Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:57 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Q for the OP: Are u seeing a decline in commuting btwn DC and Baltimore? Just wondering cause I havent checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep. So for example, why is LA and Phoenix full of "so many" midwesterners (Chicago has a number of people from LA but I think it exports more to LA than imports). My guess is a lot of people in the midwest get fed up with the weather and move to somewhere more temperate/hot. Why so many west coasters in Dallas?
Most of the people that drove the growth of California in the 20th century were from the midwest...

Old 09-30-2017, 11:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Outstanding. Very valuable data, thanks for crunching these numbers and sharing. Now, please reduce these data to percentages :P

I am wondering however, when you are counting the regions as "other than the state of residence" are you taking into account multi-state metros? So if someone from downstate Indiana for example moved to Northwest Indiana (in the Chicago metro) would they be counted as "outside the state of residence" if the primary city is in Illinois? In other words, does "state of residence" include all states in the metro?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Q for the OP: Are u seeing a decline in commuting btwn DC and Baltimore? Just wondering cause I havent checked.
I also haven't checked anything more recent than 2013 but up to 2013 the commuter numbers between the District of Columbia (proper) and Baltimore (proper) had almost doubled over the span of just 10 years. Going up from 2,976 to 5,940. The suburban areas between the two city-propers are increasingly becoming a two-direction commute zone but with further emphasis towards the DMV. Anne Arundel and Howard are beginning to skew further and further into the DMV's pull. The Baltimore area generally has just a bit above half the real-estate prices of the DMV area, it has become a popular place for DMV residents to move to over the years. As a cost effective measure.

I'm not positive on more recent commute data after 2013, but up to 2013 their commuter interaction was increasing with one another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I am wondering however, when you are counting the regions as "other than the state of residence" are you taking into account multi-state metros? So if someone from downstate Indiana for example moved to Northwest Indiana (in the Chicago metro) would they be counted as "outside the state of residence" if the primary city is in Illinois? In other words, does "state of residence" include all states in the metro?
Yeah, the migrants are counted when they come from a state outside of a state that the metropolitan region in question is in. For multi-state metropolitan areas, it would comprise of all the states that have areas of that metropolitan region. So their migrant numbers come from states that don't have anything at all to do with that metropolitan region.
Quote:
Yep. So for example, why is LA and Phoenix full of "so many" midwesterners (Chicago has a number of people from LA but I think it exports more to LA than imports). My guess is a lot of people in the midwest get fed up with the weather and move to somewhere more temperate/hot. Why so many west coasters in Dallas?
In my personal view, I see Dallas as the westernmost Southern city, the easternmost Western city, and the southernmost Midwestern city. From what I have experienced, usually the only rare few states that have positive migration with Texas, meaning they get more people from Texas than they lose to Texas, all of those states are West of Texas. Californians and Texans east of the Mississippi River are in smaller numbers, usually the two states spill large migrant numbers into the states of the Intermountain West, the Desert Southwest, and the Pacific Northwest (as well as into each other). In Texas' case, as well as the other states of the Great Plains, just north of their state. Usually the places with large numbers of Californians and Texans east of the big river are places that people from those two states migrate to for a more global business opportunity or some political reasons (i.e. New York and Washington D.C.). Usually outside of that, both states have made a migratory hub out of much of the rest of the Western United States.

A place, for example, like Colorado, which has several resort ski towns where Houstonians and Dallasites own well over 20% of the homes in that market as second homes. It has been like this for decades. Vice versa as well too, depending on where from the West, Texas is usually the first place outside of the census defined West that Westerners migrate to and usually gets the largest numbers of them.

Californians are the same way as well, many of them own second homes in resort towns in other Western states, often in massive numbers. Reno and its surrounding environs, for example, is a huge spot for Northern Californians. Much of the same is true with Southern Californians when it comes to Las Vegas. As well as towns like Sedona and Flagstaff in Arizona.

The migration of people from the Midwest to California, with Los Angeles in particular, was a huge mechanism that drove the growth of Greater Los Angeles throughout the 20th century. There used to be a Historical Route 66 that captured those migration trends and it became a cultural exhibit spanning well over half of the United States, but that was later replaced when the Interstate Highway System was created.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Thanks OP, cant rep ya anymore. I only asked because Innoticed you separated DC and Baltimore.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:01 PM

49 posts, read 42,775 times
Quote:
LA seems to have a ton of people from everywhere. Northeast, Midwest, South. I'm not surprised. I've run into alot of Nyers, Bostonians, Chicagoans on a regular basis.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Yep. So for example, why is LA and Phoenix full of "so many" midwesterners (Chicago has a number of people from LA but I think it exports more to LA than imports). My guess is a lot of people in the midwest get fed up with the weather and move to somewhere more temperate/hot.
Phoenix is to the Western/Midwestern U.S. what Florida is to the Eastern U.S.: Retirement La La Land

Quote:
Why so many west coasters in Dallas?
I'm sure there are many reasons for this, but my guess that the three largest factors would be jobs, cost of living, and the Black migration out of California. Blacks folks are leaving the West Coast cities in droves and ending up it seems mostly in Texas. Dallas (and I'm sure Houston is right behind) being the biggest magnet would get a lot of those folks. It is similar to how the migration of Black folks out of Northeastern cities is benefiting Atlanta, Charlotte, and DC.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:11 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Phoenix is to the Western/Midwestern U.S. what Florida is to the Eastern U.S.: Retirement La La Land

I'm sure there are many reasons for this, but my guess that the three largest factors would be jobs, cost of living, and the Black migration out of California. Blacks folks are leaving the West Coast cities in droves and ending up it seems mostly in Texas. Dallas (and I'm sure Houston is right behind) being the biggest magnet would get a lot of those folks. It is similar to how the migration of Black folks out of Northeastern cities is benefiting Atlanta, Charlotte, and DC.
I think DFW is benefiting more from the job relocation than the Black migration from the West Coast.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I think DFW is benefiting more from the job relocation than the Black migration from the West Coast.
Its definitely a mix of both.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
It definitely has to be a mix of both. You can't argue that since 1990, DFW has had the second fastest growing black population in the nation behind only Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City