Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have natural disasters elsewhere altered your view of the Great Lakes region in a positive way?
Yes, Great Lakes area looks rather stable right now 53 30.29%
No, I would still live somewhere even with the astronomical risks 104 59.43%
Other 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:48 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times

Advertisements

Great Lakes and climate change....just a tidbit of research:

How is climate change affecting the Great Lakes? | cleveland.com

https://thinkprogress.org/how-climat...-ad8a2f5e867d/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You seem to take delight, in hopes that things happen to the Great Lakes? Reading between the lines here....Anyway, they are the world's largest source of fresh water, so let's just hope that bad things never befall the Great Lakes. I've lived in the Great Lakes Region for most of my life, and I have to say, I've NEVER experienced anything negative from the lakes, weather-wise, or other. If you're trying to compare this to hurricanes....I would say, really?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...ing/428886001/

This is an article, about how levels are rising.

Last edited by Enean; 09-19-2017 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, Atlanta didn't really feel much noticeable impact from Harvey with Houstonians coming here at all.

On the other hand, we had over 500,000 Floridians here last week!
I know some of the Floridians that fled to Atlanta. Most of them have family in Atlanta. I'd be venture that of the 500,000 that were up there, at least half knew someone up there or had family up there. Most of my family in Florida stayed put even though they themselves have family in Atlanta. Most of my family in SoFla live at least 20mins from the intracoastals, so the hurricanes didn't effect them much or do any damage to their homes besides loss of power.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Chicago has a lot of issues. I'd say there's huge reason why my entire family, born and raised in Chicago, have all left the city, and not all for the suburbs (I have family in the cities of San Diego, Boston, me in NYC, my father haven grown up in Uptown is moving to Iowa, my mother might go to Texas, etc.). There's a lot of uncertainty and I think one thing that could help is getting rid of that democratic machine and Rahm. I personally don't spend a penny in Chicago (and try not to in IL) as I don't wish to fund their corruption anymore.

I digress though, De Blasio annoys me too and it's been 7 and a half years since I've lived there. Still visit my old neighborhoods of Englewood and Uptown as well as where my friends live in Logan Square and Avondale. Cabrini Greene is gone and so are my physical memories of my grandmother. When I drive/walk around it doesn't feel like home to me anymore, so I don't miss it. Personal anecdotes. ymmv
What made you choose NYC? And do you miss the Cabrini Greene? I'm sure you have good memories about Cabrini, even though you can argue it's a testament to Democratic failure, I'm sure if you had fam in Cabrini you received alot of love. It's a legendary place, I would've loved to go and visit Chi-town and take pics before they tore it down. Do you miss the old Chicago the same way native New Yorkers miss the old New York City?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You seem to take delight, in hopes that things happen to the Great Lakes? Reading between the lines here....Anyway, they are the world's largest source of fresh water, so let's just hope that bad things never befall the Great Lakes. I've lived in the Great Lakes Region for most of my life, and I have to say, I've NEVER experienced anything negative from the lakes, weather-wise, or other. If you're trying to compare this to hurricanes....I would say, really?

Great Lakes high water levels: What it means for business and shipping

This is an article, about how levels are rising.
Not at all, see title of the thread taking delight in other regions natural disaster as a catalyst for Great Lakes growth. I practically grew up on the beach in Southeastern NC and never had one problem with hurricanes...relatives still there and the area is booming. Anyone who lives there for any length of time knows that the worst part of any hurricane is a power outage and possible flooding as to why all my relatives have generators. Never experienced flooding, etc...most flood prone areas usually flood anyway.

I've NEVER experienced anything negative growing up in SE NC (NEVER in 18 years prior to leaving for college)....I remember one hurricane...can't remember the name but we flew kites in an otherwise windy and kind of rainy day. Hurricanes bring a lot of wind and rain....not saying it can't happen but most of the Southeast isn't prone to strong hurricanes which are mostly strong wind and rain events by the time they reach those parts.....I do get a kick out watching those Weather Channel folk "holding" on for dear life in the outer banks and nags head....hell, it's always windy there....see Wright Brothers.

When I lived in Indiana was the first time I experienced serious tornado warnings...6 in one day around Indianapolis..I'll take a weak hurricane over that ominous situation any day.

Let's all hope climate change doesn't create more natural disasters anywhere.

Who knows old Maria might redirect this way but it won't be a Cat 3,4, or 5 because its rare for the US to get direct hits from strong hurricanes, a bunch of wind and rain, power outages.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not at all, see title of the thread taking delight in other regions natural disaster as a catalyst for Great Lakes growth. I practically grew up on the beach in Southeastern NC and never had one problem with hurricanes...relatives still there and the area is booming. Anyone who lives there for any length of time knows that the worst part of any hurricane is a power outage and possible flooding as to why all my relatives have generators. Never experienced flooding, etc...most flood prone areas usually flood anyway.

I've NEVER experienced anything negative growing up in SE NC (NEVER in 18 years prior to leaving for college)....I remember one hurricane...can't remember the name but we flew kites in an otherwise windy and kind of rainy day. Hurricanes bring a lot of wind and rain....not saying it can't happen but most of the Southeast isn't prone to strong hurricanes which are mostly strong wind and rain events by the time they reach those parts.....I do get a kick out watching those Weather Channel folk "holding" on for dear life in the outer banks and nags head....hell, it's always windy there....see Wright Brothers.

When I lived in Indiana was the first time I experienced serious tornado warnings...6 in one day around Indianapolis..I'll take a weak hurricane over that ominous situation any day.

Let's all hope climate change doesn't create more natural disasters anywhere.

Who knows old Maria might redirect this way but it won't be a Cat 3,4, or 5 because its rare for the US to get direct hits from strong hurricanes, a bunch of wind and rain, power outages.
Apparently you have a issue with the OP? To insinuate the underlined and claim..... he takes delight in these other regions disasters lately? Absolutely NOT in his intent. Nothing in the OP's first post remotely shows taking delight in others regions or its residents for them calamities.

The OP basically ask this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Have powerful Natural Disasters across the West, South, and Northeast made the Great Lakes more attractive?

Given the imminent threats that the coastal regions like the Northeast, the West, and the South face and the violent nature of the Great Plains - has it made the cities and areas along the Great Lakes more appealing to anyone? Have these natural disasters or even the potential for these disasters to occur made anyone write the major cities of the other three regions plus the Great Plains off entirely?
For you .... the answer should merely be a Big A NO. Never will it or would it be more attractive to you.... this Great Lakes region.

I always think? If someone is happy with their new region they lived for a period? Then surely BOAST on its behalf if needed.... but if they seem to need to continually lessen their former region and a record (in thread post) of demeaning cities in that region? They either have some baggage they can't let go of? Or for some..... a history (for Political reasons)? They apparently need to continually knock that region and its cities it seems.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Well, as a resident of Gary, Indiana at the very southern tip of Lake Michigan....I honestly do feel lucky to live here. Not at all alone. My neighbor who WAS thinking of retiring to Florida has just this informed me she is staying put.

And just last night at a very iconic local dive I heard a lady say, " I'll take my little corner of the Midwest over blah blah blah".

The Sunbelt boomed off of migration. Thesestorms are making many many Great Lakes folks to reconsider such a move. How long that lasts is another question.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:46 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Tornadoes are no big deal. Many people live their entire lives in this part of the country without ever laying eyes on one. In my 35+ years here, I've never seen one.
Really? Tell that to a guy who has witnessed zero large tornadoes and say that. I went through Hurricane Sandy, sure you Middle America folks would have enjoyed that!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Really? Tell that to a guy who has witnessed zero large tornadoes and say that. I went through Hurricane Sandy, sure you Middle America folks would have enjoyed that!
I've never experienced a tornado, I'm a Baby Boomer, and I've lived in the Midwest my entire life. So, not everyone experiences tornadoes. There are other parts of the country (not just the Midwest) that experience tornadoes. Other Midwest states experience them far more often than the Great Lakes states do. Oklahoma has had a lot of tornadoes, and it isn't even a part of the Midwest.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Apparently you have a issue with the OP? To insinuate the underlined and claim..... he takes delight in these other regions disasters lately? Absolutely NOT in his intent. Nothing in the OP's first post remotely shows taking delight in others regions or its residents for them calamities.

The OP basically ask this:

For you .... the answer should merely be a Big A NO. Never will it or would it be more attractive to you.... this Great Lakes region.

I always think? If someone is happy with their new region they lived for a period? Then surely BOAST on its behalf if needed.... but if they seem to need to continually lessen their former region and a record (in thread post) of demeaning cities in that region? They either have some baggage they can't let go of? Or for some..... a history (for Political reasons)? They apparently need to continually knock that region and its cities it seems.
Never disparaged the Great Lakes but a lot of people from the Midwest locate here (NC) for a warmer climate and it's relatively affordable. Not because the Great Lakes area isn't a beautiful part of the US, but the answer to the poll question is NO. The poll question is nonsensical and ignorant because these regions aren't experiencing natural disasters at an alarming frequency.

What is interesting though is that the stereotypical south is all backwoods and sprawl to people unfamiliar with a lot of the southeast.....relax, every region gets it's own share of stereotypical grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City