Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I have to question the premise of this thread, not because the OP is wrong but because it is far more complicated than just grouping cities and asking which collectively take the burnt of the criticism.

The reality is that some non-Rustbelt cities get criticized and others do not. The reality is also that some Rustbelt cities get criticized, while others do not.

The places that get the biggest pass are usually the ones that are propped up by the most posters. This is often cyclical between cities and can happen to any given city. No set rules for which cities get a pass more than others, it is cyclical and happens to them all at one moment or another.

The point of the premise is that myself and lot of people feel that Coastal cities, Sunbelt cities and cosmopolitan cities like Chicago get passes in spite of their flaws while the Rust Belt or Legacy cities get criticized, trashed and dogged with their flaws being put on full display. It's about which cities get more of a pass with their flaws being glossed over by the media and/or citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
The point of the premise is that myself and lot of people feel that Coastal cities, Sunbelt cities and cosmopolitan cities like Chicago get passes in spite of their flaws while the Rust Belt or Legacy cities get criticized, trashed and dogged with their flaws being put on full display. It's about which cities get more of a pass with their flaws being glossed over by the media and/or citizens.
Maybe because their flaws are less serious. People are moving to Charlotte, and from Cleveland. However if you looked at the news coverage surrounding the cities they are pretty darn similar.

Try finding a positive story about Boston or Philadelphia in the 60s or 70s when those cities were stagnate/declining like Pittsburgh and Cleveland are today

Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maybe because their flaws are less serious. People are moving to Charlotte, and from Cleveland. However if you looked at the news coverage surrounding the cities they are pretty darn similar.

Try finding a positive story about Boston or Philadelphia in the 60s or 70s when those cities were stagnate/declining like Pittsburgh and Cleveland are today
Or the flaws are just different, not necessarily less.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:47 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or the flaws are just different, not necessarily less.
People will put up with anything if they can find a decent job. The Twin Cities, Fargo, Grand Rapids, Boston, and Madison are all growing and have similar or worse climates than the Rust belt
D.C. And Atlanta have good economies so peoplemove there despite the crime rate.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
There is some bias towards the Sunbelt and Coastal cities. Never heard the media predict the end of the Sunbelt. All I'm saying is that those cities get a pass and their flaws glossed over while the Rust Belt or Legacy cities don't get ANY pass and their flaws are put on full national display. Nobody talks about Miami's high poverty rate nationally because South Beach, nightlife and beaches give them a pass. You're from Texas so you're gonna defend your region, I understand.
And apparently so do you.
Anytime a sunbelt city comes up as a discussion point one can count down the seconds before someone mention s the sprawl or or low-income etc.
Heck Houston or Dallas are often even referred to as no "real" cities.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
And apparently so do you.
Anytime a sunbelt city comes up as a discussion point one can count down the seconds before someone mention s the sprawl or or low-income etc.
Heck Houston or Dallas are often even referred to as no "real" cities.
How do I defend my region? Plus, I never mention the sprawl or low income of Sunbelt cities. I can't speak on Houston or Dallas because I never visited them, but the ones who they aren't real cities is your Coastal elite or ignorant media. But, at least the Sunbelt cities sprawl isn't demonized as bad as the Rust Belt's population loss, lack of jobs, economy and reputations over the last 50 years. Plus, they don't mention Sunbelt cities past like they do the Rust Belt (i.e. the Cuyahoga River fire in the '60s).

Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
How do I defend my region? Plus, I never mention the sprawl or low income of Sunbelt cities. I can't speak on Houston or Dallas because I never visited them, but the ones who they aren't real cities is your Coastal elite or ignorant media. But, at least the Sunbelt cities sprawl isn't demonized as bad as the Rust Belt's population loss, lack of jobs, economy and reputations over the last 50 years. Plus, they don't mention Sunbelt cities past like they do the Rust Belt (i.e. the Cuyahoga River fire in the '60s).
Yeah, the Presidential shooting or crash of the 80s about Dallas and Houston... When does Cleveland's history really get brought up in a negative light? Maybe in respect to the Rust Belt as a whole but, by the same token, a lot of Sunbelt cities in the South get the same treatment because of the history involving slavery, the Civil War, historic racism. You even have some posters on this forum who will vote against Austin/DFW/Houston/San Antonio simply because "it's in Texas."

And this may be subjective, but I feel like most people will agree with me that sprawl is, in fact, less of an issue for a city than population loss or a bad economy, especially considering the fact that basically all American cities are composed of sprawl with low density.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:30 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
I though we are talking about the general perception of sunbelt or rustbelt cities, not yours in particular. So it really doesn't matter if you don't mention the sprawl or low income etc. . My argument was and is that the points I mentioned are usually brought and are negatives which are generally associated with sunbelt cites.
That the rustbelt cities are more "demonized" for their negatives than the sunbelt are for theirs is a pretty subjective opinion.
Fact remains both regions have their negatives pointed out quite frequently and basically in every discussion when in comparison with another region.
And really so do the other regions around the country, I really don't see the point in being so persistent about being the biggest victim.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
But cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Toledo, Flint, etc. are MUCH more troubled than coastal cities. Why would you expect them to have similar reputations? You think Detroit should have the same reputation as NYC??

Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Toledo, Flint, etc. are MUCH more troubled than coastal cities. Why would you expect them to have similar reputations? You think Detroit should have the same reputation as NYC??

I never expected them to have similar reputations I'm talking about Coastal and Sunbelt cities getting a pass more than Rust Belt cities. I said those cities get more of a pass in spite of their flaws, read my very first post. For example, NY gets a pass in spite of Stop and Frisk, DC gets a pass in spite of its high crime rate. You're from New Orleans, so that's easy for you to say, NOLA has a great reputation and NOLA even gets a pass despite having a high crime rate. Rust Belt cities don't get any passes for their flaws, past or present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City