getters, multiple pro sports titles, population rising in droves, with all of the top universities and hipsters sprinkled in so they get huge. But, nobody ever talks about the East Coast cities' racism, issues with police brutality or school system problems plus it helps when you have most major media networks on the East Coast. I also think Sunbelt cities get their passes as well too.
Northeast cities like Boston and New York don't get the same crap as other cities about their public schools because they are better. Boston has the best public schools of any large city in the nation, and Baltimore and Washington get plenty of press for their failing schools.

stories about "cool, hip" Boston
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/u...t-service.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...so-bad/317626/
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/s...ympic-bid.html

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
True, but for most people perception is reality, or as I like to say THEIR perception is reality. Even though, Cleveland is having this rebirth mostly everybody still feels its a wasteland or a 3rd World Country. When Cleveland was selected for the RNC most of the media, especially the Beltway media, made snarky comments about going to Cleveland for the convention. A lot of them wished that Dallas was picked over Cleveland (pre-convention).

A lot of your Coast cities, Sunbelt cities or say a city like Chicago get passes based on perception. Also, the media shapes a lot views and perceptions of cities as well from CNN all the way to ESPN. So, those cities flaws are glossed over because of tourists attractions, nightlife, beaches, famous people, etc. You'll never see those cities on "The Worst In Anything" list. On the flip side, Cleveland can't even escape a doggone YouTube video from 8 years ago, sports failures or the river catching on fire. Also, other Rust Belt cities can't escape they're past except for Pittsburgh, nobody calls them a 3rd World Country. But, Rust Belt cities are on everybody's "Worst In Anything" list.
I never knew people got that mad over where somebody choose to held an event. And why Dallas over Cleveland? no offense to Dallas but what's the difference that they wanted it to be held in Dallas so bad?

And this just goes to show the media are the coastal cities best friend and the Midwest cities worst enemy. It's a little better now but back around the great recession I said all the time that I wish the media would s.t.f.u about problems in Midwest cities and stay in their perfect little world on the coast. Because as concerned as they pretend to be, they don't do shlt to help.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I never knew people got that mad over where somebody choose to held an event. And why Dallas over Cleveland? no offense to Dallas but what's the difference that they wanted it to be held in Dallas so bad?

And this just goes to show the media are the coastal cities best friend and the Midwest cities worst enemy. It's a little better now but back around the great recession I said all the time that I wish the media would s.t.f.u about problems in Midwest cities and stay in their perfect little world on the coast. Because as concerned as they pretend to be, they don't do shlt to help.

In my opinion, they preferred Dallas over Cleveland because it's more bigger city, widely-known plus it's Texas. You know what they say everything's bigger in Texas. Some even said they wished that Philly and Austin (who didn't have the amenities that Cleveland had for the RNC) instead of Cleveland. Most of the media are from Coastal cities or Chicago and a lot of them have biases for their cities so nothing is never good enough for them because it isn't their city. The media a lot of times is the Coast and the Sunbelt's friend and the Midwest's enemy so those cities never have their flaws on full display; those cities get more cover than I've ever seen.

But, I also have to say after the RNC a lot of people's perceptions changed about Cleveland. Most of them feared that it was going to be violence and chaos. But, a lot of them praised the people, the law enforcement and the food. And, most of them admitted that they had perceived Cleveland on preconceived notions due to hearsay (i.e. family, friends, stand-up comics) and ironically, the media, and most of them hadn't even been to Cleveland prior to coming for the RNC. So, how do you make judgments on a place you never been to?

Here's the link about the DC media's comments about Cleveland: http://thehill.com/blogs/twitter-roo...ark-from-media

Last edited by QCongress83216; 08-02-2017 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
You can put up a map with colors on it if you want, but it's ridiculous. Do you know what a "belt" is?

NOBODY is talking about New England when they use the term "Rust Belt."

Be dense if you want. But you know it's true. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City