Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 PM

242 posts, read 174,158 times

Advertisements

If I had to choose it would be D.C because of the White House and it being the Capital of America...

But if we're comparing city to city than San Francisco is often said to be a mini version of Manhattan and deservingly so...This is the best San Francisco has ever been in history and it's only growing by the second.

Also has the highest real estate in the country over the big monsters = L.A & N.Y

Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Dc

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
DC literally is only known for the White House/Pentagon/Government. As a city outside of that, trying to say it's more world class than SF is hilarious.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
If I had to choose it would be D.C because of the White House and it being the Capital of America...

But if we're comparing city to city than San Francisco is often said to be a mini version of Manhattan and deservingly so...
Not a single fact to support this, and just to illustrate how ridiculous a statement it is-

Manhattan borough is half the size of San Francisco city-yet it's a "mini Manhattan".....makes sense to me.

In that 22 square miles there are many landmarks and institutions that people all over the world would likely be able to name several of. In the case of San Francisco, it usually boils down to a bridge, a pier, and few neighborhoods that John Q Citizen would even be aware of.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Washington DC probably has its name in the World news more than any other. Everyone has an opinion, no ones mind will be changed by what’s written here. I don’t care which one is more World Class, I don’t live in either. I’m actually starting to despise the words “World Class”.

I haven’t been to SF as often but obviously SV is hugely important to the World, maybe someone can point out what other things make it important.

Obvious DC things that contribute to its “World Classiness”

The Capital of the USA
The White House
The National Mall
The Smithsonian Museums
The World Bank
FBI
CIA
NSA
National Monuments
Embassies from Every Country
Defense HQ Pentagon (VA)
Supreme Court
Library of Congress
Arlington Cemetery (VA)
Association HQ’s

There’s probably more. I think it’s sophomoric to say DC is not important compared to San Francisco.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
DC literally is only known for the White House/Pentagon/Government. As a city outside of that, trying to say it's more world class than SF is hilarious.

San Francisco is only known for a bridge. Maybe. I’m not even sure the average American east of the Mississipi could tell you where in California that bridge is.

I don’t think it’s hilarious to be ignorant of a place you’re not familiar with. If you think a government building in Virginia and the White House is all DC has to offer, you know nothing of the city.

DC is way more than government buildings. 800,000 people live there. You think we just go to the Supreme Court and the World Bank all day?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
San Francisco is only known for a bridge. Maybe. I’m not even sure the average American east of the Mississipi could tell you where in California that bridge is.

I don’t think it’s hilarious to be ignorant of a place you’re not familiar with. If you think a government building in Virginia and the White House is all DC has to offer, you know nothing of the city.

DC is way more than government buildings. 800,000 people live there. You think we just go to the Supreme Court and the World Bank all day?
You say SF is "only known for a bridge", yet say I'm ignorant for only knowing of DC as "the White House".

Which I know DC has much more than that, but even so, it's literally only known or cared about because it's the capitol. It has grown drastically as a city, but it isn't the new Chicago, SF, LA, or NYC in terms of being "world class". SF has silicon valley, Alcatraz, Fisherman's wharf, the 49ers and Giants (not even mentioning the Athletics and Golden State Warriors), has a fairly dynamic downtown, is known for its historic streetcars, is known for having a history of the California gold rush, and tons more. This is not even mentioning the obvious fact that it's the second largest and most prominent city in the already internationally prominent state of California. Again, DC has plenty of different tourist attractions, but virtually every single one of them is just "government" related.

I'd rank DC below SF, as a city, in terms of world classness, but I would say both could be considered world class, or at least really near to it.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-13-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
I've lived in both. Both are world class in my book. Both are famous for different reasons both within the US and around the world. Let's not make SF vs DC a pissing match since both are great cities its not like some silly homer from a lesser city is saying their city is more world class then either of these.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've lived in both. Both are world class in my book. Both are famous for different reasons both within the US and around the world. Let's not make SF vs DC a pissing match since both are great cities its not like some silly homer from a lesser city is saying their city is more world class then either of these.
Yeah this is my take as well. They are both world class for different reasons.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Doesn't Silicon Valley belong moreso to San Jose? Anyway, both San Francisco and Washington DC have constricting height restrictions that keep almost no housing from getting built to sustain a growing population. Both cities will eventually experience very slow growth if any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City