Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I never expected them to have similar reputations I'm talking about Coastal and Sunbelt cities getting a pass more than Rust Belt cities. I said those cities get more of a pass in spite of their flaws, read my very first post. For example, NY gets a pass in spite of Stop and Frisk, DC gets a pass in spite of its high crime rate. You're from New Orleans, so that's easy for you to say, NOLA has a great reputation and NOLA even gets a pass despite having a high crime rate. Rust Belt cities don't get any passes for their flaws, past or present.
That's because in the end Jobs matter. None of those problems caused 10-20% of regional population.
New York does get flack for Stop and Frisk
Boston gets flack for being boring
Charlotte and Dallas get called soulless mega Suburbs.

If anything comparing the actual situations on the ground the maritime on Cleveland or Pittsburgh is disproportionately positive, if you listened to The NY Times or CBS or whatever you'd think they were booming not shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Let me preface this by saying I love New York. I grew up there and I think it's the best city in the country. That said, New York gets more passes than any other city in the world. Its wages don't match its cost-of-living. It's the weather is abysmal...brutal winters AND summers.
I agree 100%. Any mild criticism of NYC on CD or really in general is frowned upon. I still like NYC way more than I used to, but will never live there ever again (unless some family emergency took place.) The weather compared to CA or CO is awful.

My current city, Denver also tends to get a pass. It's expanding way too rapidly, the people moving here are mostly selfish and stuck up millennial trash, it's cliquey, and culturally there isn't a lot (mountains aside.) Let's just say there are a lot of 26-36 year olds that act like they're 12-15.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
nm

Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I agree 100%. Any mild criticism of NYC on CD or really in general is frowned upon. I still like NYC way more than I used to, but will never live there ever again (unless some family emergency took place.) The weather compared to CA or CO is awful.

My current city, Denver also tends to get a pass. It's expanding way too rapidly, the people moving here are mostly selfish and stuck up millennial trash, it's cliquey, and culturally there isn't a lot (mountains aside.) Let's just say there are a lot of 26-36 year olds that act like they're 12-15.
Why do you feel that Denver has been given a pass and by who?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

Wow, this seems pretty harsh. I've only been to the old airport once, but am anxious to visit my buddy and his wife, who live in Littleton, and explore the city. Denver seems very interesting, has invested heavily in public transit and has a lot of TOD downtown near Union station. There seems like a lot of neat areas in Capitol Hill and in the warehouse district, downtown, and along the 16th street (?) mall. I know the population is pretty diverse racially and ethnically for a city isolated up in the Rockies. They had an African American mayor back in the 90s IIRC... I can't wait to visit.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I though we are talking about the general perception of sunbelt or rustbelt cities, not yours in particular. So it really doesn't matter if you don't mention the sprawl or low income etc. . My argument was and is that the points I mentioned are usually brought and are negatives which are generally associated with sunbelt cites.
That the rustbelt cities are more "demonized" for their negatives than the sunbelt are for theirs is a pretty subjective opinion.
Fact remains both regions have their negatives pointed out quite frequently and basically in every discussion when in comparison with another region.
And really so do the other regions around the country, I really don't see the point in being so persistent about being the biggest victim.

I was using my city as an example of how the Rust Belt cities are perceived. This isn't about being the biggest victim, it just seems to me that the Rust Belt gets more scrutiny for its past and its present, i.e. urban decay, lack of jobs, bad economies, too many unions. Meanwhile, the Sunbelt is looked at as a representation of new growth, it's where everybody is moving to, businesses are being built, right to work states etc. Yes, Sunbelt cities may still have their past pointed out as far as racism and slavery, but that is slowly changing due to a significant number of African Americans moving to the Sunbelt. What negatives do you hear people pointing out about the Sunbelt?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
I was using my city as an example of how the Rust Belt cities are perceived. This isn't about being the biggest victim, it just seems to me that the Rust Belt gets more scrutiny for its past and its present, i.e. urban decay, lack of jobs, bad economies, too many unions. Meanwhile, the Sunbelt is looked at as a representation of new growth, it's where everybody is moving to, businesses are being built, right to work states etc. Yes, Sunbelt cities may still have their past pointed out as far as racism and slavery, but that is slowly changing due to a significant number of African Americans moving to the Sunbelt. What negatives do you hear people pointing out about the Sunbelt?
Sprawl, low wages, sprawl, hot weather, sprawl

Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
The truth is that you cannot speak specifically about a general grouping of cities. Regarding CvC, there are multiple reasons some cities get more props than others:

- Urban character (NE, West Coast, etc.)
- Aggressive GDP/Economic growth (sunbelt)
- Weather (sunbelt)
- Cheap living (sunbelt)

The cities that get the most flack are those that are weak in most of the above. Older post-industrial rust belt cities who have lost a lot of urban character (cohesiveness), have weak economic growth in wintry climates with higher taxes take a beating. They have some great communities, but they are not going to be at the pinnacle of attractiveness.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sprawl, low wages, sprawl, hot weather, sprawl
I never heard about low wages associated with Sunbelt, I guess the whole "Right to Work" things isn't all that it's cracked up to be. And, I never heard about the whole sprawl thing either. Why do people feel that sprawl is a negative thing? I think people only talk about the hot weather when it comes to summer because it's more hotter there outside of the West Coast. Where do you think the hype for the Sunbelt came from?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
Quote:
I never heard about low wages associated with Sunbelt, I guess the whole "Right to Work" things isn't all that it's cracked up to be. And, I never heard about the whole sprawl thing either. Why do people feel that sprawl is a negative thing? I think people only talk about the hot weather when it comes to summer because it's more hotter there outside of the West Coast. Where do you think the hype for the Sunbelt came from?
Most likely the hype comes from explosive population stats over the last 100 years. I'm surprised you haven't heard these other stereotypes they are quite well noted on here. You are very quick to point out and defend the stereotypes and misconceptions about your own city. It would seem fair to recognize misconceptions in other places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City