Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Denver
Atlanta 67 42.68%
Denver 90 57.32%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times

Advertisements

Atlanta vs Denver which city has the best climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM

529 posts, read 1,546,929 times
Best? Well It depends on what you prefer.

Atlanta has a hot and humid climate.

Denver is a dry and milder climate.

Both cities are sunny, but Denver has 4 seasons and Atlanta has 2.

If you like no humidity and sunny weather with 80 degree summers, and brief snow and lower temps in the winter then choose Denver.

If you prefer a more humid climate with very little winter weather and hotter temperatures in summer with humidity and sunshine then choose Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM

I voted Atlanta because I prefer a warmer climate. Denver is too dry for my taste and not very conductive to my skin. I do think both regions have some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation.

Atlanta has all four seasons but not as pronounced as Northern cities.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Atlanta would be brutal for me, I prefer Denver's climate by quite a bit. Lots of people like hot & humid, though, so this will probably end up pretty close.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
I suppose it's relative, but saying Atlanta has "very little" winter weather is rather misleading, in my opinion. It's plenty chilly from November to March, with more than just a few days that are downright cold.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Atlanta gets pretty cold due to its inland and elevated location. The leave changes around there are fairly pronounced. It's similar to say, Coastal areas of Virginia farther north. Atlanta has a mild 4 season climate. Atlanta is not like gulf coast cities, southeast atlantic coastal or north Florida weather. These places are like 10-12 degree difference in winter temps, where somewhere like Hampton Roads or Richmond are only about 4-5 degrees difference on average despite being over twice as north as the other places are south. Cold snaps reach Atlanta pretty often and go into the teens and 20s. I went there around New Years once and it was 15 degrees at night with pretty strong wind, it was cold and I was definitely unprepared for it b/c most people including myself don't think of Atlanta as getting that cold, but it does.

Just an example, Tallahassee dec/jan high is average 65/63.5 while Atlanta is 54/52. Norfolk Virginia is 52/48. Tallahassee is only 270 miles away but a 11-12 difference in winter temps. Norfolk is 570 miles away and only 2-4 degree difference. The north and northeast burbs are often colder than the temps at Hartsfield airport also b/c of elevation change going on around there.

Even going further to maybe a city people know more about, DC average low in January winter is 29, Atlanta is 34. Houston is 43, New Orleans is 45... Hence a winter in Atlanta is quite a bit more similar to a Northern virginia winter than it is to it's other southern peers.

This is why people say if you are moving south to avoid winters go somewhere more south like Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc. Even though it isn't that much farther south on a map, winter will be quite a bit warmer.

Last edited by grapico; 08-26-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta gets pretty cold due to its inland and elevated location. The leave changes around there are fairly pronounced. It's similar to say, Coastal areas of Virginia farther north. Atlanta has a mild 4 season climate. Atlanta is not like gulf coast cities, southeast atlantic coastal or north Florida weather. These places are like 10-12 degree difference in winter temps, where somewhere like Hampton Roads or Richmond are only about 4-5 degrees difference on average despite being over twice as north as the other places are south. Cold snaps reach Atlanta pretty often and go into the teens and 20s.
Exactly!

People who don't have experience with the region thinks that Atlanta is on par with Florida weather, which is far from the truth. In Florida you can get by without a coat. In Atlanta you will be SOL without a coat because their are many cold days on average in the region. Atlanta winters are cooler than the PNW on average.

It would be interesting to see some stats comparing Atlanta vs Denver weather with humidity included.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 08-26-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Exactly!

People who don't have experience with the region thinks that Atlanta is on par with Florida weather, which is far from the true. In Florida you can get by without a coat. In Atlanta you will be SOL without a coat because their are many cold days on average in the region. Atlanta winters are cooler than the PNW on average.

It would be interesting to see some stats comparing Atlanta vs Denver weather with humidity included.
North Florida has its days where you will want a coat.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
For sure, but as I said it's still 11-12 degrees warmer on average, vs 4-5 different than places in Virginia. Orlando even more drastic, 72 jan highs with Atlanta 52 jan highs.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes North Florida is the exception but most of the state you can get by without a coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City