Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
You’re spot on with this post, you can’t turn on the TV without hearing “Washington” in World news whether that’s good or bad LOL.
This would be more of a reason as to why its not world class.

About 100% of the time, we hear "Washington" in the context of developments in government.

Imagine asking a Parisian or Londoner what makes those cities world class.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to start out with government stuff, in fact they probably wouldn't even mention it at all.

This is the usually the ONLY thing that comes up when asked why D.C. is world class.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:49 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This would be more of a reason as to why its not world class.

About 100% of the time, we hear "Washington" in the context of developments in government.

Imagine asking a Parisian or Londoner what makes those cities world class.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to start out with government stuff, in fact they probably wouldn't even mention it at all.

This is the usually the ONLY thing that comes up when asked why D.C. is world class.
No disrespect but only on City Data is San Francisco considered more world class than D.C.....

Old 06-30-2019, 10:11 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
That's quite a leap you're taking QC. The worldwide tech leader will get a lot of respect. It also happens to be a big tourist destination and center for other business.

DC beats it depending on the criteria of course.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
No disrespect but only on City Data is San Francisco considered more world class than D.C.....
Haha how sophomoric. No disrepect but the opposite is actually the case. As far as being a world class destination city, DC isnt even in the same conversation as San Francisco IRL.

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...s-in-the-world

Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Remove everything government related from DC, it has literally nothing. Remove tech from San Fran/Bay Area, it's still a world class city. Saying DC, as a whole city, is more world class than SF is hilarious to me. CNN and Fox talk about Washington because that's where the White House is, not because that's a place known for arts, food, entertainment, nightlife, etc. Again if the capitol was anywhere else, DC would be another Norfolk, VA.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:14 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Give me DC any day. SF is certainly world class in homelessness and a filthy down town. The only major US city that I hope never to return to.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:43 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Give me DC any day. SF is certainly world class in homelessness and a filthy down town. The only major US city that I hope never to return to.
Well, DC has a lot of quality of life issues in certain parts of the city, but it's kept away from the parts most visitors would be in. So yea, a visitor going to both could find SF to be pretty wretched whereas DC would probably come off as somewhat austere.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:36 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Remove everything government related from DC, it has literally nothing. Remove tech from San Fran/Bay Area, it's still a world class city. Saying DC, as a whole city, is more world class than SF is hilarious to me. CNN and Fox talk about Washington because that's where the White House is, not because that's a place known for arts, food, entertainment, nightlife, etc. Again if the capitol was anywhere else, DC would be another Norfolk, VA.
Lets not get ahead of ourself now... These what if's are just grasping for straws... certain cities have monopolized an industry and if that has helped put them on the same platform as more "diverse" cities than so be it.

You think if you took Sillcon Valley away from San Fransisco it would still be a world class city? The Domino effect does exist you know. Sure I'll give it the physical geography/scenery advantage and it's primary industry is less "in your face" but to even imply San Fransisco would be anything similar to what it is today without the tech industry happening to be on its doorstep is comical. Washington DC is the seat of the American government, and by that merit alone it will always be on a worldwide level platform and undermine the other aspects of the city (which there are a lot).

They are both absurdly expensive cities, that are in a boom atm due to their respective monopolized industries and that's that.

Last edited by Joakim3; 07-01-2019 at 02:54 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 AM

209 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
That’s bs. I’m not arguing for or against DC or SF being more world class, but aside from government, we have a top notch culinary and arts scene, good music, walkability and good public transit for an American city. Our bars stay open later. If you took tech away from sf, you likely wouldn’t have the massive influx of wealth that came with it, thus transforming that city into what it is today.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:50 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
top notch culinary and arts scene, good music
No, you really don't. And obviously you're totally objective in your assessments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City