Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No the debate is similarly sized geographies, not counties per se.

LA County: 4,060 sq miles/ 10 Million people

The San Francisco Metro and Santa Clara County: 3,296 sq miles/ 6.6 Million people

This however is most amazing:
LA County GDP $664 Billion
SF MSA & Santa Clara County $676 Billion

Not sure why some of you seem so threatened?
SF is both and city and a county. 800k versus 10M?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:22 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Denver is a bit tricky as you could do city, metro, CSA, or MSA. IMO the way I look at it is to measure the Front Range Urban Corridor as one contiguous populous. Starting south with Pueblo CO going up to Co Springs, Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins up to Cheyenne Wy along the i25 strip. It's right at 5 million people and growing very very quickly. The entire stretch is filling in and will expand eastward from the mountains as density becomes a problem.
As someone who recently moved back to L.A. and used to live in Denver, I can attest that it's a bit tricky to categorize Denver. It's got a ton of Midwest influence (the city sits on the Eastern Plains) but neighborhoods have vegetation comparable to parts of the west and east and much of the architecture - residential and commercial seems derivative of California in many ways.

So I would consider Denver part of "The West" but if it was any more eastbound, it would be the Midwest.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM

130 posts, read 122,902 times
Whenever you think about metro area, gdp is the one of the most important part to consider.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html

Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlxt View Post
Whenever you think about metro area, gdp is the one of the most important part to consider.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html
No, it isn’t. It’s just one of many factors. If I’m a doctor or a teacher, my city’s GDP isn’t gong to give me a higher standard of living.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No, it isn’t. It’s just one of many factors. If I’m a doctor or a teacher, my city’s GDP isn’t gong to give me a higher standard of living.
This is not a thread about standard of living.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:21 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Quote:
Denver is a bit tricky as you could do city, metro, CSA, or MSA. IMO the way I look at it is to measure the Front Range Urban Corridor as one contiguous populous. Starting south with Pueblo CO going up to Co Springs, Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins up to Cheyenne Wy along the i25 strip. It's right at 5 million people and growing very very quickly. The entire stretch is filling in and will expand eastward from the mountains as density becomes a problem.
I think that's stretching a little bit. Pueblo, CO is nearly 2 hours south of Denver and the Wyoming border is nearly 2 hours northbound.

If anything, you could break it down to:

1. Denver / Boulder / Lakewood / Aurora - Denver Metro

2. Colorado Springs, CO / Pueblo, CO

3. Ft. Collins, CO / Loveland, CO / Cheyenne, WY

Old 10-21-2017, 01:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
The Front Range is a Megaregion, not a Metropolitan Area (MSA) nor a Metropolitan Region (CSA).

Here's what's really going to happen going forward with Greater Denver:

The Denver CSA will absorb the Fort Collins MSA, it is imminent, which is increasingly a satellite bedroom community as it is, this will happen sometime soon between 5-10 years from now. This will effectively bring Denver's population profile in lockstep with the Seattles, Tampas, and Phoenixes of the American expanse (Greater Tampa Bay Area will go through some consolidations and expansions of its own during this time period). All four of these places will probably catch up to Greater Detroit, size wise, in short order afterwards.

Over the longer term, maybe two decades to three decades, Colorado Springs MSA by itself will surpass 1 million people but will also merge with Pueblo CSA at some point in the next 20 years.

This will leave Colorado with 2 PCSAs exceeding 1 million people: Greater Denver and Greater Colorado Springs-Pueblo. That's where commuter trends and interlinking are taking these places.

That will in essence mirror a familiar scenario that has already unfolded (see AZ) or started to unfold (see WA, CO, NV) in the West's other second tier states -- where each second tier state has two PCSAs over 1 million people. In Arizona, see Phoenix and Tucson, for example, the latter has already cracked 1 million people. Then in Washington there is Seattle and Spokane, the latter of which, like Colorado Springs, is also poised to crack 1 million people as well. There will be Denver and Colorado Springs in Colorado. As well as Las Vegas and Reno in Nevada, the latter of which (Reno), should surpass 1 million at some point as well.

When it comes to the Western United States, the next 30 years or so is pretty important for the West's second tier of states (Western states behind CA), since they will go through the most rapid change and metamorphosis in that time span within their broader region.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-21-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 11:53 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
This isnt a revelation to people that have been paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The UK Guardian
Forget Los Angeles. If you want to get rich and famous fast, in anything from food to fashion, San Francisco is the place to be...
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-trend-capital

Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
is it?

Map of 2017 Fortune 500 Companies

lol

It is. LA has human capital if we are to value all human lives equally. LA is Goliath. Its like trying to say DC beats NYC because it has a higher per capita income level.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
This is about cities. It's about what people have done, not their existence as people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City