Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 PM

630 posts, read 1,086,760 times

Advertisements

I'm a Black male who was born and raised in Chicago from 68 to 01. Moved to Atlanta at age 33, and lived there for 6 years.

Atlanta is a MUCH more diverse city. The excitement and electricity of Atlanta FAR surpasses most anything Chicago has to offer (other than downtown).

I can't explain it, but something about Atlanta (and the metro area) just lifts me up more than Chicago EVER has. (Chicago will always be home, though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,374,983 times
Chicago

Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,113,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I'm a Black male who was born and raised in Chicago from 68 to 01. Moved to Atlanta at age 33, and lived there for 6 years.

Atlanta is a MUCH more diverse city. The excitement and electricity of Atlanta FAR surpasses most anything Chicago has to offer (other than downtown).

I can't explain it, but something about Atlanta (and the metro area) just lifts me up more than Chicago EVER has. (Chicago will always be home, though.)
I'm assuming when you say "diverse" you are referring to something other than racial diversity. Atlanta is a mostly black/white city. Chicago is 1/3 black/Hispanic/white and increasingly Asian, particularly in the core neighborhoods from River North to Chinatown.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:

I couldn’t disagree more. Chicago is more diverse and is far more exciting/electric. I think a lot of people have negative impressions of their hometowns based on when and where they lived in the city. If you have Chicago baggage, you’re definitely going to think more highly of the city to which you escaped.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,378,795 times
I'm not worried about which is more diverse because theyre both diverse enough for us.

What I am still worried about though is Atlanta's current housing building habits and traffic, and all the negative talk about the Illinois government and taxes, and how survivable subzero Chicago winters are for a southerner.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'm not worried about which is more diverse because theyre both diverse enough for us.

What I am still worried about though is Atlanta's current housing building habits and traffic, and all the negative talk about the Illinois government and taxes, and how survivable subzero Chicago winters are for a southerner.
The weather is a legitimate problem for you, but in less you were involved with CPS, the state government really is not going to impact your day-to-day life.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,378,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The weather is a legitimate problem for you, but in less you were involved with CPS, the state government really is not going to impact your day-to-day life.
I assume CPS is Chicago Public Schools?? Okay well Illinois has been ranked the state most residents would prefer to leave, and judging by the census many are actually leaving. How is the whole state affected by Chicago schools?

When I was in Chicago I actually watched the news, since I managed to get on it, and there was a debate about the soda tax and a lot of dialogue about the politicians. On and off CD, I'm constantly hearing about Illinois' politicians and tax/fiscal problem. What is the deal there?

Every state has it's governmental issues, but it seems to almost be a running joke with Illinois at the point. I can't tell if the concerns are legit or if it's just people on the other end of the spectrum getting a kick out of kicking Illinois. And if Illinois taxes are typical, why are they so discussed?

Georgia's doesn't exactly get a gold star either, but you don't hear about as much issues.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,771,705 times
Quote:

In terms of racial/ethnic diversity, Chicago is MUCH more diverse than Atlanta. Atlanta is a African American/ white American city. Chicago is even more diverse if you breakdown the white population by ethnic heritage (Polish, Irish, Ukranian, Italian, Greek, etc). About 30% Hispanic, mostly Mexican but we have around the 3rd/4th largest Puero Rican population. Sizable Asian population (esp Chinese and Filipino), with a large legit Chinatown and large Vietnamese (Argyle) and Indian/Pakistani (Devon) bustling ethnic neighborhoods. You won't find anything close to that kind of diversity in Atlanta.

If you're talking about diversity in terms of thinks to do, I'd argue Chicag is still way more diverse, but that is more subjective since opinions vary from person to person.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,171 times
Quote:

Atlanta is nowhere near as diverse as Chicago. Chicago is a much more active city as well. That being said, Atlanta probably is the more exciting city for many black people. It has a very large population of professional blacks from all over the country.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 PM

138 posts, read 167,384 times
Quote:

The last part may be very true but the middle is just plain silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City