Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Please read the report and understand the city you left years ago is not the same. I think the Brookings report would be a positive thing to walk away from and understand as well as the TIME videos.

And I said IMO. If you would read some very informative articles you would understand A.I and robotics are 2 very important industries Amazon is looking to enter and Amazon has been sponsoring CMU for YEARS. In terms of ranking regions and cities/metros IN MY OPINION Pittsburgh is a Top 5.
Please keep in mind that while I live at altitude, I have not lost any brain cells up here, nor have I fried my brain with any legal recreational marijuana that we have. I also own a TV (several), a computer and subscribe to several newspapers. I have family in Pittsburgh and have for forever. I get back there occasionally, the last time this past September. IOW, I know what's happening in Pittsburgh, at least in the big picture. I get tired of having to explain this.

And while these "lists" that various media put out have their limitations, the lists of cities with the most tech jobs tend to include the same cities over and over (with a few outliers like Grand Rapids, Ogden, Provo, Palm Bay, FL, etc) and some are conspicuous by their absence.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/27/tech...on-valley.html
Seattle
DC
Detroit
Denver
Austin
SF
DFW
NYC
Orlando
Raleigh-Durham

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#4b024c9338f6
SFO
Charlotte
Austin
San Jose
Indy
Raleigh
Nashville
Seattle
Detroit
Denver
Salt Lake City
Dallas
Phoenix
Grand Rapids, MI
Kansas City

The most high-tech cities in the US - Business Insider
Miami
Phoenix
Houston
Philadelphia
DC
Dallas
Chicago
Boston
LA
NYC
SF

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...obs-2017-10-26
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Washington.
California-Lexington Park, Maryland.
Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Raleigh, North Carolina.
Washington, D.C., Arlington-Alexandria, Virginia, Maryland.
Boulder, Colorado. (With a nod to Denver)
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, California.
Austin-Round Rock, Texas.

15 Cities With the Most High-Tech Jobs - 24/7 Wall St.
Portland, OR
Ogden-Clearfield UT
Houston
Provo-Orem UT
San Diego
Raleigh
Austin
Boson
DC
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL
Wichita
SFO
Detroit
Seattle
San Jose

I interpreted your statement about Pittsburgh being in the top 5 to mean it was your opinion that was why Pittsburgh made the top 5, which have not been released. I understand what you're saying now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One thing to keep in mind for Pittsburgh is something like 20% of the city is nearly unbuildable slope. The same factor doesn't affect the other four cities, which are significantly flatter.

Even on the census tract level, steep slopes are included with dense areas in many parts of the city. It's only if you get down to the block level you see the pockets of very high density. Here is the 2010 map If i were done today, there would be a lot more red, due to significant new clumps of apartments popping up across the city.

Again though, the OP's question was not why the Pittsburgh metro performed better than the other rust belt metros. It was why Pittsburgh's core city performed better than the core cities of other rust belt metros.
Always some "special pleading" for Pittsburgh.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...ecial-Pleading

Cincy is quite hilly, too, so I've heard. (The one city on your list I haven't been to)

It's a little hard to separate Pittsburgh or any city from its metro. Maybe especially Pittsburgh since so much industry was in the burbs. But I re-read the OP and you're right.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Always some "special pleading" for Pittsburgh.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...ecial-Pleading

Cincy is quite hilly, too, so I've heard. (The one city on your list I haven't been to)

It's a little hard to separate Pittsburgh or any city from its metro. Maybe especially Pittsburgh since so much industry was in the burbs. But I re-read the OP and you're right.
It is hilly in spots, but most of the land is not steep enough to be a big problem for building there from what I've seen. It doesn't have the many cliffs and ravines that Pittsburgh does.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please keep in mind that while I live at altitude, I have not lost any brain cells up here, nor have I fried my brain with any legal recreational marijuana that we have. I also own a TV (several), a computer and subscribe to several newspapers. I have family in Pittsburgh and have for forever. I get back there occasionally, the last time this past September. IOW, I know what's happening in Pittsburgh, at least in the big picture. I get tired of having to explain this.

I interpreted your statement about Pittsburgh being in the top 5 to mean it was your opinion that was why Pittsburgh made the top 5, which have not been released. I understand what you're saying now.
I never said Pittsburgh is the top tech city in the USA, clearly being a mid size city with a modest metro of around 2 Million, (an area just slightly larger than the City of Philadelphia alone) other parts of the country have higher tech concentrations. But the quality of the work being done in Pittsburgh is top notch, and the Brookings report really proves that Pittsburgh is adding quality not quantity and in terms of its regional economy, and on many metrics of economic performance, wage and skills growth ranks in the Top 10 metros nationwide.

This forum is comparing Pittsburgh to other rust belt cities, and Pittsburgh definitely has come out on the top in comparison.

This is a great article from only the other week, I recommend. And please do read that Brookings Report. There is a reason Pittsburgh is in the Top 20.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/how...innovation-hub

In terms of 'prosperity' Pittsburgh is outranking Denver right now.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, transit in the US is awful compared to cities in peer developed countries—is this topic comparing transit in Pittsburgh to transit in Prague?
My point is that if metro A has 6% transit usage, and metro B has 4% transit usage, it's basically the same. There's no meaningful difference. It isn't like metro A is going to have a noticeably different built form and connectivity. U.S. metros, excepting NYC are pretty uniquely car-oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pittsburgh isn’t blowing out the other cities in this group—it just does relatively well in most categories compared to others in this group (not on the West Coast, not in the European Union, but this group). The question was why.
And I agree Pittsburgh (city proper) is doing reasonably well compared to this specific peer group. I just think the differences are pretty marginal, and Pittsburgh isn't that much of an outlier.

And many of the differences can be explained by Pittsburgh's smaller city limits and generally more white population. It just happened that random city boundaries encompassed a few more stable areas. If you look by metro (a more apples-to-apples comparison) the marginal differences mostly evaporate.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
No response to the Brookings report that ranks the U.S 100 LARGEST METROS I posted with Pittsburgh outperforming every other rust belt city on metrics that matter. ?
By metro? Pittsburgh is not outperforming other Rust Belt metros. Certainly not by population or economy.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
By metro? Pittsburgh is not outperforming other Rust Belt metros. Certainly not by population or economy.
Educate yourself and read the Brookings Report. Your ignorance is astounding. Your basis of ranking a metro solely on population growth lacks any serious comprehension of analytics.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...oard/#V1G15980

Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Educate yourself and read the Brookings Report. Your ignorance is astounding. Your basis of ranking a metro solely on population growth lacks any serious comprehension of analytics.
Since you're the one imploring others to "educate themselves" and to develop "serious comprehension of analytics", let's indulge your silliness with actual data.

Let's compare Metro Pittsburgh to Metro Detroit, probably the nation's punching bag metro. I mean, if Pittsburgh is performing better than "every metro" than certainly it performs better than the "worst".

Population trends (as of 2016):

Metro Detroit is growing per Census (MSA and CSA). Metro Pittsburgh is declining per Census (MSA and CSA).

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Housing starts (as of 2017):

10,011 units of new housing in Detroit MSA
1,868 units of new housing in Pittsburgh MSA

https://www.census.gov/construction/...t3yu201712.txt

Economic growth (as of 2016)

Metro Detroit has higher annual rate of economic growth than Metro Pittsburgh.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ann_glance.htm

So Metro Pittsburgh is trailing even Metro Detroit on major Census categories. Yet the claim is that Pittsburgh outperforms all the Rust Belt metros. We aren't exactly comparing to Seattle here. Can you say homerism?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
My point is that if metro A has 6% transit usage, and metro B has 4% transit usage, it's basically the same. There's no meaningful difference. It isn't like metro A is going to have a noticeably different built form and connectivity. U.S. metros, excepting NYC are pretty uniquely car-oriented.

And I agree Pittsburgh (city proper) is doing reasonably well compared to this specific peer group. I just think the differences are pretty marginal, and Pittsburgh isn't that much of an outlier.

And many of the differences can be explained by Pittsburgh's smaller city limits and generally more white population. It just happened that random city boundaries encompassed a few more stable areas. If you look by metro (a more apples-to-apples comparison) the marginal differences mostly evaporate.
Why don't you use something with the actual stats posted?

You had transit trips per capita for metro and you had percentages for the city.

Pittsburgh has 17% of its workforce commuting by transit. Among its peer cities, this is high. Not compared to NYC.

The last parts of your sentence address the topic directly, though I don't think the differences evaporate. On a very practical level, what you're tossing aside is pretty important--those random city boundaries for Pittsburgh include a lot of people and neighborhoods that can generate revenue. That less stark population loss difference between metro and city means the city's power doesn't diminish as much compared to its suburbs which I think played a pretty decent role in wrecking Detroit as Metro Detroit pretended that Detroit didn't matter so much and they can go at it on their own.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
A few years ago, the Washington Post put together an interactive map ranking the combined income and college education attainment of every ZIP code in the United States by percentile (the higher, the better). Each ZIP code is colored by percentile, with dark blue as 0th-19th, medium blue as 20th-39th, light blue as 40th-59th, cyan as 60th-79th, green as 80th-94th, and yellow as 95th-99th.

Using this information, I looked at all the ZIP codes that are either entirely or partially in Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis cities proper, and I compiled a list of all "comfortable" and "distressed" ZIP codes in each, with comfortable being the 60th percentile or higher, and distressed being lower than the 20th percentile. Here are the results:

Comfortable Baltimore ZIP codes

21210 (96th percentile)
21209 (87th percentile)
21208 (81st percentile)
21212 (81st percentile)
21230 (73rd percentile)
21231 (67th percentile)
21211 (66th percentile)
21214 (66th percentile)
21237 (61st percentile)
21234 (60th percentile)

Distressed Baltimore ZIP codes

21205 (2nd percentile)
21223 (4th percentile)
21213 (8th percentile)
21225 (9th percentile)
21216 (12th percentile)
21217 (17th percentile)

Comfortable Cincinnati ZIP codes

45208 (92nd percentile)
45226 (91st percentile)
45233 (78th percentile)
45230 (76th percentile)
45209 (73rd percentile)
45213 (69th percentile)

Distressed Cincinnati ZIP codes

45225 (0th percentile)
45214 (2nd percentile)
45232 (5th percentile)
45205 (7th percentile)
45204 (8th percentile)
45207 (12th percentile)
45203 (13th percentile)
45216 (14th percentile)

Comfortable Cleveland ZIP codes

44118 (72nd percentile)
44121 (63rd percentile)

Distressed Cleveland ZIP codes

44104 (0th percentile)
44103 (2nd percentile)
44110 (2nd percentile)
44127 (2nd percentile)
44105 (4th percentile)
44112 (4th percentile)
44108 (5th percentile)
44109 (7th percentile)
44102 (10th percentile)
44128 (13th percentile)
44135 (18th percentile)
44115 (19th percentile)

Comfortable Detroit ZIP codes

48236 (93rd percentile)

Distressed Detroit ZIP codes

48210 (1st percentile)
48213 (1st percentile)
48204 (2nd percentile)
48209 (2nd percentile)
48211 (2nd percentile)
48215 (2nd percentile)
48212 (3rd percentile)
48217 (3rd percentile)
48234 (3rd percentile)
48205 (4th percentile)
48238 (4th percentile)
48203 (5th percentile)
48228 (5th percentile)
48206 (6th percentile)
48208 (6th percentile)
48216 (9th percentile)
48227 (9th percentile)
48214 (13th percentile)
48224 (15th percentile)
48235 (16th percentile)
48223 (18th percentile)
48202 (19th percentile)
48219 (19th percentile)

Comfortable Pittsburgh ZIP codes

15217 (83rd percentile)
15222 (75th percentile)
15220 (70th percentile)
15232 (68th percentile)
15216 (61st percentile)

Distressed Pittsburgh ZIP codes

15210 (10th percentile)
15219 (11th percentile)
15233 (12th percentile)
15204 (16th percentile)

Comfortable St. Louis ZIP codes

63101 (64th percentile)
63102 (64th percentile)
63109 (61st percentile)

Distressed St. Louis ZIP codes

63106 (1st percentile)
63120 (3rd percentile)
63115 (7th percentile)
63113 (8th percentile)
63147 (8th percentile)
63136 (9th percentile)
63107 (10th percentile)
63137 (13th percentile)
63111 (14th percentile)
63118 (19th percentile)

Only Baltimore and Pittsburgh have more comfortable ZIP codes than distressed. Only Pittsburgh and St. Louis have downtowns in comfortable ZIP codes. Only Cleveland and Detroit have no comfortable ZIP codes entirely within the cities proper. Only Baltimore, Cincinnati and Detroit have ZIP codes in the 90th percentile or higher. Only Pittsburgh has no ZIP codes below the 10th percentile. Only Cincinnati and Cleveland have ZIP codes in the 0th percentile.

Here are screenshots of each city proper and the ZIP codes therein:

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

I'd rank the health of each city proper this way, from best to worst:

1. Baltimore
2. Pittsburgh
3. St. Louis
4. Cincinnati
5. Cleveland
6. Detroit

Worth noting is that Baltimore, Cincinnati and St. Louis are not considered "Rust Belt" nearly as often as Cleveland, Detroit or Pittsburgh, but if you look at the lists and maps above, you'll see that Pittsburgh looks most similar to Baltimore and, to a lesser extent, St. Louis, without the large areas of distressed ZIP codes like Cleveland and Detroit. This is why it's not wrong to say that Pittsburgh has been doing pretty well relative to other Rust Belt cities, regardless of whether it's growing or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City