Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times

Advertisements

What I’ve noticed about Atlanta is that most of the people that I’ve come across actually live in the metro area but “claim” Atlanta. I’m guessing it’s because the city proper is fairly small, but the metro is fairly vast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
^ To that point, I find a lot of people don't even know the difference between a city and suburbs/MSA in a few areas. I have had a handful of friends who have lived in Dallas for a handful of years literally not know that a city like Plano is not actually the city of Dallas. They all lived in suburbs but thought they were living in Dallas proper, but still knew the name of their suburb. Not that uncommon though as I've found that people outside of the actual urban cities (NYC, Chicago, SF, Philadelphia, etc) sometimes have a hard time understanding this concept.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:21 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,806,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My mom was born in Jersey City and grew up in cities around there like Hoboken, Jersey City, etc. She hadn't been back there until recently since the early 1980s. When I first started working in NYC, I was working in Jersey City for a few months first actually. When I told her where (Newport), she just said "oh, that area is a huge **** hole." She lost touch with it so when I showed her, she was really confused and was surprised at how much it had changed. She would tell me how in the 1950s and 1960s everyone had double and triple locks on their doors in these cities and how her parents (aka my grandparents) got a bunch of jewelry stolen from the house even with all security measures, bars on windows, etc.

How times have changed...
Oh I believe it. I had a friend's dad close up a dry cleaners shop in Jersey City in the early 1990s because he was tired of sweeping up heroine needles every morning when he opened up shop.

Hoboken I don't think was every THAT bad - it was always very white, factory oriented, polluted and pretty dumpy overall. The change drastically started in the 1980s.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
^ To that point, I find a lot of people don't even know the difference between a city and suburbs/MSA in a few areas. I have had a handful of friends who have lived in Dallas for a handful of years literally not know that a city like Plano is not actually the city of Dallas. They all lived in suburbs but thought they were living in Dallas proper, but still knew the name of their suburb. Not that uncommon though as I've found that people outside of the actual urban cities (NYC, Chicago, SF, Philadelphia, etc) sometimes have a hard time understanding this concept.
I actually know someone from Albuquerque that lived in "Unincorporated Albuquerque" But still use the ABQ address. If you look at the map of ABQ city limits, they're not inside the lines, but can still use the address. Strange.
Maybe it's the fact that these cities built up and annexed later on so lines are blurred?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
They don't realize that they're not paying for services from the city of Dallas?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I actually know someone from Albuquerque that lived in "Unincorporated Albuquerque" But still use the ABQ address. If you look at the map of ABQ city limits, they're not inside the lines, but can still use the address. Strange.
Maybe it's the fact that these cities built up and annexed later on so lines are blurred?
Paradise and Winchester, Nevada do this too, for obvious reasons

Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 AM

49 posts, read 42,744 times
I remember DC residents talking down parts of NOVA and Maryland as the sticks.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
They don't realize that they're not paying for services from the city of Dallas?
That their kids don’t attend Dallas public schools and their streets aren’t patrolled by Dallas PD?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That their kids don’t attend Dallas public schools and their streets aren’t patrolled by Dallas PD?
I didn't even think of that! They would have to be quite oblivious.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yep! Well none of them had kids at the time. When I asked them if they could vote for the mayor of Dallas, it finally hit them that they don't actually live in Dallas. One of them lived in Arlington and he actually still thought he could. I told him next election try and go to a Dallas polling station and try voting for actual Dallas city stuff. See what happens. Then it finally hit him that he doesn't live in Dallas, but Arlington which is a completely different (and not that small) city. Just goes to show you though how not different some of the suburbs are from the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City