Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Jacksonville 46 44.23%
Atlanta 58 55.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times

Advertisements

Which city do you prefer to live based on the following criteria?

- Cost of living
- Quality of life
- Crime/safety
- Traffic/transportation
- Nightlife
- Activities
- Weather
- Culture
- Economy

JAX is nice and all, but after 4 years I'm ready to move back to Atlanta. I just prefer the busy city atmosphere. I'm not really a big fan of the beach, and I prefer to be able to go hiking in the mountains and back in one day as the drive is only an hour and some change each way. The traffic on I-295 in JAX seems to be just as bad as 285 in Atlanta, and there's less lanes on the freeway, plus public transit is not an option (nothing like the MARTA rail). The cost of living is lower in JAX, but the jobs pay better in ATL and there's more oppurtunities. The crime rate is about the same, but lately it seems like JAX is getting worse while ATL is getting safer. I like how Atlanta has seasons as opposed to Jacksonville's 11 months of summer and only 3 days of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Crime is just shifted to the inner suburbs in Atlanta, no way Jacksonville is as rough as metro Atlanta. It’s just that most of the people who cause crime actually stay in the huge city limits of Jacksonville. But this is misleading, because college park and east Point are some of the most dangerous areas in the nation, and have an Atlanta brand being directly south of it, but their crime is counted separately.

Besides that, Jacksonville is good for older people or people who love slower-paced coastal living.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
COL: Jacksonville
QOL: jacksonville
Crime/Safety: Atlanta
Traffic: jacksonville
Nightlife: Atlanta
Activities: Jacksonville
Weather: Jacksonville
Culture: Atlanta
Economy: Atlanta

I scored this 5-4 in favor of Jacksonville even though I like Atlanta a lot. The coastal beach weather and proximity to the beach tips the scale. If you aren't a beach/water person then Atlanta would win.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
Never been to Jacksonville, but not sure if it can compete with ATL in any category aside from having the beach nearby.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
COL: Jacksonville
QOL: jacksonville
Crime/Safety: Atlanta
Traffic: jacksonville
Nightlife: Atlanta
Activities: Jacksonville
Weather: Jacksonville
Culture: Atlanta
Economy: Atlanta

I scored this 5-4 in favor of Jacksonville even though I like Atlanta a lot. The coastal beach weather and proximity to the beach tips the scale. If you aren't a beach/water person then Atlanta would win.
Does Jacksonville win the activities category to you simply because of the beach?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
As much as I love Jax and as much as it is improving in many ways, there's absolutely no way it can compete if you like city living. Most metrics would have to favor ATL...by A LOT. Jax is simply much much smaller, end of story.

Among the relatively few advantages that Jax holds, I would add all of the waterways not just the beach. The St Johns River, particularly in the urban core, offers spectacular views that ATL lacks. There is significant fishing, boating and other water activities all throughout the city not just at the beach.

Of course ATL wins in...forget it, no need to list. Basically all categories that favor larger cities goes to ATL.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
As much as I love Jax and as much as it is improving in many ways, there's absolutely no way it can compete if you like city living. Most metrics would have to favor ATL...by A LOT. Jax is simply much much smaller, end of story.

Among the relatively few advantages that Jax holds, I would add all of the waterways not just the beach. The St Johns River, particularly in the urban core, offers spectacular views that ATL lacks. There is significant fishing, boating and other water activities all throughout the city not just at the beach.

Of course ATL wins in...forget it, no need to list. Basically all categories that favor larger cities goes to ATL.
As an Atlantan that's also a former Floridian, I have to give Jacksonville some props.

It's the most underrated of Florida's large metro's, but it doesn't deserve to be. There are some beautiful close-in streetcar neighborhoods on both sides of the St. Johns River in Riverside-Avondale and San Marco. It was the largest City in Florida for years and has the best historic urban bones in the State by far, and a renaissance is finally underway in the core. The beaches are nice, as are the various towns that line them. The cost of living is lower, it has several solid business sectors that are growing, the traffic is better and the people are friendly. There are wonderful places like Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island and St. Augustine 45 minutes away.

I can think of a lot less desirable places to be.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
If I'm going to live in a hot and humid climate it might was well come with a beach. I vote Jacksonville.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
If I'm going to live in a hot and humid climate it might was well come with a beach. I vote Jacksonville.
Being 1,000 feet above sea level, Atlanta isn't nearly as humid as Jacksonville - and we get wonderful breaks from fronts occasionally between June & Sept.

But yeah, the beach is always nice when it's hot. And the St. John's is huge in places, and has cool creeks and tributaries. Jacksonville beats Atlanta in the nearby water department, hands down.

But we do have the beautiful Chattahoochee.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
If Jacksonville is as boring as everyone on City Data says, I don't know never been to the city I will go for Atlanta in this poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City