Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall best foodie location?
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta) 14 15.22%
Dallas (Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 2.17%
Houston (Greater Houston) 47 51.09%
Miami (Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale) 9 9.78%
Washington D.C. (Greater Washington D.C.) 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM

76 posts, read 69,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I agree that it's no big deal if a city's missing Cambodian, Tibetan or other relatively obscure cuisines. However I would argue that Moroccan is fairly major and it's unique enough that it cannot be represented by other cuisines in its region.
You're also right there aren't that many good options in Houston when it comes to European ethnic cuisines. There's only 1 Polish restaurant for example. We also have very few decent Filipino establishments even though there are a lot of Filipinos here. These blind spots still don't make a lot of sense to me.
I'm pretty sure I've been to that Polish restaurant you're talking about. They'd always give bread with lard for an appetizer. That and this Bosnian restaurant were the highlights I remember of Houston. But still, European cuisines were lacking. Even finding something like Neapolitan pizza requires searching and getting in your car and driving. Here (MB) I have maybe 5 different spots I can get Neapolitan pizza within 15 mins walk. Ofc if I want Korean I'm getting in my car. And if I want Ethiopian? I need to drive all the way to PBC.

Funny you mentioned Filipinos, I had some Filipino friends back in Houston (and still have 1 in NYC) and I'd always eat at their homes. I once asked for some restaurant recommendations and they mentioned one place under an overpass that I never tried. My feeling is the Filipino community in Houston is fairly spread out which is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
Anyone can post a Yelp link to restaurants. Be a little bit more intelligent and reread what I wrote. Better yet, don't respond to me I have no use for you.
Wouldn't that be convenient? You're running out of ammo, Sitting Bull LOL.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I really don't get the low turnout for Dallas. It's a great food city.
Yes, but this is asking for the best overall and I think the Dallas folks are being realistic. It's definitely DC or Houston.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes, but this is asking for the best overall and I think the Dallas folks are being realistic. It's definitely DC or Houston.
It's pretty well acknowledged among objective Texans that Houston is the better food city and Dallas is the better shopping city. That doesn't mean that Houston doesn't have good shopping and Dallas doesn't have good food because they both do.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
it's so nice to see objectivity like the above posts rather then just blatant homerism and attacks on other cities i.e. LoveinDecatur. Rep'd you both.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
it's so nice to see objectivity like the above posts rather then just blatant homerism and attacks on other cities i.e. LoveinDecatur. Rep'd you both.
Objectivity? Are you delirious? I've seen nothing of substance to back up these ridiculous claims.
And if anything, this thread is a testament to Houston homerism. I personally like Houston, but I'm frankly embarrassed for its' residents right now.
Meanwhile, rave away in your little mental cell.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Objectivity? Are you delirious? I've seen nothing of substance to back up these ridiculous claims.
And if anything, this thread is a testament to Houston homerism. I personally like Houston, but I'm frankly embarrassed for its' residents right now.
it's so strange you never mention anything when the homerism is about Atlanta but rather chime in as an elite member.. I'm pretty sure more people here on this thread are more embarrassed for you and Atlanta based on your comments...

Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Why? Houston is the most diverse big city in the country so it only makes sense that it would have a culinary scene that would reflect that diversity, especially being located in a region (Gulf Coast) already known for its food.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
DC or Houston for the win. Then the rest by near equal margin. I must say Dallas has surprised me with the food options in the two years I've been here. I know some awesome Jamaican, Indian, Thai and Lebanese, Ethopian spots right off of the top of my head.

All of these cities are diverse and getting even more diverse by the day so.. they all will have a good share of diverse tastes.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Honestly, all of these cities are doing pretty well in the food game. The only real criticism that can be levied on this batch of cities is Miami's severe lack of Asian options compared to the other four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City