Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall best foodie location?
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta) 14 15.22%
Dallas (Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 2.17%
Houston (Greater Houston) 47 51.09%
Miami (Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale) 9 9.78%
Washington D.C. (Greater Washington D.C.) 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why? Houston is the most diverse big city in the country so it only makes sense that it would have a culinary scene that would reflect that diversity, especially being located in a region (Gulf Coast) already known for its food.
And I never said otherwise. My sticking point was the assertion that it is head and shoulders above its' peers in said category, based on nothing but puffery and braggadocio.
I should expect no better from this crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
it's so strange you never mention anything when the homerism is about Atlanta but rather chime in as an elite member.. I'm pretty sure more people here on this thread are more embarrassed for you and Atlanta based on your comments...
Well, then, let them speak for themselves. For you to speak for them would be the biggest embarrassment of all.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And I never said otherwise. My sticking point was the assertion that it is head and shoulders above its' peers in said category, based on nothing but puffery and braggadocio.
Why do you keep saying this when not a single person in this thread has said this? The topic is food diversity, where DC and Houston have a slight lead on the others when taking everything into account. No one is discounting Atlanta and the great eats it has but its simply not as diverse...

Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
I think Dallas is about on the same level as Atlanta, which is why its surprising it's not getting many votes. But perhaps, as was said before, Dallas folks are being more realistic than Atlanta folks.

As far as these cities go I'd say:

1. Houston
2. DC
3. Atlanta/Dallas
4. Atlanta/Dallas
5. Miami

This is no knock on Atlanta, Dallas and Miami - they are all excellent food cities. I think Atlanta does Southern and Soul Food the best, and Miami has excellent Latin and European food, among others. As a huge fan of Ethiopian and Korean food, Dallas has the best in Texas by far, and probably the best in the entire South.

With that said, I spend about half the year in both Houston and DC, so I may be biased. Houston has long had a spectacular food scene to me, but DC has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 5 years or so. DC used to be good ethnic restaurants and good upscale restaurants with very little in between, but the food scene has really filled out here - it's much more diverse than it used to be in my opinion.

Oh, and I completely agree with those that say Houston has a distinct lack of European restaurants. Maybe that's primarily cultural? The city has a lower than average number of European-Americans than most large cities, and I think that's part of the explanation. Maybe that's not why, but I can't think of any other reasonable explanation. It's never bothered me because other than Italian and certain German dishes, I'm not all that big on most European cuisines, but that's definitely a hole in the city's culinary scene.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Why do you keep saying this when not a single person in this thread has said this? The topic is food diversity, where DC and Houston have a slight lead on the others when taking everything into account. No one is discounting Atlanta and the great eats it has but its simply not as diverse...
This is more or less how Atlanta homers are.... Atlanta must be the best or at least top 2 in everything or they will argue and tell you that you lack experience, even if you lived there as you've already witnessed with loveindecater telling anyone that's said Atlanta isn't the best for this topic out of the options listed. You'll see.

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-16-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Then why respond at all....... as I said earlier, so weird, but at least you're proving my point so thanks I guess

Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Then why respond at all....... as I said earlier, so weird, but at least you're proving my point so thanks I guess
You've proven nothing, except a complete disassociation from reason and accountability.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You've proven nothing, except a complete disassociation from reason and accountability.
Thanks again

Old 08-16-2017, 04:00 PM

76 posts, read 69,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Honestly, all of these cities are doing pretty well in the food game. The only real criticism that can be levied on this batch of cities is Miami's severe lack of Asian options compared to the other four.
When it comes to Miami, the most significant blind spot is African cuisines. As I stated somewhere in this thread, I would need to drive all the way to PBC for Ethiopian. And Ethiopian is no longer considered "exotic" lol.

When it comes to Asian cuisines, I can generally find everything just need to look harder. Yes, Miami is significantly behind Houston/DC in her Asian offerings (both quantity and quality). When it comes to Atlanta, I don't think there is a huge difference. When it comes to Desi/Korean offerings, yes Atlanta is ahead of Miami. But Miami has more Thai and Sushi options than Atlanta. Despite having a small Japanese population, Miami is saturated with Sushi places due to a combination of cultural and geographic factors. Not to mention Atlanta is also significantly behind in Latin/European offerings.

Again I'm ignoring Dallas because I just don't have enough experience.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Actually it is by a landslide. Houston has the highest variety no question. And seems like the poll shows this as Houston has twice the amount of votes as the second place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City