Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 25,782 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are thinking about moving into the area and can't decide about which city would be better for us. We're considering Roanoke, VA and Johnson City, TN.
In which place is the VA better and in which are not as many snakes(hahaha)?
Plus is it more expensive to live in Virginia or Tennessee? How about weather wise? I mean I know it's just a few hours away from each other but sometimes it makes a giant difference. I really don't like the humidity.
I know these are many questions but I hope somebody can help us figuring it out.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
I dont live there, but i've heard that Tennessee has no state income tax, and also they have started offering free college tuition to residents.

Virginia has personal property / vehicle tax, so it pays to drive an older vehicle in thst state.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
I don't really know Roanoke but here's some info on JC.

Low cost of living - ~$100/sqft home prices average ($110-125/sqft for new construction), no state income tax on earned income, low property taxes, low home and auto insurance rates, high Obamacare rates, groceries do not seem lower than anywhere else. TN sales tax is higher, but VA has a high income tax. Except for low income individuals, you'll pay more tax in VA.

In the summer it is typically hot and humid. Although this summer has been more pleasant than most.

There are snakes and other wildlife that inhabit our wooded areas.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I dont live there, but i've heard that Tennessee has no state income tax, and also they have started offering free college tuition to residents.
Just to clarify, it's for community college. Still a good deal.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I'd prefer to live in Johnson City. I've only been to Roanoke several times so I'm no expert.

Roanoke may be nominally cooler. It isn't going to be a tremendous difference.

The Johnson City VA is pretty well regarded. I don't know if Roanoke even have has one. I can't imagine one place having more snakes/bugs than the other.

VA has higher taxes. TN has no tax on earned income, while VA. VA also requires annual vehicle inspections. I'd imagine just dealing with government day to day is going to be more of a hassle and expensive in VA.

Roanoke is a bigger city, but the Tri-Cities has more people than the Roanoke MSA.

To me, the biggest problem is that Roanoke is very isolated. It's about 2.5 hours back to Bristol, and there's not a whole lot in between. There's honestly not much in the way of decent sized towns all the way up 81 in Virginia. You're still several hours from Richmond, northern VA, etc. Johnson City is about three hours from Charlotte, 1.5 - 2 from Knoxville TN, 1-1.25 hrs from Asheville NC, 2 to Greenville, SC.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
There have been several threads on this issue, although the most recently one involved the question in the context of Retirement, both in the Tennessee and Virginia forums. DaveMtnairy is the forum's expert on comparing the two cities.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/roano...l#post46638136

Old 08-25-2017, 05:09 AM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
There have been several threads on this issue, although the most recently one involved the question in the context of Retirement, both in the Tennessee and Virginia forums. DaveMtnairy is the forum's expert on comparing the two cities.
Correction, it is DaveinMtAiry who I meant, sorry about that.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM

15 posts, read 25,782 times
Thank you very much for your input. This is all very helpful, though I still don't know which to pick. Hahaha
My husband is 100% disabled through military and I hate humidity.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 AM

46 posts, read 76,094 times
WeMeUS

Since you mentioned that your husband is 100% disabled thru the military, I would think that having a really good VA hospital near you would be important, especially as he ages. Checking under ratings and reviews for the VA Hospitals, the VA in JC got a 97% rating out of 100, and that is pretty darn good!! The VA that serves Roanoke, Salem VA, got a rating of 67. I'd sure take the 97% vs the 67 % anytime. Having been married to a 100% disabled vet myself, a really good VA hospital would be # 1 in my considerations. Humidity can be taken care of with central air, or a really good whole -house air conditioner. Best of luck to you !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City