Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 PM

115 posts, read 96,382 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving the Cincinnati area now that my youngest has moved out (college sophomore). Husband and I are separating/divorcing. I'm somewhat familiar with Asheville, having several family members who live there. I've visited often over the past 10 years. However, I'm not liking the range of pay I'm seeing out there for my line of work (HR Assistant/Recruiter/Admin. Asst./Scheduler). I work full-time and have been with my current employer for 17 years.

Starting over in your mid-50s is challenging.

Would I have better luck in the Charlotte area? How about the quality of life in Charlotte as compared to Asheville? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:55 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
You should post this in the NC forum to get more feedback but you'd definitely do better in Charlotte.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Charlotte is going to have a significantly better job market. Asheville housing costs are generally the highest in the state. You pay for the pretty mountain views. I would rather live in Charlotte unless I was retired or independently wealthy.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 AM

201 posts, read 220,537 times
^Agreed with all of that except I'd rather live in Asheville than Charlotte. Asheville also has colder winters, if that means anything to you.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
Would I have better luck in the Charlotte area? How about the quality of life in Charlotte as compared to Asheville? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The leap from Cincinnati to Charlotte is going to be the most comfortable and comparable size-wise. Plus anytime you want to visit Asheville you can on a day trip. Charlotte's a nice city, but not really my thing. Then again I did live in Charlotte, but wouldn't live in Cincinnati (visited several times though).

If you really want to be close to Asheville, but still need to hold down the 9 to 5 your looking at Greenville (assuming you're okay with smaller areas, otherwise it's Charlotte all the way).

Once upon a time the biggest downside to Charlotte vs Asheville was the traffic, but these days it's more a moot point.

Both Charlotte & Greenville jobs will pay you more and have a cheaper cost of living.

A few of the TN &/or other NC cities would probably work too depending on what you're looking for in a city.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 PM

115 posts, read 96,382 times
Default Thanks All

Excellent advice, thank you so much!

Jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City