Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:24 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
I dont know much about Cuban immigration to Kentucky. But as for PRs, after the hurricane migration patterns may shift from Florida back to the Northeast (which is far less likely to get hurricanes compared to the coastal South, and when we do its no where near as damaging). Migration will likely shift back north to Pennsylvania, NJ, Virginia, Ohio, & Connecticut, even cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, & Rochester will get some, but not Kentucky. I dont see PRs coming to Kentucky tho, no large pre-existing PR populations, average economy, cold weather, being that theres other places with similar conditions (cold weather, ok economy) with far larger PR populations.

With Cubans its different cuz there is no noticable Cuban communities anywhere outside of Florida (Miami/Tampa), so they either stick to Florida or take the chance of being a tiny minority in one of the other 49 states, while Ricans got plenty of options if they wana be around theyre own in large numbers Cubans dont.
There is a sizeable Cuban community in NJ, mostly in Hudson County. I believe Ricans will migrate to New York, Pennsylvania, Atlanta, Texas, (and of course Florida), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I dont know much about Cuban immigration to Kentucky. But as for PRs, after the hurricane migration patterns may shift from Florida back to the Northeast (which is far less likely to get hurricanes compared to the coastal South, and when we do its no where near as damaging). Migration will likely shift back north to Pennsylvania, NJ, Virginia, Ohio, & Connecticut, even cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, & Rochester will get some, but not Kentucky. I dont see PRs coming to Kentucky tho, no large pre-existing PR populations, average economy, cold weather, being that theres other places with similar conditions (cold weather, ok economy) with far larger PR populations.

With Cubans its different cuz there is no noticable Cuban communities anywhere outside of Florida (Miami/Tampa), so they either stick to Florida or take the chance of being a tiny minority in one of the other 49 states, while Ricans got plenty of options if they wana be around theyre own in large numbers Cubans dont.
While there are differences between Latino cultures of course, I think theres a pan-Latino identity that exists which would prevent a Cuban from feeling out of place in any area with a lot of Hispanics.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Interesting. I also want to know how Puerto Rican migrant patterns will change in the US, now that many more PRs will be coming to the mainland after the horrible damage the hurricane has done to the island of Puerto Rico.
They will continue the exact same pattern shift that we've seen for the past decade, and that is into Orlando/Kissimmee. Do you really think hurricanes are such a big deal here that the majority will skip over the most sizeable destination for Puerto Rican migration in the US?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:39 PM

368 posts, read 453,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
They will continue the exact same pattern shift that we've seen for the past decade, and that is into Orlando/Kissimmee. Do you really think hurricanes are such a big deal here that the majority will skip over the most sizeable destination for Puerto Rican migration in the US?
You are highly overexaggerating the popularity of Orlando among Puerto Ricans. It was slightly more popular than cities like Philly & NYC in the early 2000s. But I can bet big money thats no longer true, especially after this hurricane. Orlando is not the mecca for Ricans no more, Philly is.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:50 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
You are highly overexaggerating the popularity of Orlando among Puerto Ricans. It was slightly more popular than cities like Philly & NYC in the early 2000s. But I can bet big money thats no longer true, especially after this hurricane. Orlando is not the mecca for Ricans no more, Philly is.
In sheer numbers for the metro area NYC is of course undisputed king, but Orlando then comes in second above much larger Philly. You simply cannot overstate the effect on your area when a whopping 13 % of a metro is Puerto Rician. I think Philly MSA is about 4% and NY somewhere around that number. I'm not exaggerating anything, but maybe you're trying, on every thread possible, to discredit for some weird reason, the prominence of Orlando for puerto rician migration. Let's not even talk about Florida overall. BTW, you've yet to explain logically why a hurricane in PR would stop the trend of migration to inland Florida???

Old 12-05-2017, 09:55 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
No.

Foreign-Born Cuban Population in 2015: Greater Louisville CSA versus Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA:

Foreign-Born Cuban Population in 2016: Greater Louisville CSA versus Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA:
Good ole data is always hard to argue against.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I honestly think just all of PA is seeing growth of Puerto Ricans in not just Philadelphia, or smaller cities like Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York, but it seems like they're spreading out to Western PA as well to places like Erie, New Castle, and hopefully Pittsburgh can finally get a significant Latino population headed by PRs. Pittsburgh needs some form of population growth since it's faced decline since the 1950s, and even worse decline when the steel mills started to close one by one during the 1970s and 1980s.

The fact that Philadelphia is a mecca for Puerto Rican migration can be believable since it seems like when it comes to the Northeast, Philadelphia is the largest city currently receiving PR migration, and the second largest PR population behind NYC, while PA just officially passed NJ for having the third largest PR population, behind NY and FL. However, many more are moving to FL since it's the closest state nearby the Caribbean.

KY was a surprise because there's really no major city, and I know Louisville is a big city, but I mean major city in the fact that it doesn't have any major sports teams, a major company other than KFC/Yum Foods, a transportation system, etc. It's really known for the KY Derby, which is the major event in the state of KY and also a staging ground for protests since the state of KY isn't really known for much other than bluegrass and bourbon.

However I can see Puerto Ricans moving to cities like Detroit, St Louis, and as far as TX and eventually becoming the largest Latino group in both of those cities, since Mexican immigration has been recently compromised of illegal aliens from Mexico, and with Trump in office, I don't see most Mexican illegal aliens staying in those cities for long and eventually many will have no choice but to head back to Mexico due to a hostile immigration climate, a conservative slant in today's politics, and improving economic conditions in Mexico. Illegal alien Mexicans are going to leave from MI and MO all the way to NY and New England and much of the South. However Chicago continues to lose PRs to other states and it's going to stay that way since Mexicans are now the dominant group in Chicago and IL and PRs have been gentrified out of Humboldt Park and it's possible that smaller cities like Newark NJ, Allentown PA, Springfield CT and Hartford CT could even surpass mighty Chicago in Puerto Rican population in the future!

Cubans seem like they'll be the largest Latino group in Southern states with the addition of Florida such as Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi with a significant presence in New Orleans, and Houston. Cubans will also migrate to NY, CT, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, and VA, as well as the cities of Detroit and St Louis. The Cubans will have a major presence in TX, but they will never become the largest Latino group in TX, and sharing the border with Mexico as well as Tejanos and Chicanos being in Texas for generations will ensure Mexicans will be the dominant ethnic group as long as Texas exists.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
In sheer numbers for the metro area NYC is of course undisputed king, but Orlando then comes in second above much larger Philly. You simply cannot overstate the effect on your area when a whopping 13 % of a metro is Puerto Rician. I think Philly MSA is about 4% and NY somewhere around that number. I'm not exaggerating anything, but maybe you're trying, on every thread possible, to discredit for some weird reason, the prominence of Orlando for puerto rician migration. Let's not even talk about Florida overall. BTW, you've yet to explain logically why a hurricane in PR would stop the trend of migration to inland Florida???
Not only is it a solid 13% of the entire metro, places like Kissimmee and East Orlando are roughly 50% Puerto Rican (Kissimmee may be higher now.)

Takes for one to live here to see it. There were a lot back then, and there are tons more now.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
As a percentage, Louisville is very fast growing for Cubans. Lots of illegal (uncounted ones) too. There are very visible Cuban strips of retail, and one neighborhood is Cuban enough that it isn't Little Havana, but it definitely doesn't feel like Louisville, KY.
There are practically no illegal Cuban immigrants in the United States. A: it’s nearly impossible to get out of Cuba. B) Open till 2017 every Cuban to set foot on US soil was given automatic asylum.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are practically no illegal Cuban immigrants in the United States. A: it’s nearly impossible to get out of Cuba. B) Open till 2017 every Cuban to set foot on US soil was given automatic asylum.
Not true at all. I work with Cuban refugees here in Louisville and many are here illegally in the last 2 years.

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifest...-and-evolving/

Louisville is estimated at the 6th largest Cuban community in the USA now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City