Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Dallas 60 28.44%
Minneapolis 79 37.44%
St. Louis 14 6.64%
Atlanta 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:38 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
What does Atlanta and Dallas offer that Minneapolis doesn't in terms of things to do?
The key word in my statement was "more". I never said that Atlanta or Dallas offered things that Minneapolis didn't. However, I don't have to look farther than the population statistics of all three of the cities to know which ones offers more. Two of the metros are in the 5 mil-10 mil tier and the other is a tier below. I would think that Minneapolis would rival Denver, St. Louis, Tampa, San Diego and Baltimore in that category. Dallas and Atlanta would rival Houston, Philadelphia, D.C., Boston, and Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
There isn't really much that a metro of 6 or 7 million offers that a metro of 3 or 4 million doesn't also have. The smaller metro will also have less congestion and it will be easier to access the things it has. The level of offerings doesn't really go up a tier until you get to the Chicago/Bay Area size and in many ways has as much to do with the age of the city as the size (which is why Boston and Philly are more compelling places than Houston).

Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
There isn't really much that a metro of 6 or 7 million offers that a metro of 3 or 4 million doesn't also have. The smaller metro will also have less congestion and it will be easier to access the things it has. The level of offerings doesn't really go up a tier until you get to the Chicago/Bay Area size and in many ways has as much to do with the age of the city as the size (which is why Boston and Philly are more compelling places than Houston).
That's what I see.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Exactly so, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Gentrification continues to scatter those communities to areas outside the city limits.
Because Atlanta is a suburban city.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I agree about the smaller metro being less congested but Dallas metro is twice the size of Minneapolis and Atlanta has over 2 million people more . Currently, I live in Tampa but also have lived in Houston, Atlanta and a few months in Philly when I was younger. I can tell you for a fact that you're going a feel a difference in offerings when a metro is million's larger than another one. This isn't a knock on either city, it's just a known fact.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Minneapolis is meh. Very insular, locals think it's the best place on Earth. Weather is beyond terrible nearly year round. It has a good local economy though
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's only natural for humans to prefer warm weather over cold weather. The human comfort zone is between 70 and 80 degrees fahrenheit. 95 is a lot closer to that range than 15.

But obviously plenty of people are able to deal with it considering Minneapolis is one of the largest cities in the country.

I'd imagine weather is one of the main reasons Minneapolis hasn't become a place where everyone wants to move to. People who move to Dallas from the Midwest often cite weather as one of the reasons for moving south.
By MSA, Minneapolis is #16. It has the harshest climate of any large MSA, with its cold winter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas
https://weatherspark.com/y/10405/Ave...tes-Year-Round
https://weather.com/sports-recreatio...ca-20140107#/1

Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No, it isn't - not in the core or the old streetcar neighborhoods.

But you already know this, you just can't help yourself from dismissing Atlanta at every possible opportunity.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
In context to what I was saying, that statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it isn't - not in the core or the old streetcar neighborhoods.

But you already know this, you just can't help yourself from dismissing Atlanta at every possible opportunity.
Jeez... calm down. It's a suburban city when it comes to ethnic enclaves just like DC. Alot of minorities have settled outside of the city core.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I agree about the smaller metro being less congested but Dallas metro is twice the size of Minneapolis and Atlanta has over 2 million people more .
That's the thing about the Dallas metro. It's so huge and ridiculously spread out ON TOP of being super congested due to 7 million and counting people living there. There's PLENTY to do in DFW and pretty much any type of event, sport, amenity, ethic spot, etc that you'd expect from a metro of 7 million, but what good is it when you have an hour+ commute home from work and then ANOTHER hour+ commute to get to any of it? WAY too sprawling, on top of having the terrible congestion of a 7 million population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City