Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Main City of the Sunbelt(besides LA) & Southeast
Atlanta 66 55.00%
Charlotte 1 0.83%
Dallas 29 24.17%
Houston 38 31.67%
Kansas City 1 0.83%
Miami 12 10.00%
Memphis 2 1.67%
Nashville 3 2.50%
New Orleans 2 1.67%
Phoenix 8 6.67%
St.Louis 1 0.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
On the topic of ports, it's no different with Houston. They are both "dependent" on other cities for survival because being a transportation hub is essential to DFW as a logistic hub and Houston as a port.
I think he meant in general Houston has a more independent and self-sufficient economy than DFW does because of its unique economic driver and its position as a major port city. While all cities are dependent on others to some extent, Houston's economy is different because it follows the price of oil moreso than it does the health of the national economy.

On the other hand, DFW is both more reflective of the national economy as a whole, and it also has a LOT of businesses that support the energy economy in Houston. Financial services firms, law firms, construction firms, and a variety of other sectors take a significant hit in DFW when Houston doesn't do well. The reverse isn't really the case.

Of course there are strengths to DFW's diverse, nationally reflective economy that Houston doesn't have, the largest one being a lot less economic volatility and greater predictability.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I think he meant in general Houston has a more independent and self-sufficient economy than DFW does because of its unique economic driver and its position as a major port city. While all cities are dependent on others to some extent, Houston's economy is different because it follows the price of oil moreso than it does the health of the national economy.

On the other hand, DFW is both more reflective of the national economy as a whole, and it also has a LOT of businesses that support the energy economy in Houston. Financial services firms, law firms, construction firms, and a variety of other sectors take a significant hit in DFW when Houston doesn't do well. The reverse isn't really the case.

Of course there are strengths to DFW's diverse, nationally reflective economy that Houston doesn't have, the largest one being a lot less economic volatility and greater predictability.
The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is home to numerous corporate headquarters. The metropolitan area is home to over 10,000 corporate headquarters making the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex the largest corporate headquarters concentration in the United States.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:01 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is home to numerous corporate headquarters. The metropolitan area is home to over 10,000 corporate headquarters making the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex the largest corporate headquarters concentration in the United States.
You have a source for this as well as for other metropolitan areas? I mean I know DFW is up there, but I'd like to see the stats.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Hey Aries, what makes you think that there's a "South Virginia" starting just north of Charlottesville? I never heard reference to it when I lived in VA? Virginia doesn't live up to the definition of Sunbelt.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with what I said, besides reinforcing the fact that the area is very economically diverse, but OK.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10K headquarters (of all sizes) in the region, though I'd also love to see a source.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:22 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Hey Aries, what makes you think that there's a "South Virginia" starting just north of Charlottesville? I never heard reference to it when I lived in VA? Virginia doesn't live up to the definition of Sunbelt.
Virginia is not really Sunbelt, but South Virginia is definitely part of The American South.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Virginia is not really Sunbelt, but South Virginia is definitely part of The American South.
Sunbelt and south are not interchangeable. A city can be in the South and not be in the Sunbelt like Richmond or Louisville etc. Or a city can not be in the South at all, such as Los Angeles or San Diego etc. and be in the Sunbelt.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:47 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with what I said, besides reinforcing the fact that the area is very economically diverse, but OK.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10K headquarters (of all sizes) in the region, though I'd also love to see a source.
What's the issue if it reinforces your post? I looked for compilations of metro area stats on the subject but I couldn't find it. Regardless DFW is sitting at over 7.3 million and probably will pass Houston in GDP when the next estimates come out. Surely it holds some value of importance being the most populated and fastest growing metro in the south and second in the south in GDP numbers. I personally think arguments between DFW and Houston about which is more prominent are dumb and stupid. It would be hard to convince residence of either that one is more prominent then the other. Comparing the two metros is like comparing apples to oranges.

Arlington | Thursby Software

Old 08-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What's the issue if it reinforces your post? I looked for compilations of metro area stats on the subject but I couldn't find it. Regardless DFW is sitting at over 7.3 million and probably will pass Houston in GDP when the next estimates come out. Surely it holds some value of importance being the most populated and fastest growing metro in the south and second in the south in GDP numbers. I personally think arguments between DFW and Houston about which is more prominent are dumb and stupid. It would be hard to convince residence of either that one is more prominent then the other. Comparing the two metros is like comparing apples to oranges.

Arlington | Thursby Software
Well if you think the argument is dumb and stupid, why did you respond when the other poster commented that he wasn't surprised Houston got more votes?

All I am saying is that Houston has been growing despite the oil bust and that it has a more independent and larger economy than DFW. That's not really an opinion. In the context of this thread, I feel thats one of the factors to consider when you consider what would be the main city of the south/sunbelt - do you not? (On top of the fact that if we were just to compare cities and not metros, I think Houston's advantage would grow.)

You seem to be taking this personally, but I'm just stating facts to support my argument - you know, the purpose of the thread.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You do realize that even by your already erroneous definition, Charlottesville isn't "South Virginia"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City