Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have natural disasters elsewhere altered your view of the Great Lakes region in a positive way?
Yes, Great Lakes area looks rather stable right now 53 30.29%
No, I would still live somewhere even with the astronomical risks 104 59.43%
Other 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

I don't know how to answer this because I never looked at the Great Lakes region in a negative light (I know well enough that Detroit, Flint, Gary and Toledo do not represent all or most of the region) so really this doesn't change my perspective. I grew up in Miami, FL, hated living there. You get hurricanes there (they have one coming right now) but that had nothing to do with why I didn't like it.

I lived in various towns in Texas, and I love Texas but not to live long term. You get tornadoes there. Did not affect whether or not I enjoyed living there. I actually found them exciting.

I love the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes or inland and the lack of major disasters (except for tornadoes for the inland areas) is more like a perk then a big deciding factor for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
why do people act like Great Lakes = Rust Belt?

I live in the area and to me "Rust Belt" is very specific places with a fairly small % of the great lakes region's population. Areas within the city of Detroit, Flint, Youngstown, areas of the city of Cleveland, some other industrial areas.

Most people living in the great lakes region have nothing to do with rust belt economy and downtrodden living.
When I think of the Great Lakes I think of those "Pure Michigan ads." Basically, northern paradise. Tons of woods, lakeshores, places to hunt, fish, camp, ski, etc. etc. The Rust Belt is just one component.

When people think the GL region is nothing but crumbling rusty towns and abandoned factories, that's the equivalent of thinking the Gulf Coast is nothing more than oil refineries and ignoring the beauty, beaches, culture and food.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
The one in the Gulf of Mexico near the country of Mexico is Tropical Storm Katia, which is expected to become a hurricane by tomorrow. The one in the central frame currently over the Caribbean Islands in the Caribbean Sea is Super Hurricane Irma, a record shattering Category 5. The one behind Irma that is still in the Atlantic Ocean and moving towards the Caribbean Islands is Tropical Storm Jose, which is expected to intensify and strengthen into a hurricane within a few short hours from right now. There is also the forming of yet another Tropical Depression off the coast of Cape Verde (in West Africa), which may or may not develop into a storm as well, too preliminary at the moment to know. Potentially will become Depression 14 and given a name when/if it reaches Tropical Storm status.

This is what the peak of an active hurricane season looks like, there are three concurrently:

Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've been through 7 hurricanes and a couple tropical storms, almost lost everything once, there's another storm in the gulf, and I still wouldn't want to move to Cleveland.
Cleveland's one part of the Great Lakes. You got the rest of northeast Ohio, Michigan, northwest Indiana, northeast Illinois, eastern Wisconsin and northeast Minnesota. Most of which is different from Cleveland. That's like me saying Biloxi or Mobile is all that defines the Gulf Coast. Or shudder.. Beaumont or Port Arthur!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think people forget that there are plenty of hot spots in the Sunbelt in particular that aren't nearly as prone to major weather events (Austin, DFW, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, etc.).

DFW does get a lot of tornadoes, though.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It is a blank screen for the first 15 seconds, then the video starts after that. This is Hurricane Irma right before it reached one of the Caribbean Islands yesterday as a record shattering 185 miles per hour Category 5 hurricane (it still is exactly that strong):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXlO...ature=youtu.be

For pictures of the aftermath, you can find it here:

Hurricane Irma: Pictures show devastation wrought on Caribbean by strongest storm in Atlantic history | The Independent

Stay safe Florida and other areas near or in Irma's path.
That's pretty bad. Check out this video too from Barbuda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5qYrboTUE

Old 09-06-2017, 03:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's pretty bad. Check out this video too from Barbuda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5qYrboTUE
Saw it a few hours ago, it was chilling to the extreme to see those conditions.

It is tragic man. Those poor folks could never even prepare for something like this. It intensified to unseen levels (only Hurricane Allen and Hurricane Wilma have ever come close in the Atlantic Basin and Wilma could only sustain its max power for a little before it fell apart - not the case with Irma at all). It is a record shattering storm, it has been at 185 miles per hour in wind speed with a decreasing milibar portfolio for over 24 hours now. It became a Category 3 hurricane within 16 hours of leaving the African coast, this thing has been an intense and resilient hurricane for so long, it's breaking so many records. If its milibars fall beneath 900, then the U.S. has to brace itself for an extreme catastrophe, regardless of where it hits. It will match Super Typhoon Haiyan and Super Typhoon Tip for all-time records if it intensifies any further. Even if it weakens to Category 4 or a weaker Category 5 when it makes landfall in the U.S., this thing will hurt a lot of people both in regards to casualties and loss of personal livelihoods (no power, no house, no electricity, no food, no water, so on).
Quote:
“This will likely be stronger than anything anyone alive has ever felt in the northern Leeward Islands,” said Jonathan Erdman, a senior forecaster for Weather.com. “It’s unknown what kind of devastation is going to occur, but it will be severe.”

http://weatherplus.blog.mypalmbeachp...orecast-track/
I am Atheist but I will keep these people in the Caribbean Islands in my thoughts regardless, will keep checking up on them to see the status report of where they live. The people that live in these Caribbean Island countries are going to need a lot of help when all this is said and done. I feel for them. They're stuck in the crosshairs of a catastrophic storm.

I was following a live stream of Twitter tweets when this hurricane was entering the Caribbean and the people that live in these islands in the Caribbean, their reactions to it was frightening. Even that is an understatement. There was a 7 hour span where communication with one of the islands was completely nonexistent, it was like they just went into the dark with no notice to speak of.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-06-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
LOL at this thread.

Number of deaths from earthquakes in California in the last 20 years: 3

Number of deaths from shoveling snow from 1990-2006 in the US: more than 1600.

In a study several years ago, for example, researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Ohio found that an average of 11,500 snow-shoveling-related injuries and medical emergencies occur annually in the United States. More than half involve soft-tissue injuries, as well as lacerations, bone fractures and harm from slips and falls. Cardiac-related injuries account for fewer than 10 percent of the total cases, but between 1990 and 2006, they comprised more than half of the hospitalizations and all of the more than 1,600 deaths.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b82650df8bc4

I think I'll take my chances with the quake.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Actually, I'm not going to apologize - you hit 70 like at the most like once or twice. Majority of the month was all over the place: 20s-30s mostly as highs and some 50 degree days by the end of the month. Overnight lows at some point were in the teens lol.
I didn't expect an apology, actually, so no worries, you are easy to predict. Anyway, sorry that it's hard for you to accept that every day, all day long, isn't freezing in Chicago. Winters can actually be quite mild (I know, I lived there). You have exposed your bias, a while back actually, AND, you have also been proved wrong...so lol right back at ya.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That I straight up don't believe about Chicago. Chicago tends to be chilly even in June.

Define "chilly."

Winter in Chicago is "freezing" not "chilly." If you consider anything under 60 as chilly, even Texas gets "chilly" in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City