Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

Which of the following cities have the best urban parks? Please include any park that has been created in an urban area for an urban setting. That means the park should be activated. It should have interactive features. This thread is not for natural parks that happen to bump up against cities. It's for urban parks like the highline in NYC etc. or Millennium park in Chicago. Looking forward to hearing about the many urban parks around the country. Feel free to discuss any parks included in an urban redevelopment or reuse as well.

-Denver
-Philadelphia
-Boston
-San Francisco
-Washington D.C.
-Cleveland
-Cincinnati
-Atlanta
-Seattle
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Pittsburgh
-Kansas City
-St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
IMHO, the city with the best urban parks isn't even on the list: Savannah. The squares combined with Forsyth Park are unmatched in any city in this country.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
I though Seattle's Olympic Sculpture Park was pretty cool......
Olympic Sculpture Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland's downtown waterfront park on the Willamette River is another good one.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-30-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Could we list the parks along with these cities to provide reference? I haven't personally been to every city or its park.

E.g. Minneapolis-St. Paul: Chain of Lakes ("Grand Rounds")

Here's my shot at this:

-Denver: City Park (have only seen pics of it but it looks like Denver's answer to the Grand Rounds in Mpls or St. Louis' Forest Park)
-Philadelphia
-Boston
-San Francisco: Golden Gate Park (My family lives there and I've only visited the park maybe once or twice, but I know it to be a National relic and is often rated amongst THE best parks in the country, if not the world)
-Washington D.C.: Which One? (D.C. has so many I'm not sure which to highlight, but obviously stuff like the Washington Monument is among the most iconic and beautiful parks in the country)
-Cleveland: MetroParks/"Emerald Necklace" (Very unique in that this land has been preserved for over 100 years and is completely unspoiled. Not "urban" in the sense of some of these other parks, but a beautiful asset to the city and a great urban escape)
-Cincinnati
-Atlanta
-Seattle: Monument Park? (I've only seen pics, but wow! Doesn't seem as accessible as some parks but I wouldn't know)
-Minneapolis/St. Paul: Grand Rounds (I have bias, but it's one of my faves and arguably one of the best in the nation.....A treasure)
-Pittsburgh: Carnegie Park? (I went to a big park in Pittsburgh but don't know the name. I liked it though, very nice)
-Kansas City
-St. Louis: Forest Park (an unreal urban treasure few cities can compete with. I've only seen in pics but it should be up there)

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 10-30-2013 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
IMHO, the city with the best urban parks isn't even on the list: Savannah. The squares combined with Forsyth Park are unmatched in any city in this country.
Strong words. I haven't yet been to Savannah and don't doubt its beautiful parks, but my guess is you haven't been to all of the parks in this country either, and there are so many that are so beautiful in their own unique way that it's hard to define a "best".

Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I though Seattle's Olympic Sculpture Park was pretty cool......
Olympic Sculpture Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland's downtown waterfront park on the Willamette River is another good one.

This park looks really nice. I will have to add that to one of my things to do next time I'm out that way.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,811 times
Forest Park in St. Louis is almost unmatched in the USA. Having hosted the 1904 World's Fair (largest in history), the park is still the cultural crown jewel of the city, home to the Saint Louis Art Museum, the Zoo, the Science Center, Muny Opera Theatre, History Museum, lakes, sports facilities, pavilions and a number of other amenities. And it's 500 acres larger than Central Park in NYC.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Forest Park in St. Louis is almost unmatched in the USA. Having hosted the 1904 World's Fair (largest in history), the park is still the cultural crown jewel of the city, home to the Saint Louis Art Museum, the Zoo, the Science Center, Muny Opera Theatre, History Museum, lakes, sports facilities, pavilions and a number of other amenities. And it's 500 acres larger than Central Park in NYC.

Fairmont park in Philadelphia includes Museum of Art, the Barnes Foundation, The Rodin, The Zoo, The Please touch museum, boat house row, an outdoor ampitheater that host host summer concerts including the orchestra etc.

its a total of about 10,000 acres

It also hosted the Worlds Fair

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
so Central Park, GGP and Lincoln Park don't count?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fairmont park in Philadelphia includes Museum of Art, the Barnes Foundation, The Rodin, The Zoo, The Please touch museum, boat house row, an outdoor ampitheater that host host summer concerts including the orchestra etc.

its a total of about 10,000 acres

It also hosted the Worlds Fair
True. Fairmount Park is silly awesome in every way. I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City