Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
And holding a conversation about something like this is wrong because...?
Its not wrong but when comparing the scenery of the two states its a glaring omission to compare just the Catskills and the PA Ridge and Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its not wrong but when comparing the scenery of the two states its a glaring omission to compare just the Catskills and the PA Ridge and Valley.
You're still missing the point.

I AM talking about this specific comparison now. The conversation has taken a turn in that direction, at least between myself and another user.

I've noticed a trend lately where friendly conversation is shunned and frowned upon online. It's okay to talk about specific elements of a larger picture, you know. It's also okay to have different preferences and not be hostile about it.

If you compare slightly differing shades of red in two different paintings by two different artists of two different skill levels, is that not okay because one painting was done professionally and the other in a garage on somebody's spare time?

If conversational progression is so offensive I am surprised a forum such as this still exists.

I am not comparing the Adirondacks to the blue ridge because they are not entirely comparable. Is it so horrifyingly awful that I have stepped back a bit from the overall NY vs PA as a whole focus and have decided to discuss nuances?

Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 AM

93,324 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but what would be some places in PA that are similar to quaint, lakeside communities in NY like Cazenovia, Skaneateles, Cooperstown, Sackets Harbor, Watkins Glen, Aurora, Hammondsport, etc.?
Would places like North East or Lake City near Erie come closest in terms of being such communities?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Now how about we see what the height is from base to summit? You may find the Catskills are ultimately not much bigger than the northern blue ridge.

After all, parts of Kansas exceed 4000 feet in elevation. Unless it's one enormous gentle mountain, elevation doesn't mean everything. I've used this point in a thread about the Appalachians versus the west before.

I don't know for certain, I'd have to do some research as well, but I believe the rise of the Catskills is similar to the blue ridge in PA.

I'm not sure if you mean the Allegheny Front/Laurel highlands by blue ridge? The blue ridge does not make it into Pennsylvania. The highest mountains in PA are the Allegehny Mountains/Laurel highlands in Southwest PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
FYI the ridge and valley section of PA is scenic, but by no means the highest mountains of PA. See what I said above. The Allegheny Front gets screwed in prominence because it's tied into the same ridges that rise even higher in WV. But, for instance, Blue Knob (PAs 2nd highest mountain at 3,174 ft) rises from Claysburg, PA at ~1,000 ft which is comparable to the prominence of Slide Mt. The mountains rise about the same as the tallest peaks of the Catskills, but due to their ridge like rise, get screwed by how prominence is measured.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean the Allegheny Front/Laurel highlands by blue ridge? The blue ridge does not make it into Pennsylvania.
Not true. The northern end of the Blue Ridge range ends in southern PA north of South Mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_R...achian_map.svg

Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not true. The northern end of the Blue Ridge range ends in southern PA north of South Mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_R...achian_map.svg
They actually go even a bit further north than on that diagram. Actually that diagram is confusing as the Allegheny plateau goes much further north and the New England Appalachians are further inland, not coastal.

Odd.

That's a really bad representation once it hits the north. haha

This one is more accurate, but still loses the plot a bit in New England.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...valley-map.png

Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
New York.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean the Allegheny Front/Laurel highlands by blue ridge? The blue ridge does not make it into Pennsylvania. The highest mountains in PA are the Allegehny Mountains/Laurel highlands in Southwest PA.
My apologies, I am actually rolling them together (colloquial habit).

I am also speaking of the Allegheny mountains. As shown in the previous couple of posts, the blue ridge are actually in southern PA.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
My apologies, I am actually rolling them together (colloquial habit).

I am also speaking of the Allegheny mountains. As shown in the previous couple of posts, the blue ridge are actually in southern PA.
Ah I see, I must have been mistaking you. The Blue Ridge (mountain ridge itself) stretches from the Carolinas to just south of Boonsboro, MD but the Blue Ridge mountains do extend into southern PA as a different ridge (South Mountain).

I had no idea the Reading Prong was considered Blue Ridge Mountains still. I thought the whole Whites/Greens/Berkshires all the way to Reading was geologically different. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Neither been to either, and Pittsburgh appeals to me more than Buffalo or Syracuse, but northern New York state has that New England vibe which is a big draw. Idk, hard to say. I'd have to visit myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City