Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region Do You Perfer?
Midwest 119 50.00%
Southeast 119 50.00%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Florida is not that Southern. Parts of northern FL are culturally Southern, but that area is lightly populated and doesn't have much of an economy.

I've spent a lot of time in Tampa and the southwest FL coast the past couple of years. There is nothing Southern about it at all. I would assume the same is true of Orlando. South FL has more of a Latin/NY influence than anything else.

I've never been to Texas. Don't care to. I'd guess some of east TX is Southern, but Dallas and Houston probably are not anymore. Once you get to San Antonio, I'd think you get more southwestern and Mexican influences.
This is a ridiculous argument. Florida is as far south as you can get. It's southern. It's not northern, Western, or Midwestern, it's the south.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
....and largely populated with Midwesterners.
I think it would be more accurate to say northern transplants in general - since there are a lot of former Northeasterners in Florida as well. But geographically, it is absolutely in the Southeast.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
This is nothing but insecurity, I mean I can't see it any other way lol.

Florida IS in the Southeast, you can't just disregard the whole state because South Florida has a distinct local culture; the state is literally connected to Alabama and Georgia.
How can opinion on Florida by flavor and sheer numbers of Northerners.... having some feel it isn't quintessential southern really (which in most of the state is true). Why call it a complex? Guess against the South or somehow lessens Florida? But still yes .... it is in the Southeastern region of the US. Lot of anger over this ...

But for me ..... Texas is the lone-wolf state NOT in the Southeastern US by region. Only if you say ALL possible SOUTHERN states is Texas included at all.
The Midwest as a region.... seems to unite the Great Lakes states and Great Plains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Runner View Post
Midwestern States
Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, N & S Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas

Southeastern States
West Virginia, Virginia, N & S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, *Texas

*You could debate whether Texas is in the Southwest or southeast, but for this poll, keep Texas in the SE.

Here is the criteria:
Cities
Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, etc vs Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, etc (exclude DC, include other cities in the regions such as Austin and Milwaukee)

Economic Future Decades Later
This one is tough, as you can’t predict the economy. Will the southeast continue to boom decades into the future, or will the southeast plateau and mass migration/economic growth shifts back to the Midwest/rust belt?

Where Would You Rather Live
Self explanatory, which region would you rather live in?
I know it's your thread to call the shots and not to question Texas in as Southeast and included ..... but
If you said SOUTHERN? Texas is possibly in? But NOT TO SAY SOUTHEASTERN.... Then Texas IS EXCLUDED to me. What is the difference between a Southern state and Southeastern state then? Your list basically includes ALL THE SOUTH in general. To include Texas with the term "Southeastern" certainly will skew the region win to the Southwest as the underlined has you expect .....

Just not getting cities left out? If the thread is on regions ..... but we include the state? Excluding St Louis, Kansas City and Columbus for the Midwest alone and states even in both regions with no city represented but we are to claim the state in the choice? New Orleans, Memphis, Raleigh/Durham, Birmingham too? I don't overall get excluding cities in regions? Mentioning cities is probably why it was left as city vs city over general US. Regions ..... but to exclude some cities is odd for a vote I then can't.

But I can give opinion on if the Southern or Southeastern states will continue to grow quicker? (just not vote in this choice set-up). It is up to CORPORATE AMERICA... if seeing the Tax structure in many Southern states as for more profit advantages, more business friendly (cost wise) to invest the most in. If weather change did create issues to come? Like sea-rising or more destructive hurricanes hitting the East or Gulf sides?? It won't help some areas .... But no major change or shift seems eminent. But serves the Nation best to have ALL regions prosper. Most HATE WINTERS too cold I get. That cn only moderate if climate change is real. Otherwise the Midwest remains less desired on winters alone.

But if cost, real estate taxation, forms of corporate taxation, pension debt issues, infrastructure replacement and redo? Have increasing need to fund in taxation? Many ills of Northern cites more revealed in Sunbelt-cities too? It could lessen the appeal and value of relocation there over the North in expansions mostly in these Southern states still today. We have been into this rise of the Sunbelt-states in its cities especially .... for a few decades now.

The New-South today .... will age too. Political huddles are becoming our major issue to address or a worst future is possible overall? Already older ranch neighborhoods like in inner-loop Houston are throwaway for newer infill.

Seems on C-D there is this battle too of ..... if the North, Midwest, rust-belt? Depending on the thread. If it will RISE AGAIN ....with more Southern growth numbers again? It is coming up a lot and MOST CLAIM in comments and polls? No slowdown in this New rising South could possibly come. Any mention of more hurricanes or sea-rise has a battlefield response happen. So only a SLIVER OF HOPE THOSE IN THE SOUTH GIVE AT BEST to a rise of the Midwest again ....

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:09 PM

624 posts, read 905,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Southeast is a geographical designation. Florida is literally the most Southeastern state in the United States.

Good God...this is getting ridiculous.
I find it ridiculous Chicago or any large metro can have large amounts of transplant but nobody questions what region it belongs to Northeast, Midwest, the South the West. But if it's Texas (south central the majority if it) or Florida (southeast) then it's no longer belongs in the south. Demographics do change but geography doesn't. I guess the south is the only one frozen in time to some.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Florida is not that Southern. Parts of northern FL are culturally Southern, but that area is lightly populated and doesn't have much of an economy.

I've spent a lot of time in Tampa and the southwest FL coast the past couple of years. There is nothing Southern about it at all. I would assume the same is true of Orlando. South FL has more of a Latin/NY influence than anything else.

I've never been to Texas. Don't care to. I'd guess some of east TX is Southern, but Dallas and Houston probably are not anymore. Once you get to San Antonio, I'd think you get more southwestern and Mexican influences.
When I hear this, I cant help but wonder, is the African American population excluded???? I ask because African Americans all over Florida and Houston definitely identify with being southern, culturally, accent, and all.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Winter was one of the best parts of my childhood. I wouldn't want to deprive my kids of enjoying a white Christmas, sledding, snowmen, skiing, Hockey or the many other enjoyable winter activities!
It snows in the south. It just doesn't become an icy wasteland for half the year. A white Christmas is possible in many places in the region

Old 10-10-2017, 04:40 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
It snows in the south. It just doesn't become an icy wasteland for half the year. A white Christmas is possible in many places in the region
I live in the Great Lakes Region, and our leaves are still mostly green. That icy wasteland for half the year, is a HUGE exaggeration people love to make. Sorry, but it makes you look ignorant.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
True, but that's only further north like you said. And even there it is less common and doesn't last that long.
But the "Southeast" gives you the option of having winters with regular snow or winters with no snow. The Midwest is more of how much snow you want or can deal with.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
But the "Southeast" gives you the option of having winters with regular snow or winters with no snow. The Midwest is more of how much snow you want or can deal with.
The citizens of the Midwest aren't prisoners, FYI.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 PM

80 posts, read 96,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Regular snow is consistent snow cover for most or all of the 3 months of winter. I understand that some parts of the Southeast get occasional snow, but it is by no means regular. Smaller snowfalls that don't last as long can't provide the same experience as what you get further north. I just want it understood that a true winter is only found in the Midwest in this comparison (whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City