Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will legalize/fully decriminalize Marijuana first
Atlanta 27 42.19%
Dallas 4 6.25%
Miami 19 29.69%
Other 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Florida will ignore enforcement because tourists.
There. Fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
The Dallas City Council has a "cite-and-release" program to ticket people who have fewer than 4 ounces of pot and who are not alleged to have committed any other crime.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Mississippi will be the first state in the South (including Maryland, WV, and Delaware) to fully legalize cannabis, as we are the only state in the Deep South (and only one in the whole South besides North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware, if you exclude Missouri from being Southern) to have legality for both medical purposes as well as decriminalization.

I can imagine it being met with extreme opposition, and it will take years for it to be fully legalized, but I have hope that, after the state flag is changed, the conservative tide that is overpowering the state's legislature would end as new businesses and the employed people they bring begin to appreciate Mississippi for what it is.

Before that, easily before the full state legalization gets passed, I think that with Jackson having its current mayor proclaim that he wants "to make Jackson the most radical city on planet Earth", he may just end up getting pot legalized for Jackson only (in contradiction with state and federal laws) if he doesn't get himself ousted after the first term as mayor.
It's legal in Louisiana for medicinal purposes as well as decriminalized in New Orleans. But yeah good luck with Mississippi.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Agreed, this is a State issue. Liberal States tend to legalize first. New Mexico?

Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Agreed, this is a State issue. Liberal States tend to legalize first. New Mexico?
Southern city or state though.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:17 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Mississippi will be the first state in the South (including Maryland, WV, and Delaware) to fully legalize cannabis, as we are the only state in the Deep South (and only one in the whole South besides North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware, if you exclude Missouri from being Southern) to have legality for both medical purposes as well as decriminalization.

I can imagine it being met with extreme opposition, and it will take years for it to be fully legalized, but I have hope that, after the state flag is changed, the conservative tide that is overpowering the state's legislature would end as new businesses and the employed people they bring begin to appreciate Mississippi for what it is.

Before that, easily before the full state legalization gets passed, I think that with Jackson having its current mayor proclaim that he wants "to make Jackson the most radical city on planet Earth", he may just end up getting pot legalized for Jackson only (in contradiction with state and federal laws) if he doesn't get himself ousted after the first term as mayor.
You've got some pretty high hopes for Mississippi but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Since when is New Mexico in the South?

Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I know everyone says Florida, but it's not as easy as everyone thinks. While Miami is liberal (and to a lesser extent Orlando) the rest of Florida isn't. Unlike Georgia, that is more a problem for legalization there because there are multiple cities in the State that drive it's economy. In Georgia it is basically just Atlanta, and Atlanta eventually gets what it wants.

Medicinal is already legal for some diseases in this State, and the debate in General Assembly the last few years is how could the MJ laws continue to be so onerous. It just doesn't make sense. This isn't happening tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 10 or 20 years to happen.

At least the largest police force in the State and one of the largest in the country will no longer be sending people to jail over it. It's a huge victory for freedom.
I'm sorry but Florida is way ahead of GA on this one. And despite your interesting analysis of our state's political climate (We're super purple), many of our cities decriminalized years ago before Atlanta even thought about it.

Our state constitutional amendment recieved 58% of the vote when it FAILED in 2014 lol, and over 70% to eventually pass in 2016. This makes it one of the most supported marijuana initiatives in our country and now grants a right to access.

Also worth noting that to recieve 70% of the vote when turnout along party lines was basically 50/50, that we treated this as one of the few truly bipartisan issues this past, very devisive Presidential election.

I think your optimism for this issue is great. I'm certainly glad Atlanta is going this way because as ATL goes, eventually so does GA. However FL has been working very hard on this state wide for years now and I'm not sure partyline is as important as your post suggests.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 10-04-2017 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Adding pictures

Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Yeah this is more of a state ting. For that I'd say either Florida or Virginia will be the first to fully legalize it.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Fwiw, Florida has already legalized medical marijuana, passed last year and went into effect at the beginning of 2017. However the state's DOH is still determining the exact laws and rules.
I was gonna come in here and say the samething. There are already dispensaries and facilities being built in Miami and Lake Worth Fl.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm sorry but Florida is way ahead of GA on this one. And despite your interesting analysis of our state's political climate (We're super purple), many of our cities decriminalized years ago before Atlanta even thought about it.

Our state constitutional amendment recieved 58% of the vote when it FAILED in 2014 lol, and over 70% to eventually pass in 2016. This makes it one of the most supported marijuana initiatives in our country and now grants a right to access.

Also worth noting that to recieve 70% of the vote when turnout along party lines was basically 50/50, that we treated this as one of the few truly bipartisan issues this past, very devisive Presidential election.

I think your optimism for this issue is great. I'm certainly glad Atlanta is going this way because as ATL goes, eventually so does GA. However FL has been working very hard on this state wide for years now and I'm not sure partyline is as important as your post suggests.

Yeah, I was thinking the samething. There are facilities and dispensaries being built in Miami and Lake Worth FL. There's a facility in Gainesville already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City