Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM

538 posts, read 660,188 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen this comparison done in awhile. These cities are similar to me in that they have managed to avoid the rust belt downtown like many other areas in the Great Lakes region, and both are generally considered white collar metro areas in very scenic parts of the country.

The criteria:
Food
COL
Transit
Economy
Airports
Downtowns
Shopping
Education
Suburbs
Diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Don't know a whole lot about Grand Rapids but here we go
Food: Pizza is lackluster in Rochester but you must try a Garbage Plate
COL: Rochester I would assume is cheaper
Transit: Within the City of ROC its fine, but even the inner suburbs, forget it.
Location: Grand Rapids is between Detriot and Chicago, but Rochester is not far from places like Letchworth St. Park and Chimney Bluffs, so it depends if you want to travel to explore or escape cities.
Scenery: Rochester, between High Falls, Lower Falls, and Lake Ontario I would say it trumps GR
Economy: Probably Grand Rapids
Airports; IDK
Downtowns: Rochester's is okay, your usual stadium, theatre, restaurants some shops, etc, the Strong Museum is pretty unique though.
Shopping: IDK
Education: K-12 Rochester City schools are pretty bad, suburbs are much better, but I would bet its a wash, College: UofR and RIT are better than anything GR have
Suburbs: Rochester has some nice canal towns
Diversity: Rochester
Also Rochester has probably the best public market for a city its size.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM

93,559 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Don't know a whole lot about Grand Rapids but here we go
Food: Pizza is lackluster in Rochester but you must try a Garbage Plate
COL: Rochester I would assume is cheaper
Transit: Within the City of ROC its fine, but even the inner suburbs, forget it.
Location: Grand Rapids is between Detriot and Chicago, but Rochester is not far from places like Letchworth St. Park and Chimney Bluffs, so it depends if you want to travel to explore or escape cities.
Scenery: Rochester, between High Falls, Lower Falls, and Lake Ontario I would say it trumps GR
Economy: Probably Grand Rapids
Airports; IDK
Downtowns: Rochester's is okay, your usual stadium, theatre, restaurants some shops, etc, the Strong Museum is pretty unique though.
Shopping: IDK
Education: K-12 Rochester City schools are pretty bad, suburbs are much better, but I would bet its a wash, College: UofR and RIT are better than anything GR have
Suburbs: Rochester has some nice canal towns
Diversity: Rochester
Also Rochester has probably the best public market for a city its size.
Pizza might be one of the better things in Rochester, but it is likely a matter of where you go to get it.

Rochester's suburbs has multiple suburban schools that are highly regarded on a national level(Pittsford and Brighton, among others).

Location is interesting due to Rochester having 2 other metros nearby(Buffalo and Syracuse) and is about the same distance to Toronto as GR is to Chicago or Detroit. I'd give it to GR in terms of access to major areas and perhaps to Rochester for outdoor/natural amenities.

I believe that GR has a lower COL, but both aren't high in that regard. I'd give GR the economy category as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-28-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,079,720 times
Food: Don't know enough about Rochester, I would imagine them to be fairly equal. Grand Rapids growth has attracted an emerging foodie scene that's still maturing. Similar to what is being seen throughout the country.

COL: Unsure

Transit: Rochester (based on ridership statistics)

Scenery: Tie? Lk Ontario shores and hills, vs Lk Michigan shore and hills

Economy: Grand Rapids

Airports: Grand Rapids based on passenger numbers, about equal in terms of destinations.

Downtowns: I would guess Rochester based on it being much larger at one time. Depends on how strong the core has stayed since the city started losing population. Downtown Grand Rapids stayed relatively in tact during the 70's and 80's so is fairly dense. Currently there are a couple thousand apartment units being built in downtown GR, among other things. I don't know the situation in Rochester.

Shopping: Rochester, or possibly a tie. They are similar market sizes, but some of the more trendy brands are just starting enter the GR area. They avoided Michigan during the 2000's because of it's recession, GR is catching up pretty quick though.

Education: Grand Rapids has a higher educational attainment. Rochester has more renown institutions.

Suburbs:Tie?

Diversity: Rochester is more diverse in the city limits, however the metro areas are about even. Metro Rochester is more AA, GR is more Hispanic.

Here's a side by side comparison from the CB website.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...663000,2634000

ckhthankgod you know these two areas from a comparison standpoint better than others on here what do you think?

Last edited by mjlo; 04-28-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Food: Don't know enough about Rochester, I would imagine them to be fairly equal. Grand Rapids growth has attracted an emerging foodie scene. Similar to what is being seen throughout the country.

COL: Unsure

Transit: Rochester (based on ridership statistics)

Scenery: Tie? Lk Ontario shores and hills, vs Lk Michigan shore and hills

Economy: Grand Rapids

Airports: Grand Rapids based on passenger numbers, about equal in terms of destinations.

Downtowns: I would guess Rochester based on it being much larger at one time. Depends on how strong the core has stayed since the city started losing population. Downtown Grand Rapids stayed relatively in tact during the 70's and 80's so is fairly dense. Currently there are a couple thousand apartment units being built in downtown GR, among other things. I don't know the situation in Rochester.

Shopping: Rochester, or possibly a tie. They are similar market sizes, but some of the more trendy brands are just starting enter the GR area. They avoided Michigan during the 2000's because of it's recession, GR is catching up pretty quick though.

Education: Grand Rapids has a higher educational attainment. Rochester has more renown institutions.

Suburbs:Tie?

Diversity: Rochester is more diverse in the city limits, however the metro areas are about even. Metro Rochester is more AA, GR is more Hispanic.

Here's a side by side comparison from the CB website.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...663000,2634000

ckhthankgod you know these two areas from a comparison standpoint better than others on here what do you think?
This sounds about right. I'd say in terms of educational attainment, GR is ahead in terms of the cities, but Rochester is higher at the metro level.

Suburbs are interesting, as Rochester has an east/west split, with the eastern suburbs being more affluent(think East GR, Ada, Rockford, etc.) and the western suburbs being more blue collar/working-middle class and diverse(think Kentwood, Comstock Park and Wyoming).

In terms of diversity, Rochester's Hispanic population is mainly Puerto Rican, whereas it is mainly Mexican in GR. This kind of ties in with the food scene in Rochester, as you can find multiple Spanish Caribbean restaurants and in the SE Quadrant around South Clinton has diverse food options as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-28-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,524,286 times
I know Rochester well, but I've never been to Grand Rapids. My question is about size.

In terms of the city proper, Roc's population of 211k is more-or-less the same as GR's 195k. Likewise, the MSA's are also almost identical too (1,082,000 for Roc vs. 1,039,000 for GR).

However, in terms of urban population, whatever that means, Roc represents at 721k, a significantly higher number than GR's 570k. Yet in terms of CSA, its the opposite; GR (1,421,000) beats Roc (1,172,000).

I'm not sure what to make of these figures. Does Rochester really feel significantly more "urban" than GR? Does GR really feel like a city of 1.5 million? Which city do you think feels bigger overall?

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-28-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I know Rochester well, but I've never been to Grand Rapids. My question is about size.

In terms of the city proper, Roc's population of 211k is more-or-less the same as GR's 195k. Likewise, the MSA's are also almost identical too (1,082,000 for Roc vs. 1,039,000 for GR).

However, in terms of urban population, whatever that means, Roc represents at 721k, a significantly higher number than GR's 570k. Yet stranger still, GR posts a CSA figure of 1,421,000. I don't think Roc is part of a CSA.

I'm not sure what to make of these figures. Does Rochester really feel significantly more "urban" than GR? Does GR really feel like a city of 1.5 million? Which city do you think feels bigger overall?
I think it is a matter of earlier development for Rochester in terms of urban population. Monroe County also has about 120k more people than Kent County as well.

I believe GR'a CSA may include the Muskegon and Holland areas as well. Rochester CSA just includes Seneca and Genesee counties, which are smaller.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Haven't seen this comparison done in awhile. These cities are similar to me in that they have managed to avoid the rust belt downtown like many other areas in the Great Lakes region, and both are generally considered white collar metro areas in very scenic parts of the country.

The criteria:
Food
COL
Transit
Economy
Airports
Downtowns
Shopping
Education
Suburbs
Diversity
Forgot to give my own response so here we go
Food: Tie. ROC has a better renowned specialty (garbage plate) but I feel like GR with its brewpubs is enough to make it even.
COL: My guess is tied.
Transit: ROC
Scenery: Immediate area, ROC, within a 2 hour radius, tie.
Economy: GR by the slightest of margins, both are doing well.
Airports: GR.
Downtowns: ROC
Shopping: ROC. Though GR is catching up.
Education: ROC has more well known institutions but GR has a more educated population so tie.
Suburbs: ROC. There is a reason the best ROC suburbs can go toe to toe with the best NYC suburbs.
Diversity: Not sure.

Another category. Sports: ROC. They have both AAA baseball and the AHL

Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Forgot to give my own response so here we go
Food: Tie. ROC has a better renowned specialty (garbage plate) but I feel like GR with its brewpubs is enough to make it even.
COL: My guess is tied.
Transit: ROC
Scenery: Immediate area, ROC, within a 2 hour radius, tie.
Economy: GR by the slightest of margins, both are doing well.
Airports: GR.
Downtowns: ROC
Shopping: ROC. Though GR is catching up.
Education: ROC has more well known institutions but GR has a more educated population so tie.
Suburbs: ROC. There is a reason the best ROC suburbs can go toe to toe with the best NYC suburbs.
Diversity: Not sure.

Another category. Sports: ROC. They have both AAA baseball and the AHL
Two hour radius, is there anything comparable to Letchworth in all of Michigan?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Two hour radius, is there anything comparable to Letchworth in all of Michigan?
I can't say but I'm not very familiar with GR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City