Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have natural disasters elsewhere altered your view of the Great Lakes region in a positive way?
Yes, Great Lakes area looks rather stable right now 53 30.29%
No, I would still live somewhere even with the astronomical risks 104 59.43%
Other 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good luck, I was trying to make a similar point. A place like the Caribbean Islands is another story, but it's not like living in New Orleans means you are in frequent catastrophic danger. I found it particularly strange to consider the Northeastern US to be in that circumstance. When boiled down, you realize that every place has its challenges. Daily, cold, windy and/or snowy weather for 4 months of the year likely has a bigger impact on someone than a hurricane every 4 - 5 years. But, like anything, it depends on the circumstances (e.g. whether you live in a flood zone or not).

Regardless, it doesn't invalidate an entire region. You just have to plan accordingly. Kind of like making sure you have all season tires on your vehicle and a generator handy in Rochester.
The good thing about hurricanes is that although they cause a lot of damage, you typically have several days warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That I straight up don't believe about Chicago. Chicago tends to be chilly even in June.
I've spent about 20 weekends in Milwaukee in the past 16 months. This is true. What ever it's like in Milwaukee, just add a few degrees to get Chicago's temps.

I was wearing shorts in Feb this year. There was also a week of hot and humid weather in March. I remember going for a bike ride and sweating buckets.

It can be cold in June, but it's not normal. It can easily get into the humid upper 80s by April.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
"No, I would still live somewhere even with the astronomical risks"

LOL no bias in this poll.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM

192 posts, read 242,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I've spent about 20 weekends in Milwaukee in the past 16 months. This is true. What ever it's like in Milwaukee, just add a few degrees to get Chicago's temps.

I was wearing shorts in Feb this year. There was also a week of hot and humid weather in March. I remember going for a bike ride and sweating buckets.

It can be cold in June, but it's not normal. It can easily get into the humid upper 80s by April.
Same here in Indianapolis...we had a nice week like that in January as well. It's the exception to the rule, but it happens every winter without fail.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
"No, I would still live somewhere even with the astronomical risks"

LOL no bias in this poll.
Coastal bias

Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Have powerful Natural Disasters across the West, South, and Northeast made the Great Lakes more attractive?

As most people that are acquainted with a map know, three of the four regions of the United States all border the ocean. One does not. As many know, the most gruesome natural disasters out there usually come from the ocean (tsunamis, hurricanes, atmospheric rivers, so on) or from plate movement in areas near the ocean which cause devastating earthquakes of epic proportions.

For the purposes of this thread, I've decided to focus solely on the Great Lakes as opposed to the entire Midwest, which also includes the Great Plains, which are swarmed with violent tornadoes. The topic of this thread is only in reference to the Great Lakes region as compared to the hazards of the Northeast/South/West/Great Plains. Please keep that in mind when the discussion unfolds.

Natural Disasters like the Megathrust, Category 5 Hurricane, Atmospheric Rivers, lateral shift earthquakes, Great Wildfires, and the like are cause for concern in vast swaths of the three aforementioned regions. In contrast, the Great Lake's biggest headache is usually just a blizzard or a flood. (Tornadoes of epic proportions typically don't occur in the Great Lakes but rather in the Great Plains - an entirely different section of the "Midwest" than the Great Lakes).

I think it is time to have that debate now. Given the imminent threats that the coastal regions like the Northeast, the West, and the South face and the violent nature of the Great Plains - has it made the the cities and areas along the Great Lakes more appealing to anyone? Have these natural disasters or even the potential for these disasters to occur made anyone write the major cities of the other three regions plus the Great Plains off entirely?
Jeez, man. Simmer down.

This post reminds me of the time I was in New Zealand and all these people in a hotel bar were watching Twister on the television. They just knew, upon watching that, that we Americans were dodging tornados as part of our daily commute. I just couldn't convince them otherwise.

I live in Alabama. In 2011, during the outbreak, an F2 passed within a mile of my home. Later in the day, an F5 passed north of town, and bits of insulation from destroyed homes wound up in my yard. But, during the entirety of my life here, I've yet to see or experience a tornado close up. We've had hurricanes spin up from the Gulf. Again, the really bad ones knock out power for a couple of days. Last time I had a major power outage from a hurricane was Frederick in...1979.

What's more, you seem to think that killer tornados and massive hurricanes are a new development. Before this year, the mainland of the US had not been hit by a major hurricane (F3 or up) since 2005. Twelve years. Tornados are no more prevalent today than they were 100 years ago and a good bit easier to predict.

As far as the West is concerned, they have the occasional earthquake in California. And wildfires are just part of the late summer, just the same as every year.

And yet you expect us to pull up tent stakes and move to Illinois. Which, by all accounts, has a major economic disaster brewing even as we speak. Plus it's freaking cold up there. I had a client in the upper peninsula of Michigan who always perversely held his annual meetings in January. No thanks.

In other words, quit reading news where every weather story is a sign of the onrushing apocalypse. "Astronomical risks"? You've gotta be kidding me.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've been through 7 hurricanes and a couple tropical storms, almost lost everything once, there's another storm in the gulf, and I still wouldn't want to move to Cleveland.
First of all, why do you have to trash Cleveland? There are other cities in the Great Lakes besides Cleveland, you know. But, it's easy being in a city that a lot of people love while people live in a city that almost everybody loves to hate.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
That I straight up don't believe about Chicago. Chicago tends to be chilly even in June.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=2&year=2017

Calling me a liar? I looked at February of 2017....you can see, for yourself. I'll wait for your apology.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM

192 posts, read 242,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=2&year=2017

Calling me a liar? I looked at February of 2017....you can see, for yourself. I'll wait for your apology.
Would you look at that...a week of highs in the mid 60's and 70. IMPOSSIBLE!

It literally happens every winter.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Chicago owns one of the worst heat waves in the US, so I think 70's in February is certainly possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City